g2gjump

CSPA Rigger A crossover to Senior Rigger

Hello all, I have my CSPA Rigger "A" rating and would like to become a FAA senior rigger.

I have 28 repacks total(ten supervised by cspa riggers).

My question is; do i have to start from scratch, or is there a crossover program for foreign rigger ratings?

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt

Hello all, I have my CSPA Rigger "A" rating and would like to become a FAA senior rigger.

I have 28 repacks total(ten supervised by cspa riggers).

My question is; do i have to start from scratch, or is there a crossover program for foreign rigger ratings?

Thanks in advance!

There is no crossover training.

1.You will need 20 supervised pack jobs under a FAA certified rigger.These pack jobs cannot be "for use" BTW...

2.A letter from the supervising rigger stating that you are good to go basically.

3.Meet with a FAA inspector and have two copies of form 8610-2 filled out and signed by the Inspector.

4.Pass a written exam

5.Take a Oral and practical with a DPRE

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

1. You will need 20 supervised pack jobs under a FAA certified rigger.These pack jobs cannot be "for use" BTW...

The FSDO checks to see if the packs were supervised by an FAA rigger, not whether they have been put in service. Whether the packs can be for use is still an open question. MEL's position notwithstanding, a number of us think that "supervision" and "training" are not the same thing.

2. A letter from the supervising rigger stating that you are good to go basically.

The traditional letter is not required by regulation. It made sense as a screen when FAA inspectors gave the oral/practical at no charge. Now the screen is the applicant's willingness to pay the written test fee (about $100) and the oral/practical test fee (about $300) as many times as necessary to pass.

Mark

The FSDO checks to see if the packs were supervised by an FAA rigger, not whether they have been put in service.

Really...?
In the last two classes that we gave, the inspectors reviewing the logbooks with the individuals found at least one that had pack jobs that were for use and actually being used at that time.
The supervising rigger was contacted in each case and was advised to take those rigs out of service.

The inspectors were NOT happy.

Whether the packs can be for use is still an open question.

Again, Really....

(a) No person may pack, maintain, or alter any personnel-carrying parachute intended for emergency use in connection with civil aircraft of the United States (including the reserve parachute of a dual parachute system to be used for intentional parachute jumping) unless that person holds an appropriate current certificate and type rating issued under this subpart and complies with §§ 65.127 through 65.133.

There are no provisions anywhere in the regulations that allows supervision of an emergency parachute that is intended for use.

This has been discussed thoroughly over the last few years as you are well aware.

MEL's position notwithstanding,....

It is not MY position, it is the FAA's just ask.

In fact, for anyone that doubts that fact, pick up the phone and call your local inspector.

...a number of us think that "supervision" and "training" are not the same thing.

In this case that is a real problem!
But really, that "number" is pretty small.

The traditional letter is not required by regulation.

It is not required by regulation for non-military applicants, but is required for anyone using their military experience for a rating. That letter is to be signed by their commanding officer.

With that said, every inspector that I have had contact with has expected the letter from everyone.

It made sense as a screen when FAA inspectors gave the oral/practical at no charge.

They still can give them and I know of two instances were they did within the last few years.

MEL

I've been seriously considering the same. Best advice I got was to just go attend the senior rigger course in the USA and do it like the rest of the students. Although the Canadian system is being revamped, the process for becoming a Rigger B appears to be nearly impossible.

-Michael

Yup. You remain unconvinced, but I still hold out hope.

One question,
What do you tell your students about this.
Do you advise them that supervision for parachutes intended for use is legal or illegal?

MEL

masterrigger1

Yup. You remain unconvinced, but I still hold out hope.

One question,
What do you tell your students about this.
Do you advise them that supervision for parachutes intended for use is legal or illegal?

MEL

That's two questions. The answer to both is I tell them to follow the regulations.

Mark

masterrigger1

That's two questions. The answer to both is I tell them to follow the regulations.

Nope!
Technically only one had a question mark....

Technically, one had incorrect punctuation. I wasn't going to point that out, but you insisted.

Mark