-Denys-

Bubble gum on a container...

Try rubbing it gently with ice then peel off what you can.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

-Denys-

Does anyone know how to remove chewing gum from container ?

You know those cans that have compressed air (usually used to blow away dust on your desk or computer or keyboard etc.)

Well, if you invert that can over and spray it turns into a liquid that freezes instantly at room temperature. You can spray that liquid onto the gum then carefully peal the gum out.

The good thing is that liquid evaporates quickly. The bad thing is that liquid evaporates quickly. I've used this method to remove gum from my shoes and it worked.

Give it a try and good luck

So you know for a fact that the chemicals used in the compressed "air" cans are safe for webbing and other container material?

Your shoe isn't a life saving device, but please continue, I wouldn't want safety or common sense to get in the way of your habit of making statements of fact that you pulled out of your ass.

If this was an episode of dropzone.com survivor, I would be tempted to use my save on Gregspo, just to get you off the island.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Ice might not cut it, but if you get some dry ice, or liquid nitrogen (if you have a source), it will freeze it rock solid instantly and it will "break" off. Dry ice can be found at places like Praxair and you can get a 10Lb block for $14 or something ridiculous like that.

Then, when you get the gum off your rig, drive to he dropzone and bring the dry ice. Find every pop bottle you can and have some fun. I did this once and it took about 45 minutes for 2 police cars to arrive and ask us to stop shooting guns. We explained what was actually going on, and they said to carry on. We stopped in respect of the neighbours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHGK37jBp8
"When once you have tasted flight..."

DougH

So you know for a fact that the chemicals used in the compressed "air" cans are safe for webbing and other container material?

Your shoe isn't a life saving device, but please continue, I wouldn't want safety or common sense to get in the way of your habit of making statements of fact that you pulled out of your ass.

If this was an episode of dropzone.com survivor, I would be tempted to use my save on Gregspo, just to get you off the island.

Don't vote me off just yet...you always need a villian to go against at the final 3 ;)

Oh and I did take of bubble gum off my shoe by using compressed air inverted.

hookitt

Off the top my head

Goof Off
Goo Gone
Wax and Grease Remover
General Adhesive Cleaner
Lighter fluid

Pick one and give it a shot.

Hope that helps

I have used Goo Gone to remove chewing gum from a cordura bag and it worked well.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

DocPop

I have used Goo Gone to remove chewing gum from a cordura bag and it worked well.

Goo Gone is great stuff and very effective. However I do not want it anywhere near my parachute. Acetone, Methanol and tuolene. Attached is the MSDS.

http://www.lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS/PDFs/517/GooGone%20(Homax).pdf

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

Goo Gone is great stuff and very effective. However I do not want it anywhere near my parachute. Acetone, Methanol and tuolene. Attached is the MSDS.

http://www.lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS/PDFs/517/GooGone%20(Homax).pdf

Yeah - I can speak to efficacy, but not safety!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Methanol has been shown to accelerate the degradation of Nylon (polyamide). I would stay away from any protic solvents. So be very careful with the GooGones and other liquid solvent formulations.

GooniesKids advice isn't bad. The molecules in the compressed air shouldn't bother anything (but I haven't researched that thoroughly nor tested it myself... I leave that up to the person with the gum on rig). My only concern with this approach is getting the polymers that make up the rig components so cold that they drop below their glass-transition temperature. This would mean they get super brittle and would be prone to cracking once frozen.

If it were my personal rig, I would do ice or the compressed air trick. IF using compressed air, get ONLY the gum JUST COLD ENOUGH to pull off.

Qualification: Polymer chemist who has spent a good number of years studying what makes Nylons degrade and how rapidly it happens.

kunosoura

Qualification: Polymer chemist who has spent a good number of years studying what makes Nylons degrade and how rapidly it happens.

Well, that would be handy in any of those discussions about old skydiving gear and the degree to which nylon canopies and webbing age and lose strength etc.! But that's for another day.

FWIW, this is what is recommended in my container's manual...

Chewing gum
Freeze with ice cube/scrape/
solvent/blot/
detergent/blot/
water/blot

Detergent
One teaspoon neutral powder detergent (e.g. Tide or All) in 1 pint warm water.

Solvent
Dry cleaning fluid - preferably 1.1.1 trichlorethane

-Denys-

Does anyone know how to remove chewing gum from container ?

"Simple Green" organic spray cleaner.

Availabe at any grocery, drug, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, or Lowes store.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

DougH

Normal air is not bad for your container, so why should compressed air be bad for your container?! There shouldn't be any chemicals mixed into 'air'.

As long as it is real compressed air and nothing else.

I like the idea about chewing the gum off.

Where's the nice kitty, thats a eco friendly solution and good for the planet

Someone mentioned using cold. Some home's in the US have coffin size freezers. Maybe try putting the rig in a trash bag and putting the whole thing in the freezer for a couple of hrs.

If you see a dude chewing gum in the packing area>:( If its a nice lady :P

One Jump Wonder

masterrig

If I'm not mistaken, the propellant is LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) which should not hurt the fabric.

Chuck

Not any longer, unless you get some old cans. They moved away from using flammable gasses like butane and LPG.

RE: Flybear, I used "air" in quotation marks, because it isn't air.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P