skypuppy

Chuteless jumps

Anyone interested in reading about one of the first jumpers to leave a plane without a parachute and have one passed to them in freefall can visit my webpage to read about CANADIAN SKYDIVER BILL COLE.
http://hometown.aol.com/pricesmoneypit/myhomepage/extreme.html

We can do a lot of things in the air nowadays but sometimes you just can't beat what the old-timers did in earlier years.B|
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The weather turned to merde at the DZ today so we watched old skydiving movies (16 mm, not video), from the 60s. There was a different kind of chuteless jump, where the dude, wearing only a harness, docked on the guy with the rig and hooked on. Sort of a reverse Mr. Bill.

Rod Pack made a jump similar to Cole's on New Year's Day, 1965. They planned on using the harness-to-harness snaps as a backup if he couldn't get the reserve.
I believe the one you saw was probably Jimmy Tyler's first - I seem to recall seeing it on tv sometime myself, where he hooked on to someone's knees and they both landed under one chute. That was actually in the early '80's, I thought. They probably used a round chute figuring it would be easier to land two people under it?
Tyler later did a 2nd chuteless jump where he strapped a reserve onto a plank fastened across a large baker's bowl with a drogue chute attached to keep it falling more or less stable. This jump was featured on the program 'That's Incredible'.
Tyler later died jumping Half Dome.B|
The things we do for a thrill.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone