jrouse

Mirage vs Infinity?

jrouse

Opinion's, experience, Recommendations?

Have never owned either, but have been a gear dealer for years and seen hundreds of both, before and after thousands of jumps.

Hands down, Mirage.

Might give the Curv a look. Of all the brands/models out there, I highly recommend Rigging Innovations products and the Curv is truly a next-generation rig. Top notch quality and some of the coolest new stuff you will see on a rig anywhere.

It won't be long before you will see rigs with copies of the bio yoke on them. Super comfortable and what it does for weight distribution is like nothing ever seen in the sport.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

likestojump

***Opinion's, experience, Recommendations?

both great long time manufacturers.

If you are in PNW you are obligated to get an Infinity. Otherwise you will be ok with either.

Not sure what you mean by "long time". Velocity (Infinity) is not the same company/design/engineering as the original Infinity maker.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi chuck,

Velocity (Infinity) is not the same company/design/engineering as the original Infinity maker.

Let us not forget that the Mirage TSO was originally for the Rapid Transit System; TSO C23b in the Low Speed category.

Just to keep things on an even plain,

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi chuck,

Velocity (Infinity) is not the same company/design/engineering as the original Infinity maker.

Let us not forget that the Mirage TSO was originally for the Rapid Transit System; TSO C23b in the Low Speed category.

Just to keep things on an even plain,

JerryBaumchen

Similar situations. DRASTICALLY different timelines.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

JerryBaumchen

Hi chuck,

It won't be long before you will see rigs with copies of the bio yoke on them.

My old B-4 rig had a similar setup. People just need to understand that what is 'new' is not always new.

JerryBaumchen

Would love to see it. But if ya gotta go back to B-4's to make a comparison, that's not much of a comparison.

Is an innovation on a horse saddle the same as an innovation in a Corvette driver's seat?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

Let us not forget that the Mirage TSO was originally for the Rapid Transit System;

Not sure if we're talking about
a) the introduction dates for the Rapid Transit vs. early Paraphernalia Infinities or whatever they were called.
or
b) the introduction dates for the new Mirage vs the new Infinity.

I don't know for sure when the new rigs were introduced, but from checking old websites on archive.org I get the impression that the new VSE Infinity was introduced around 1999, and the Mirage around 1998, or slightly earlier.

Not a huge difference on that criterion.

In any case, I'm not sure if it is better to be "newer" or "more established". So maybe the debate should just be about the current modern rigs...

pchapman

Let us not forget that the Mirage TSO was originally for the Rapid Transit System;

Not sure if we're talking about
a) the introduction dates for the Rapid Transit vs. early Paraphernalia Infinities or whatever they were called.
or
b) the introduction dates for the new Mirage vs the new Infinity.

I don't know for sure when the new rigs were introduced, but from checking old websites on archive.org I get the impression that the new VSE Infinity was introduced around 1999, and the Mirage around 1998, or slightly earlier.

Not a huge difference on that criterion.

In any case, I'm not sure if it is better to be "newer" or "more established". So maybe the debate should just be about the current modern rigs...

My bad. I wasn't aware that the "new" Infinity went that far back. I don't remember seeing the Infinity in Texas that early.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

My bad. I wasn't aware that the "new" Infinity went that far back. I don't remember seeing the Infinity in Texas that early.

original Infinity (actually the Northern Lite) was made by Paraphernalia with a 2 pin reseve container, just like the original RTS (alrtough the RTS has back mounted reserve pins, and they are lined up vertically as opposed to horizontally)

PS I am gald to have had people much older than me to have made my arguments :)

likestojump

original Infinity (actually the Northern Lite) was made by Paraphernalia with a 2 pin reseve container, just like the original RTS (alrtough the RTS has back mounted reserve pins, and they are lined up vertically as opposed to horizontally)

PS I am gald to have had people much older than me to have made my arguments :)

I also date far enough back to remember those. I also remember when the Mirage had the reserve pin (or pins, I think) on the back pad like a Racer.

And how 'bout the old SST's without riser covers! Probably couldn't get on most jump planes with one of those today!

And I actually jump with a guy occasionally that still jumps a Swift System. He teases the youngsters about his rig being older than they are!!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

I also date far enough back to remember those. I also remember when the Mirage had the reserve pin (or pins, I think) on the back pad like a Racer.

