phatcat

Landing Out?

I’m bored, so just for the sake of conversation, what’s the most unusual place you’ve landed out? In my 8 jumps I landed out once (not my fault, really), about a mile west of the DZ. It was on the edge of a cornfield. Upon getting up, (yes I skidded on my ass) I looked back and realized I landed right between two fence posts about 4 feet apart, if that. A little bit in either direction and I would have been a human scarecrow, and it wouldn’t have been pretty. So does anybody have any funny, strange experiences landing not quite on target?
Josh
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

Well......I came through some 50ft pine trees onto a volley ball court. It was about 30 ft away from where the whole damn GB club was sitting drinkin beer. They all came running over like they were going to find me dead. I didn't have a scratch. The other time I got to swoop into a back yard where about 10 people were having a BBQ. That was like my own little Demo jump! They offered me a beer and some string to close my container with. It was pretty cool.
"Don't give a F$#ck if I'm comin or leavin"-Pappa Roach
Clay

I've landed in corn fields, golf courses, somebody's back yard(there was a barbecue going on next door, and they invited me over), soccer field, and a Wal-Mart parking lot.. Oh, and of course, the plain 'ole open fields at the edge of the DZ I used to jump at up north..
Mike

Aviatrr.....how did you land in all those sweet places?? Was it due to a bad spot? or is is because you wanted to do it??

Bad spots, stupid decisions, etc.. The various fields, backyards, golf courses, and soccer fields are just bad spots.. Those were the alternate landing areas near the DZ.. The Wal-Mart thing.....well, we were flying along at altitude with our heads out the door.. There was a solid layer of industrial haze at about 10k.. It was very thin, and clear below, but we couldn't see through it.. We finally saw through it, saw a big store and parking lot that is next to the DZ, and out we went.. As it turned out, it was not the store we thought - it was the one about 2 miles away.. Out of the 8 way we launched, 7 of us landed in the Wal-Mart parking lot.. 6 of us landed out where cars were few and far between, one of the guys(with 9000+ jumps on a Extreme VX hankerchief) swooped in front of the main entrance.. He said he was trying to get close enough to set off the motion sensors and open the doors.. :)Mike

I had no idea where the winds were from or Where the DZ was...

That's why I try to remember to look at the sun before boarding and where the sun should be when I try to land! Turned out to be very useful when I landed about 2km from the DZ! Very funny to see the guy that jumped before me trying to land in 7ft corn!
:)Ramon :)

Hmm, Mike Farmer warned me when I went to Quincy last year that I *WOULD* (not might) land off airport at least once. Me being a 50-jump wonder at the time thought, "Yeah, right. They use GPS, dumbass." Sure enough, my first jump at Quincy was out of a CASA-212 and instant-karma came up and straight bitch-slapped me as she took my jump-ticket.
Me and a buddy exited for a two-way freefly and I happened to look down, no airport, I looked out, no airport. I looked almost TWO MILES OUT... there's the airport. DAMN!
Check the traffic, can I open high? Nope, there's someone above me, track like hell. I tracked like hell. Look up, there's that same idiot 1000' above me. I veer off 90-degrees, no good. Alti-check, 3000'. Track some more. ARGH! He's still above me! Hummed it down to 2K & pitched. Found a small, mowed patch 1/5 the size of a football field and I land dead center.
What was the consolation? The absolutely total hottie girl from Atlanta that landed next to me. It made for a nice walk back to the road where we met up with my friend and got a ride back to the airport.
Now if you want to talk about other bad spots, ask Mike Farmer about the time he landed in the prison or the time he knowingly got out three miles down-wind to catch a friend. Heh.
Kris
I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Yeah, right. They use GPS

LOL... my worst spot ever was at the Alberta provioncials... the plane had GPS, so being competition, we didnt do a whole lot of spot checking when we got out (we were the last 4 way out of 4 teams out of the Otter)...
But, the GPS had broken down, and in the wisdom of the competition organisers, they decided to spot the plane from the ground.... Now, if this had been the really good old days when ground to air video was used, fine, I'd accept that, but for goodness sake! this was in the late 90's with then standard air to air!!!!!!
Needless to say, I had a 30 to 45 minute walk to get back....
Remi

I landed near a ditch in a field since I had no idea where the winds were from or Where the DZ was...(3 miles away)

Are you referring to the jump I was on with you? If so are you sure the DZ was only 3 miles away? It seemed like more.:)....and then I saw his foot and knew I had to make him mine:)

AFF LVL 5 Kali Jetti Commando Base in Indonesia
I was jumping a Falcon 230 I believe and the wind picked up big time and I got backed up several miles.
I managed to line up some goats path between the bamboo fields about six feet wide as I landed backwards. The natives
were great about helping pic my main out of the jungle and was picked up by the base ambulance.
Just another day in the jungle.
Vman

