Mach1dmb

Where to buy new gear?

Just looking to get some advice outside of my dropzone. I am looking to get my first rig soon and I have been thinking about starting with a brand new container and AAD. I haven't had any luck finding a complete system on the classifieds, but I figure I can find a main and reserve. I'm just wondering where the best place to start is. Obviously my dropzone's proshop wants me to order through them, but I don't know if there are cheaper options online. What are the best places to order from online, and if online is cheaper, does the savings really outweigh the benefits of ordering in person through a shop?

There's quite a few options online, like Chutingstar, TSO-D, or Square 1. As far as I'm aware, most dealers should have around the same price but it never hurts to shop around. Another thing to consider is that ordering from a physical location allows the dealer to make the measurements, so if the harness doesn't fit it's on them.

Your DZ may also have incentives for ordering through them, like free gear rental while you wait for your stuff to arrive.

My DZ gave me a rental discount for ordering through them. But I think a lot of people are going to agree that it's important to support your local shop. It's good for the DZ where it's located, and also good to support a local place where you can go to try stuff on before you buy, etc. The prices my dealer offered don't vary that much from the prices found online.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Please support your local dealer if you can.

They'll be able to measure you _properly_ and they usually have a lot more experience measuring customers for specific brands than anyone else on the DZ.

Plus, if there are issues, you can deal directly with them.
Remster

Buy local. Sometimes the local shop may not be the least expensive but they will be able to 'service' you unlike the online stores. There is a lot of value in that personal service. Plus if you have any issues, it's easy to go the them and have them fix your problem.
Kamuran "Sonic" Bayrasli
The Ranch PROshop
Buy Baby Buy!

I've had bad experiences buying from my DZ's gearshop...especially when I was a newbie. They tried to get me to buy their favorite containers and their favorite options, colors, etc. Today I realize that a lot of local gear shops prey on newbies. Do your research outside of your local gear shop first, this way you can validate what the shop is pitching you. Then buy what you want...it's your money, your happiness. If you feel uneasy about buying from your local dealer, then don't. I've had nothing but good experiences with Paragear and Chuting Star, and I saved money too.

If the location in your profile is accurate, then I would highly recommend your local Pro Shop. Myself, along with other noobs, bought our rigs locally last year.

There is something to be said for supporting your local pro shop. His ability to stay in business supports your ability to keep jumping when you see a frayed closing loop, need rubber bands, need another set of goggles, need an expert set of eyes to look at the rig, etc, etc, etc.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I'm all about supporting my local store Square 1.
Dude who has worked the counter on the weekends is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Their manager, I think Dwayne, is cool too. He gave me a quick packing bootcamp class on a day there weren't any packers around and even offered to pack my rig for the day.

neflier

If the location in your profile is accurate, then I would highly recommend your local Pro Shop. Myself, along with other noobs, bought our rigs locally last year.

There is something to be said for supporting your local pro shop. His ability to stay in business supports your ability to keep jumping when you see a frayed closing loop, need rubber bands, need another set of goggles, need an expert set of eyes to look at the rig, etc, etc, etc.

Yea my location is accurate. I'm most likely going to order through them if they have the container I want. If I'm buying something brand new, I want exactly what I desire.

rohicks

Funny i posted this same question early in my AFF and received a bunch of sarcastic replies like google it.

Funny how the brevity of your original question ( re : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4438039;#4438039) and your subsequent attitude had generated a completely different thread.

Apples are not oranges. They are not plums either. When comparing them and expect identical results.

likestojump

***Funny i posted this same question early in my AFF and received a bunch of sarcastic replies like google it.

Apples are not oranges. They are not plums either. When comparing them and expect identical results.
No way! Sheesh that clears up a lot of life problems. Thanks homeslice.

likestojump

***Funny i posted this same question early in my AFF and received a bunch of sarcastic replies like google it.

Funny how the brevity of your original question ( re : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4438039;#4438039) and your subsequent attitude had generated a completely different thread.

Wait..so this dude asks a very simple question and he gets jumped on by a bunch of jerks with a sarcastic answer and you are surprised by Rohicks's reaction and attitude?

GooniesKid

******Funny i posted this same question early in my AFF and received a bunch of sarcastic replies like google it.

Wait..so this dude asks a very simple question and he gets jumped on by a bunch of jerks with a sarcastic answer and you are surprised by Rohicks's reaction and attitude?

No, not surprised. Over the years I came to expect it. And I am no longer wondering why we have coined a term "Nanny generation".

Can you tell me what time it is ? I am too lazy to look at the bottom corner of my screen.