Southern_Man

Wings Semi-stowless deployment bag

I was asking about a semi-stowless from Wings about 6 weeks or so ago (said they didn't have one because they hadn't been able to get it right in testing). Noticed while I was poking around on their website that they are now offering one. Looks like it has four stows prior to figure 8ing the lines.

Has anybody used one? How does it compare to other semi-stowless bags?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Interesting. I ordered a new Wings container in June and they never mentioned it. It took bit of digging to get info on the reserve boost system too.

Since I've not got delivery of it yet I'm enquiring about a possible upgrade :)

Hi Southern,

I just sent you a PM.

For anyone of you out there: If any of you might want to have a look-see at my NoStoBag, just get in touch & I'll send a demo one out for you to look over; but not to use.

I only expect that anyone will ship it back within ~ 10 days.

JerryBaumchen

I have a couple of hundred jumps using a Jerry Baumchem MagBag which is a Dbag for the main looking like a reserve Dbag but instead of velcro, Jerry put 2 pairs of strong magnets. I just love it. I even tested it with a friend of mine shooting a video. The line extraction is super clean, taut and orderly (the lines come out of the Dbag from the middle), nothing to compare with ordinary Dbags with two rows of rubber bands. And the beauty is that it makes the opening as softer as any other bag. Jerry now has almost the same Dbag but changed the magnets for two tuck tabs on the top of the pocket only. I have seen it and this is the Dbag I would use if mine had to be replaced. The design is so simple and as I said before, you don't have to worry for replacing the rubber bands. I use two big tandem rig tube stows to close the Dbag flap, and these tube stows have to be changed every 50-65 jumps. Have a look on the picture included.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I have just got delivery of a Wings semi-stowless bag. It's made slightly differently from the one posted on their website in that the grommets that position the locking stows are held in place by one strip of fabric rather than one per grommet (the wings photo is here). The one on Wings' website has a triangular flap too which does not appear on the production bag.

So here it is:
[inline W8_3_19_sml.jpg]

There are 4 mouth locking stows which are secured with knotted bungee cord which I am assuming means that the length can be adjusted to suit the canopy pack volume. A small washer sits behind each knot which stops it being pulled through the grommet (in the photo below I have pulled each stow down to show the knot and washer)

[inline W8_3_21_sml.jpg]

The mouth locks appear to be held in place in the bag just using friction so it remains to be seen if they remain in place during deployment or if they snap. I'll stock up on bungee cord and washers just in case.

The mouth locking bungee cord on my bag (a Pulse 170 in a Wings W8-3 ext container) did not appear to be very tightly held in place. Pulling the lines from the mouth locks did not take much resistance, only the last one in the deployment sequence was tighter. It was possible to hold the bag off the ground from the lines with the mouth locks in place.

The lines themselves are S-folded in a pouch which is closed by two tuck flaps on the top and sewn to the side of the bag.

[inline W8_3_12_sml.jpg]

[inline W8_3_13_sml.jpg]

[inline W8_3_14_sml.jpg]

This arrangement allows the pouch flap to be pulled back about 1/3rd of the way to give access to fold the lines into it.

[inline W8_3_18_sml.jpg]
Canopy in bag

[inline W8_3_23_sml.jpg]
With canopy removed.

[inline W8_3_15_sml.jpg]
With lines stowed.

The rest of the bag looks pretty standard

[inline W8_3_22_sml.jpg]

I have not jumped it yet so I'll post again when I've done this and also get some footage of the deployment sequence.

Best wishes, :)
Adam.