haziq

Airworthiness of a rig

Hi guys, i have a question regarding a system that I have.
What I have is the Strong Hawk Tandem System which was bought year 2000. It has less than 50 jumps and the last jump was made year 2001. The system is well kept.

Reason why it is kept aside. It is expensive to run tandem here in Malaysia and no tandem master.

So how much it would cost if i were to send the system for inspection?

And if i were to sell it, what does it worth?

haziq

What I have is the Strong Hawk Tandem System which was bought year 2000. It has less than 50 jumps and the last jump was made year 2001. The system is well kept.

Reason why it is kept aside. It is expensive to run tandem here in Malaysia and no tandem master.

I believe that Strong requires 8 year inspections on their gear to remain legal (at least in the USA, I think). They would be your best bet as far as pricing for inspection. I don't know any other places that can do the required check.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

haziq

Last I looked you have that DHL flat rate cargo thing to the USA. Which I thought was under a hundred us. But the return trip is the killer, USA to your country is insane?? 25 Lbs. is about 600 - 700 but I'm just guessing?

Can you take it as luggage on a passenger flight?

What it is worth is dependent upon who wants it and if it passes the factory inspection, including the AAD? We don't know the condition? What is good shape to you might be different to them...

It could be worth thousands! Can you give me the serial number of the container and canopies?

That would help!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

You bought it in 2000, but year was it made?

Strong puts a 18 year (I believe) year life span on their tandem rigs no matter what condition they are in (I believe, you'll probably want to confirm with Strong). So regardless of the condition, the life span is going to be less than 5 year or so.

The 18 year life span is ridiculous. I'm from a small Cessna dropzone in the midwest. We jump in grass, and only do tandems during the "warm" months. We just retired one of our Strong rig because of the life span in FAR better condition than the used one we purchased to replace (although it is still airworthy and safe).

Edited to include:

From the Strong website:
1.2 Operational Limitations
The Strong Enterprises Dual Hawk Tandem System is specifically designed for two people with
total loads of up to 500 lbs and opening speeds up to 175 knots IAS. The use of unapproved parts
and components is prohibited and a violation of both Service Bulletin #22 (Appendix A) and FAA
FAR 65.129 (Appendix F).
All Dual Hawk Tandem Systems are authorized to use for eight years from date of manufacture
(+/- 6 months), at which point they must be returned to Strong Enterprises or an authorized Strong
Enterprises Recertification Center for required updating and recertification. After inspection, and if
necessary reconditioning of the system, it may be placed back into service for five more years. At the
13th year from date of manufacture (+/- 6 months) the system must again be sent in for necessary
reconditioning/recertification and may be returned to service for an additional five years. At the 18th
year from date of manufacture the container/harness, risers and student harness will be taken out
of service, however the Master reserve canopy may be recertified one more time for an additional 5
years after which it will be taken out of service.
COMPLETE SERvICE LIFE OF HARNESS/ CONTAINER & STuDENT HARNESS: 18 yEARS
COMPLETE SERvICE LIFE OF MASTER RESERvE CANOPy: (23) 18

http://www.strongparachutes.com/docs/Tandem/DHT_2012.pdf

You may not have to ship your rig to Strong Enterprises - in Florida - because SEI have certified several re-certification centers outside the USA.
There is at least one re-certification center in Australia.

There are two reasons for re-certification.
First, every-manufacturer's first few tandem rigs were crude. How many of you remember jumping drogue-less Vector Is?
Hah!
Hah!
So re-certification ensures that all the updates have been done.

Secondly, tandem jumping quickly wears out equipment. For example, Southern California sun and sandy soil mean that few Strong tandem rigs pass their 8-year inspection without serious repairs. Best to have those repairs done by a re-certification center that has access to all the factory parts and repair procedures.

Related to updates is the notion that if your gear has all the updates and little wear, the factory MIGHT re-certify it for more than 18 years.

Strong puts a 18 year (I believe) year life span on their tandem rigs no matter what condition they are in (I believe, you'll probably want to confirm with Strong). So regardless of the condition, the life span is going to be less than 5 year or so.

According to the FAA, the life limit does not exist unless the manufacturer had included that in the data when the TSO was submitted.
In this case, Strong Enterprises did not.

I asked several inspectors about this and got the same answer from all of them.
The answer is "no" you do not have to comply with SB-22.The reasoning is that they do not see a significant safety issue in the first place. Second, they (FAA) never issued an AD with regards to a safety issue.

The rigger inspecting the H/C at that time is capable of determining airworthiness of the equipment and that is all that is needed according to the FAA.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com