And how 'bout the old SST's without riser covers! Probably couldn't get on most jump planes with one of those today!

And I actually jump with a guy occasionally that still jumps a Swift System. He teases the youngsters about his rig being older than they are!!

I wasn't trying to imply that you aren't old school enough, if that's how you took my quote, I apologize :)

I certainly am not dated far enough, but I blame my parents.

re: Racer. Actually, you may be referring to the SST tandem
(pic attached- single reserve risers and R3 main canopy releases). But either way, I've jumped stuff at the DZ that was many years older than me. It's funny what kind of responses some people get.

likestojump

I wasn't trying to imply that you aren't old school enough, if that's how you took my quote, I apologize :)

I certainly am not dated far enough, but I blame my parents.

re: Racer. Actually, you may be referring to the SST tandem
(pic attached- single reserve risers and R3 main canopy releases). But either way, I've jumped stuff at the DZ that was many years older than me. It's funny what kind of responses some people get.

Not all. We're all good. Love the reminiscing.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I don't think you will be disappointed with either rig. That being said I prefer Infinity rigs myself. I am waiting on delivery of my fifth Infinity and been jumping them since 1999. I have owned and/or jumped several makes of rigs and I continue to stick with Infinity.

The Infinity is a super comfortable rig. They have leg straps that are wider than most. I have never had any issues with loose main or riser flaps, they stay closed when they should and open when they should. You can customize your Infinity in all sorts of ways. I love the blackstainless steel hardware. There are so many more reasons I love my Infinity rig, try a search on here and you will find threads about both rigs to get more opinions.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I have a Mirage and am very happy with. My recommendations is that, if possible, you demo each one and see which is more comfortable for you. If you aren't able to demo them, at least try to find ones that you can try on. You might find that you like one more than the other.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

djmarvin

I don't think you will be disappointed with either rig. That being said I prefer Infinity rigs myself. I am waiting on delivery of my fifth Infinity and been jumping them since 1999. I have owned and/or jumped several makes of rigs and I continue to stick with Infinity.

The Infinity is a super comfortable rig. They have leg straps that are wider than most. I have never had any issues with loose main or riser flaps, they stay closed when they should and open when they should. You can customize your Infinity in all sorts of ways. I love the blackstainless steel hardware. There are so many more reasons I love my Infinity rig, try a search on here and you will find threads about both rigs to get more opinions.

I guess mine is the exception to the rule with the riser flap coming undone :( Working with them to find a solution to the problem.

I've had both mirage and infinity and like them both. You can use your creativity with infinity as they team up with liquid sky.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them

Hi Paul,

alrtough the RTS has back mounted reserve pins, and they are lined up vertically as opposed to horizontally

Your last two photos are of a Mirage; a 2nd generation RTS.

The original RTS was a 2-pin with the pins on the top of the reserve container. The ripcord pins were arranged just like the ripcord pins on that red Northern Lite rig that you posted the three photos of. If you would post another photo with the reserve cover flap lifted then people will know how they were arranged.

A holder of a TSO-authorization may not sell the TSO. However, they can sell the company that holds the TSO. Personally, I think that is kind of dumb but it is the position of the FAA on this subject.

When Para-Phernalia decided to get out of the sport rig market and concentrate on the PEP market, they sold the QC manual, the patterns, and lots of other stuff to Larry Chernis. But he did not ( and could not ) buy the TSO-authorization. Therefore, Larry had to do all of the TSO testing for his new rig that he called the Infinity. The Northern Lite was TSO'd under C23b and the Infinity is TSO'd under C23c.

Just to keep things correct.

JerryBaumchen

I have my nits about every rig, but I have the fewest about Mirage. That said, what trumps the rig you choose is putting properly sized canopies in the container, and having a rigger who is experienced packing that make/model of rig. If your canopies aren't sized properly, the reserve bulk isn't managed properly, or too long of a closing loop is used, each type of rig develops its own set of problems. These can range from odd shapes and other cosmetic issues to flaps coming open in freefall and reserve container locks after a cypres fire.

Also important to note is that while most manufacturers have no trouble making smaller containers, not all of them scale up equally. So if you're ogling something, make sure you take the time to ogle a rig that's about the same size you'll be buying.