Bushmasta

ANY DZ rountinely have helicopeters for jumps?

My DZ has a helicopter that the DZO finished building around the end of last year. It's all ready to fly and all he has to do is get with the FAA one more time so that he can get his commercial license.

Not sure what license requirements he will have for jumping it though.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

If it's a homebuilt (experimental category) helicopter, it couldn't be used for commercial operations. Kinda rules out jumping, unless he wants to pay for it.

He built it, but it's not an experimental category. Maybe restored is more appropriate. It's the kind of helicopter that they always had on M.A.S.H., except it's the next size bigger.

He can use it commercially, he just has to get the FAA to stop dragging their asses and give him the time he needs with an FAA ride-along to get his commercial license.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

CrossKeys in NJ has a chopper during the week. There's a Helicopter flight school right next to the dropzone, and they offer chopper rides usualy on Wednesdays. If you want you can even learn to fly a chopper, which is pretty cool. Check out their web site http://www.blueskyhelicopter.com

Or, your can go to www.freefalladventures.com

Do you recommend a particular drop zone near Moscow? I have scheduled a visit to that region a few weeks from now and will appreciate your suggestions. My primary considerations are ease of access from Moscow, landing area, altitude and vibes. My Russian is pretty good. Thanks in advance.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

The best choice would be Stupino (L-410 and multiple Mi8s, about 2h from the city). If you can read Russian, all the info is here: http://www.dropzone.ru/stupino.shtml

Sometimes there are jumps at Tushino airfield inside the city, you will have to check with locals on further details. A good person to ask is Toly Zirov, [email protected]

bsbd!

Yuri.

Helo jumps are sort of "novelty jumps" so you won't find too many dzs that have them around regularly, but maybe for special occasions, like boogies. We had one for Summerfest last year, and as far as I know it did (still does?) belong to the dz, but it hasn't been around at all this year. Its an expensive aircraft, and if you can't keep it flying, there is no point to have it at a dz. I think Roger made more money from giving rides to whuffos (and jumpers) than from jumpers jumping from it. It wasn't a super big military helocopter, it took maybe 6 passengers?

I don't think any special license is required to jump from it, but you should get a briefing on things like how to approach and board it, and the better exit techniques. I made one jump from it and enjoyed it, but the rides the pilot was giving were even more fun than the jump!

maura