swarley

Oldest Student??

"Age does not count"

Diss agree. It matters a lot.

One thing that made me delay, for about 10 years, my AFF was not the fear of dying, but the fear of disabling injury. A friend of mine broke a leg skydiving, age 55, he had started while in the military and had many years in it but it was his first serious injury. His doctor told him flatly that it would take nearly twice as long to heal and would not mend as well as it would if he had been younger. In my own case, I took to down hill mountain bike riding and after seeing another friend get an almost identical injury by sticking his leg through the frame during a wipeout. I said to myself, self, what the hey, just do it.

We also get a little less adventurous AKA: we know we aint bulletproof. I don't know if the words "conserative skydiver" is an oxymoron or not but that is my goal. I don't think a late student could ever be proficient enough to participate in freeway median swooping :P or something like that but he can still have a hell of a good time.
Carl

"We also get a little less adventurous AKA: we know we aint bulletproof.I don't know if the words "conserative skydiver" is an oxymoron or not but that is my goal. I don't think a late student could ever be proficient enough to participate in freeway median swooping or something like that but he can still have a hell of a good time."

Think you have the correct attitude! This is my goal, to have fun. The way i see it once you are out of the plane,
the Physics are equal for everyone regardless of age/experience. My goal will be to have the safest jump
possible and handle the mals properly. I may never get past the Student Canopy, but if i can have fun, thats the goal.

SteveB|

This post has been SO helpful! I'm 49 years old. I have 21 jumps in right now and have been wondering if this sport is for me since I've not been able to achieve objectives on my last few coached RW jumps. Reading these comments has made me realize that I don't have to be perfect just yet, and that maybe those younger kids may be more aggressive but I can still have fun taking it slower. Thanks for the encouragement!

"age does count"

Yes, it does. I realize that if I break a bone, it is going to take longer to heal and I know my bones might break easier. I won't care if I always have to fly a big, slow parachute. I won't be in this sport to compete, but to just have fun!

This thread has been very helpful and has gotten the responses that I wanted to hear! Thanks!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

This post has been SO helpful! I'm 49 years old. I have 21 jumps in right now and have been wondering if this sport is for me since I've not been able to achieve objectives on my last few coached RW jumps. Reading these comments has made me realize that I don't have to be perfect just yet, and that maybe those younger kids may be more aggressive but I can still have fun taking it slower. Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes! I also started at a relatively "mature" age (48). Now I'm 50, have 200+ jumps and I can assure you two things:
1) my learning is definitely slower than for younger ones
2) it doesn't matter, I have a great time!
I am not in the sport to compete, to be a pro or likewise. I'm in it for fun. As long as you keep your real objective in mind, it won't be bothersome to be a slower learner...
Remember, skydiving is the sport that provides you with with four pleasures:
1) the pleasure of freefall
2) the pleasure of navigation
3) the pleasure of disconnecting with your problems
4) the pleasure of friendship
Each one is as important as the other to me. Keep on!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Thanks, pkasdorf, I needed to hear that this week. :)
I do love this sport and was putting too much pressure on myself to perform. Sometimes it's easy to forget the main thing in skydiving is to be safe and have fun -- all else is just extra!

I made my first jump at age 52. I'm now 57, have made 1060 jumps, including over 300 in the last 12 months. Next week I'm competing in 10-way speed and 16-way at Nationals.

Last year our 10-way team came 5th, beating the GKs. The combined age of #1, 2 and 3 out the door was 179 years.

"I made my first jump at age 52. I'm now 57, have made 1060 jumps, including over 300 in the last 12 months. Next week I'm competing in 10-way speed and 16-way at Nationals"
Kalland, Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck at the nationals! I've got a long way to go before i attempt a 10 way, but i have mastered the "Tandem 6-Way" and the "Tandem Sit". See attachments. Hehe (suppose to be funny)
Steve

sit.jpg

6way.jpg