>So does anybody have any funny, strange experiences landing not quite on target?
Well, my first off-target landing was at the Ranch, with an 'expert' spotting. He gave the pilot 90 degrees of right turn. (Note for the future - if the pilot ever turns around and asks the spotter "where are we going?" the spot is likely to be bad.) I couldn't even see the DZ when I opened. After a long walk with all the standard bad-spot problems (the muddy field, the irate farmer, the vicious barking dog) I got to the road. After a half hour of hitching I got a ride from some women going to New Paltz. When I told them where the airport was, they said "That's like 20 minutes away!" They gave me a ride anyway.
I landed off during the Peter Pan demo. Bob spotted us downwind, and only 3 of the 45 people on the demo made it to the LZ. The rest of us landed all over the town of Lake Havasu - in parking lots, Taco Bells, backyards. We were all wearing green tights. I have to wonder about the stories the locals tell about that day.
On a nude jump at Quincy three years ago, I asked Anita to check the spot before we got out. "What do you mean, check the spot? I can't spot a CASA from the back!" she said. "Look, just make sure we're in the right general area and there's no one right under us," I said. She said OK but looked worried.
At 6000 feet the pilot looked back and said, "Weather coming in. Better put your seatbelt on." "Are you kidding?" I asked. Just then the CASA started to shake. Needless to say we shouldn't have jumped, but we did anyway. Anita claims she checked the spot, but when we opened, we were about 3 miles from the airport. We all landed in a bean field and started walking back - one naked American, four nude Brazilians who didn't speak English very well, and a nude woman with a leg brace. Since she was with us, we got a ride back pretty quickly.
At Brown Field, I once did a tandem that was about three miles upwind. I probably could have made it to within 1/2 a mile, but I decided to land next to the nearest road and await pickup. I landed in a vacant lot next to a McDonald's, and went in to get a soda. Two Mexican guys didn't believe me when I said we had just landed outside. I had to have my student vouch for me that, yes, we had just jumped out of an airplane, and we landed here because we "had an emergency." (their interpretation.)
Urban legend type story - a night demo at Perris went awry, and several jumpers decked out in night-demo gear (strobes, cylume suits, flares) landed in someone's back yard. There was a woman outside. One of the jumpers on final yelled "Hey, where are we?" "Earth!" she said.
-bill von

So far, in my whopping 61 jumps, I've never landed out...KNOCK ON WOOD!!
I can think of only a couple of reasons for my good LUCK! 1) LUCK! 2)LUCK! 3)Opening high several times which gave me altitude to make it back otherwise I wouldn't have 4)great pilots and spotters! 5)a canopy with lots of drive! and last but not least...6)LUCK!
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Urban legend type story - a night demo at Perris went awry, and
several jumpers decked out in night-demo gear (strobes, cylume
suits, flares) landed in someone's back yard. There was a woman
outside. One of the jumpers on final yelled "Hey, where are we?"
"Earth!" she said.

Perris is on earth? hahahaha - I thought it was another dimension....or at least another state of mind...
Actually the one "urban legend type" Perris story I had heard was a night landing over at the AFB. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Ciels -
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

>Actually the one "urban legend type" Perris story I had heard was a night landing over at the AFB. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
According to Mick Cottle, it was. (He said he was on the load.) They were quite upset that a plane landed on their air force base, and even more upset when no one had any ID at all.
-bill von

well i don't have a story about landing out but i do have one about almost landing out......
picture a nice warm day at skydive cross keys in NJ. i'm making my 100th jump and i'm ding it the right way, nude! i get on the plane and there is an aff student and his instuctor right in front of me. one of the other jumpers is asking the instructor to make sure he doesn't get out long since we were in the "front' of the otter. the intructor was like i'm only gona call a go around if i look out when it's my turn to jump and were long, it's your job to look before you jump. well we are on jump run then and everybody is exiting. the guy that asked about the spot was before me and i now have my shorts off and am totally nekid. i jump, man it's wierd to jump naked!!!! well i told the aff i was pulling at 3,500 but i knew he wsn'r pulling untill 5000 so i was safe, well i look down in freefall and i'm way out from the dz. i was like i can fly farther under canopy than if i track so i tracked to 4,500 and then pulled. i made it back just fine. well later that night i was sitting there talking to this guy (i'm not good with names but i think his nick name was some kind of food) he was telling me about how he got a call from the pilot that day saying that he just saw somebody jump out but ass naked and he didn't think he was gona make it back to the dz. the aff and instructor had the pilot do another pass. i was like hey that was me! he was like no way... it was wierd. the pilot was the dzo and i finally met him later that day. a nice guy!! so i guess that's my storry about almost landing out!.......

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

At our drop zone when people land out its really big deal b/c we have mountains on all sides and Otay lake is like 300 yards west of the end of the runway :o But we havn't had any water landings according to buzz but just yesterday we had to out landings they got back ok but they had to hike a ways to find a road that lead back tot he dz!! poor guys :(
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet

I normally try to do that too, but the winds were shifting all day long and a few loads before me I counted 7 different landing directions because no one could tell the winds untill you were at < 150 feet. I was able to tell me direction because I could see the winds blowing the tops of the beans i was flying over.
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)