freeflygirlz

Vector 3 Micron - Position of Cypres control unit

Hi everyone!
I think about getting a new gear, right now Vector 3 Micron is on top of the list. The extra foam padding is one of the reasons.
I only know one very new gear like this and what I absolutely don't like about it, is the Position of cypres control unit below the reserve flap. I absolutely prefer having a window in the yoke or back side of the rig.
Maybe anyone knows if it is possible the order a Micron like this?? On the Webpage and all the Pictures I could not find one.
thanks a lot for your help!
blue skies freeflygirl

freeflygirlz

Hi everyone!
I think about getting a new gear, right now Vector 3 Micron is on top of the list. The extra foam padding is one of the reasons.
I only know one very new gear like this and what I absolutely don't like about it, is the Position of cypres control unit below the reserve flap. I absolutely prefer having a window in the yoke or back side of the rig.
Maybe anyone knows if it is possible the order a Micron like this?? On the Webpage and all the Pictures I could not find one.
thanks a lot for your help!
blue skies freeflygirl

the reason the cypress window is where it is: is because you have to open the reserve flap to turn the cypress on, so you have to do a reserve pin check at least once a day. they do not offer the window in any other configuration that i have seen. this was done from a saftey standpoint to ensure you are properly checking your gear.

btw.... i LOOOVVVEEE my micron!!!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

HI!
Thanks for the fast Response!
I do not agree with UPT in this Topic. I check my cypres before every jump.
And I checkf the reserve pin every jump, but I do not Need to open all 3 flaps of the reserve on each jump. I fully open it once in the morning, then I just look from the side through the small gap on the Position of the pin in the Loop.
I assume that opening the flap completely on every jump - so this would be about 5-8 times more than now - could enforce material damage of the stiffener of the flaps.

I am aff instructor myself and try to build up safety awarness by explaning the students why certains things are important. Forcing them by technical barriers is only Plan B for me...

Maybe I can get it on special customer request...

blue skies ffg

freeflygirlz

HI!
And I checkf the reserve pin every jump, but I do not Need to open all 3 flaps of the reserve on each jump. I fully open it once in the morning, then I just look from the side through the small gap on the Position of the pin in the Loop.
I assume that opening the flap completely on every jump - so this would be about 5-8 times more than now - could enforce material damage of the stiffener of the flaps.

I am aff instructor myself and try to build up safety awarness by explaning the students why certains things are important. Forcing them by technical barriers is only Plan B for me...

blue skies ffg

on the micron there is only 1 flap that covers the reserve pin, it has a couple tuck tabs to keep it secure.

i know allot of people that have microns and have never heard of worn out tuck tabs from checking the reserve pin.

also is it nesascary to check the cypress before every jump?
i guess you got the "special edition gold one" lol!!!:S

edited because i didnt see you check the cypress before every jump
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

***HI!

blue skies ffg

on the micron there is only 1 flap that covers the reserve pin, it has a couple tuck tabs to keep it secure.
if you check you reserve pin before every jump how is it going to be any different from your current rig.

open the flap in the morning and turn the cypress on,
after that check your reserve pin as you normally do (peeking through the side)
do you really need to check the cypress before every jump?
i dont really understand the problem?

You do if your cypres falls in the service bulletin that requires you to

faulk04

******HI!

blue skies ffg

if you check you reserve pin before every jump how is it going to be any different from your current rig.

edited
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

faulk04

Exactly.
Heat, packing damage can occur to an AAD unit between jumps as well. It needs to be checked, and we teach people to check ALL their gear before each jump. Unfortunately, there are some "instructors" that don't know this.

The backpad location for the control leaves it vulnerable to damage from setting/tossing the rig down on the backpad, if that is done in a rough manner. even if you don't intend to be rough on it like this, it can happen because you forget to be gentle, or when packers are handling your rig. The location inside the yoke can be vulnerable to damage if you have the habit of standing a rig up on the yoke. I've seen a small number of people do that, many more people tossing their rig down on the backpad, not thinking about the potential damage to the control unit.

Just a reminder that there is a potential downside that you might not have considered.

Also, I don't think you can really, properly do a reserve pin check just by sneaking a peek at it from the side. I think opening the flap completely is needed to check the condition of the loop, check for a bent pin, pull on the cable...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

i'm under the impression UPT would put the control unit on the back if you ask for it.

having said that, i understand their way of thinking and it does make sense.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Your preference to put the control unit of an AAD in the back of the rig is not mine. This is the best place to get its window broken and I have seen it several times. How ! You put your rig on the ground, in a van or on somebody else rig, and a jumper comes and sit on it or put something heavy on it. That location represents also a problem when packing the reserve since pressure has to be applied of the reserve container for closing it.
IMO the best place to protect the AAD control unit window is under the yoke. Moreover, that position gives you the chance to check your reserve pin before every jump and see the status of the AAD (ON OFF). Behind the glass window, there is a liquid cristal for display which is quite fragile and you are better to have it well protected. :)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

The vector dealer in Sweden always write on the order form to put the cypres window on the backpad (between the scapulas). That is how I got my vector and I didn't ask for it.

I like it since I can always tell at a glance if my cypres is on when I pick up my rig. Never heard of the glass breaking being an issue but I guess be careful? Throw your rig on the ground and you are asking for it...

Did not cost more. I found a scanned copy of the orderform sent to vector and under "special instructions" it simply says "cypres display on backpad".

Picture included.

EDIT: Picture not included... internet here is simply to shitty to upload a .jpg

strife

Vector Ordering Protip for sure!

I would laugh my ass off if they sewed a CYPRES patch on the backpad.
"Well, YOU said you wanted a CYPRES display on the backpad."

:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

They didn't quite get my rig right either. Colors were wrong but they did make me another one. Now I see my previous rig on the demo circuit.

In your photo it's not quite clear but it looks like some of the backpad foam is visible under the cypres display. Doesn't look as well cut as the rest of the rig.