xijonix

Triathalon Line Set

I have a couple questions regarding the line set on my Triathlon 190. I was told when I purchased it that it needed a reline "Soon" but I'm not sure how soon. The lines in the picture are the most worn. The rest just look lightly frayed and dirty.

I assume them to be dacron lines; is this correct?
also
If they should be replaced now Aerodyne offers 3 options:
600 Dacron
700 HMA
725 Spectra

What are the pros and cons of each provided the canopy type? I've heard spectra are less elastic than dacron and may strengthen opening shock but are also less bulk.

Advice?

Something else you need to be aware of about Triathlon line sets...

Brake line configuration: Original vs 4.0 Mod

Here's one thread about the differences:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1150133;search_string=mod%2BA;#1150133

Do a search on "4.0+mod" (no quotes)
More threads about it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

yep they look like 600 Dacron to me.
as for what is best, oh boy you will get many arguments from everyside on that one, all of them have pro's and con's.
there is a thread in the Incidents section, regarding a hard opening in DeLand,florida. there was a big disscusion about lines on that one.( i think i have the correct thread, apologise if i got mixed up)

as for what line set to get, me personally i prefere the Spectra line followed by HMA, but again that is a personal choice.

oh boy i am getting ready for the debate on this one;):P:)

irishrigger

oh boy i am getting ready for the debate on this one;):P:)

:D:D:D
I wasn't gonna touch the line type question...leaving it to you riggers.
:D:D:D

I sent my RW Triathlon 160 to Aerodyne for a reline. They replaced Spectra 500 lines with Spectra 725 and put the brake line mod on it. When I got it back openings were so hard I put 4 or 5 jumps on it and never jumped it again. My Lightning opened softer than that thing. It's still in a box back there. Never found out what the deal was but I never heard of anybody else having the same issue. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Spectra 725 and keep the original brake line configuration. That Triathlon didn't have that many jumps on it but my solution worked out to be, replace it with a 9 cell.

Do you know of any way to tell if the mod had been done aside from trying to contact the original owner? It has new brake lines but I'm unsure if they are under the new configuration or old one. My openings are smooth and so are my landings so whatever configuration it has works for me.

On pre-4.0 canopies, the outermost brake line on each side is attached to the outside edge of the end cell (the corner of the parachute). On a 4.0 lineset, the brake lines are all moved a half cell toward the center and the innermost line is longer than the others. If that doesn't make sense, I have attached a diagram that Aerodyne sent me.

This is fun.....40-11 ways to say the same thing;

If you have brake lines attached to the rear corners, ya' got the original. If there's none there, ya' got the 4.0.

:D:D

If you have brake lines attached to the rear corners, ya' got the original. If there's none there, ya' got the 4.0.

Pops,
Sometimes the 4.0 line set gets installed onto a 3.0 canopy without the attachment getting moved.

IIRC you had that going on with your canopy.

I guess you could call that scenario a 3.5 mod.;)

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

masterrigger1

Pops,
Sometimes the 4.0 line set gets installed onto a 3.0 canopy without the attachment getting moved.

IIRC you had that going on with your canopy.

I guess you could call that scenario a 3.5 mod.;)

Cheers,
MEL

You remembered that? I'm flattered!
I didn't want to repeat the story here but yes...it was quite an adventure and I strongly recommend against the 3.0 Mod.
:D:D

CReW

I sent my RW Triathlon 160 to Aerodyne for a reline. They replaced Spectra 500 lines with Spectra 725 and put the brake line mod on it. When I got it back openings were so hard I put 4 or 5 jumps on it and never jumped it again. My Lightning opened softer than that thing. It's still in a box back there. Never found out what the deal was but I never heard of anybody else having the same issue. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Spectra 725 and keep the original brake line configuration. That Triathlon didn't have that many jumps on it but my solution worked out to be, replace it with a 9 cell.

I've had my '97 Triathlon 120 relined from its original CRW hybrid non-cascaded line set to the 4.0 cascaded line set, though I don't remember what type of lines the current set it. I didn't see any difference in opening performance. Always opened nice and easy, though it would slam me semi-hard about once every 100 jumps.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban