RyAnBoMb14

New or Used Rig

I am looking to get my first rig. I tried talking to my instructor after he moved DZ's when I finished AFF but he is not responding back to me. I am currently looking at Wings rigs right now because they offer 40% discount for active military and I believe that will be a really cheap option then paying $100-$200 less for a used rig. Also for a main and reserve. I am 5'9" and 195 with a athletic build. So what size canopy and type I would need.

ALl depends on how much jumping are you planing on doing over the next few years. Planing on doing 200+ jumps. Then I would highly recommend a used system. Once you put about 200+ jumps on a canopy loaded less than 1/1 you might want something smaller 1.2/1 and at that range of 230-190 Sqf and the container you might buy new might not be able to hold anything smaller, with that also consider crappy landings, wet landings (all depends on where you jump), etc. If you have a cheap used rig that you can beat up then why not.
After you reach the point on knowing what you want, then go ahead and buy something new that will last you and you will be able to put a few 1000 jumps in it.

RyAnBoMb14

I am looking to get my first rig. I tried talking to my instructor after he moved DZ's when I finished AFF but he is not responding back to me. I am currently looking at Wings rigs right now because they offer 40% discount for active military and I believe that will be a really cheap option then paying $100-$200 less for a used rig. Also for a main and reserve. I am 5'9" and 195 with a athletic build. So what size canopy and type I would need.

A guide to your inquiry http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/A_Guide_to_Buying_Your_First_Skydiving_Gear_873.html

you and athletic build, eh? so you lift weights, run, swim?

I put athletic build in there because people were putting that in their description when selling rigs. I read that article also. I know theres chutes that pack smaller than others and maybe bigger just dont want to buy one and waste money because it doesnt fit. Asked my instructor and gave me a 1 word answer on a 2 paragraph description then asked about help on sizing and said "You will have to look on there website for sizing". But that doesnt really help.

Hmmm, I feel like I just addressed this yesterday. :D I'm too lazy to retype, here's the link.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4517403#4517403

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Buy used...... I currently have 8 rigs and only one I bought brand spanking new.... it was a complete waste of money. I too had a 50% off coupon, but remember, that is most likely 40% off of the base price, it does not include any options. All of my other rigs are used and I never had any issues finding the right colors or size, and I usually found a complete rig for the cost of a new container. If you are just getting into the sport there is no reason to buy a brand new rig unless you make 20 jumps a year for the rest of your jumping carreer. That and with a used rig you dont have to worry about getting it dirty if you dont stick a landing for two:P.

As for size, every manufacturer has different size charts.... but most are measured by the main lift web. If you like the wings I would call them with your measurement (the way the manufacturer wants you to measure) and ask them what size you should look for.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....