Colm

Experience with difficulty shipping cypres out of the U.S.?

Hi,

I am trying to ship some expired cypreses to a purchaser outside the U.S.

The package was returned to me "Due to export control regulations" with no further detail provided. I have never done this before, I am not an export lawer, I am just a dude trying to sell some old cypreses...

Has anyone else encountered this before? Did you find a solution?

I tried google searching and a dz.com search, but whatever I was typing in was not being fruitful.

BTW, USPS cost $67.25 for international express with shipping. FedEx and UPS wanted on the order of $275, which is prohibitive (and fucking retarded). So I can't really consider them as an alternative.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. PM's welcome!
Thanks,
Colm

Croatia. Do you know something specific about that country? I am vaguely aware that different countries are treated differently, but it's not like it's iran or north korea. I tried googling for country-specific information but so far, came up short.

For future reference... or posterity...

So I got some more information from the U.S. Post Office. Apparently, the package was rejected by Croatia, not by U.S. export rules.

I have been informed that AADs have been shipped successfully to Croatia in the past, so why it is failing now, I have no idea.

Were past sellers just lying on the customs declaration form? Were they insuring the package for less than full replacement value?

The post office did not have any details about the rejection. There is a customs office phone number I can try calling on Monday, after the weekend. The funniest thing was how, out of the entire U.S.P.S., several postmasters between here and the port station seemed to immediately remember this exact package when it was mentioned.

I feel bad because both the buyer and the seller (me) have lost money to shipping, and currency transaction fees, on this deal.

Final Update: I got a helpful email from the European Cypres office with some more details.

They suggested to attach "a proforma invoice to the package with a tarif code : 90201480 (Aeronautical Measurement Systems).
And put a low value price on it something like 100€. To safe the inport taxes in the inporting country."

Hope this helps someone in the future.