MonsterMo

Hello! Newbie here with first rig questions.

Hi,

I'm Ash and I'm in the UK. I started my AFF in Spain and continued over here and passed my Level 7 last week. I've started my consolidation jumps and have to do eight more (including some canopy handling exercises, which I've already been practising) and my hop 'n pop to qualify for my A licence.

Following my Level 7, I started talking to my instructor about getting my first rig. He suggested starting off with a 170 main and a similar sized reserve (I'm tiny, at 5'3" and weigh 125 lbs, excluding gear). I've been jumping a PD200 for most of my AFF. He did say that due to my stature, I may have to go with a new container made to measure that'd be capable of holding a 170 main. Looks like he was right, as the only used rigs / containers that seem to be going for people around my height, seem to be sold by ~5'5" girls, but designed for 135 mains and 120 reserves.

Would there be a way round this? I'd rather get a used container if possible as I'm not sure if buying new, there'd be much demand for something that would suit a minimum of a 135 (presuming I get a new container designed for a 150 like my instructor said, so it'd hold a size +/- 1) for a small person when it was time to sell on.

Or am I thinking about this the wrong way and assuming that I'll want to go smaller than a 135 sooner than I'd think (ie, I'd like a brand new container to last me at least 5 years, presuming at least 60 jumps a year, maybe more)? I plan on using a used main and reserve, with a new AAD. The container depends on the factors above. If I was able to find a used container that would hold a 170 main / 160 reserve and was a good fit, I'd jump on it (no pun intended), but it might be easier said than done.

Blue skies!
Ash :)

Look for a used rig that will hold the canopies you want, then get measured for that model rig as if you were ordering one new. Take those measurements, and the serial number, and contact the manufacturer for a quote on a harness resize.

For between $300 and $500, you can have a new harness built for the rig that will be made to your specs, so it's essentially a custom fit. Even if you found a used container for $1000, for $1500 total you would end up with a custom fit rig with a new harness, which is still $500 to $1000 less than you would pay for a brand new rig. That savings is enough to buy a used reserve.

davelepka

For between $300 and $500, you can have a new harness built for the rig that will be made to your specs, so it's essentially a custom fit. Even if you found a used container for $1000, for $1500 total you would end up with a custom fit rig with a new harness, which is still $500 to $1000 less than you would pay for a brand new rig. That savings is enough to buy a used reserve.

At least 2 companies make brand new custom rigs with basic options for around $1,500. I just ordered one. No worrying about my size or the size of my canopies in a used container, it's all specified by me.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Thanks for the replies so far!

davelepka

Look for a used rig that will hold the canopies you want, then get measured for that model rig as if you were ordering one new. Take those measurements, and the serial number, and contact the manufacturer for a quote on a harness resize.

I did actually call one of the dealers (well, the biggest dealer) over here who suggested that resizing a container could end up coming to more than a new container, once the cost of the used container was taken into consideration...then again, I will be asking round for second opinions.

Deci

You may want to read through my article here which adresses your specific situation:

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/A_Guide_to_Buying_Your_First_Skydiving_Gear_873.html

And thanks Deci, I've read that a few times. It looks like I come into the 20% category.

However, after finding this: http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf, it looks like a new container could last me at least 5 years, maybe a bit more.

Ash :)

MonsterMo

I did actually call one of the dealers (well, the biggest dealer) over here who suggested that resizing a container could end up coming to more than a new container, once the cost of the used container was taken into consideration...

You mean to say the guy who makes a commission only if you buy a new container through him suggested that you buy a new container through him? Shocker :ph34r:

Call the manufacturers directly regarding resizing of harnesses. Find some used gear listed for sale online. Do the math yourself. :)

skybytch

You mean to say the guy who makes a commission only if you buy a new container through him suggested that you buy a new container through him?

How do you know the guy is on commission?

Is your issue that you don't know if this individual person is getting commission, or that you don't know if this gear shop ("dealer", she called them) is making money on the sale of a brand new rig that it orders at wholesale from the manufacturer?

With respect to the individual, you're right, he may not make the commission, but the shop will. I can only assume he gets some kind of credit as an employee (whether it's commission, beer, high fives, not getting fired, etc.) when he makes money for the shop he works at.