surfbum5412

Stowing lines

when stowing lines on the d-bag of a main canopy, I see some people set one stow, then place the d-bag down by the container, and stow the remaining lines while sitting in one place. Any disadvantage? Maybe some of the line tension is being distributed towards the container, which may leave a spaghetti mess in between the risers and the last stow?

The alternative being the more traditional method of walking the d-bag closer towards the container with each individual line stow being completed.

surfbum5412

when stowing lines on the d-bag of a main canopy, I see some people set one stow, then place the d-bag down by the container, and stow the remaining lines while sitting in one place. Any disadvantage? Maybe some of the line tension is being distributed towards the container, which may leave a spaghetti mess in between the risers and the last stow?

I've packed for myself for almost every one of my jumps and this is pretty close to the way I do it - after setting both locking stows. I've never had any problems with messy line stowage or apparent effect on deployments.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Ultimately it shouldn't make any difference since you are pulling the lines from the previous stow to make a clean new bite on the other side of the bag. I can see it maybe taking a little more time to get things organized with each stow. I like how they are nice and straight and ready to go if you grab sections as you walk the bag up.

Both way has its advantages.

Dragging the container to the D-Bag gives you the chance to keep the lines taut and you can adjust accordingly.

After the first stow, placing the d-bag near the container avoid you to drag it when using no packing mat
Personnaly I prefer to place the container on a packing mat and drag the whole thing.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

After the first stow, placing the d-bag near the container avoid you to drag it when using no packing mat
Personnaly I prefer to place the container on a packing mat and drag the whole thing.

Why drag it when you can put the bag between your knees and walk towards the container?

I cannot see the disadvantage, but I like to work my way from the d-bag back, stow for stow. This way I can see that there is tension on my lines all the way through to the risers. No grass into the lines or maybe one lines that is out.

It is faster though moving straight to the container of the first locking stows.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.