treiparinti

Hornet 150 lower brakes

Just bought a used but in good condition Hornet 150. When trying fron riser with the toggle in my hands, the canopy starts to "buffet" (i think this is the word :)). If I let the toggles go and make another try with the risers, then everything is ok. I also read some posts about this problem and seems that my brakes are too short. My question, for Hornet jumpers or riggers, which should be the standard lenght for the lower brakes of the 150 Hornet. Mine's are 30 cm (almost 12 inch) from above the upper bartack to the knot of the toggle attachement point.
Thanks,

Thanks for the line specs. I sow this file some time ago, but to be honest I'm not very into rigging and is not very clear to me exactly which should be the lenght of the brakes. If i'm not wrong, in the file the line groups are measured one compared to the other.

Changed them with longer (15 cm longer) ones, changed risers from 19" to 22",

Longer brake lines are good, but the longer risers cancelled some of that out.

Provided that the rest of the lines are within spec, your steering lines are too short. Spectra line will shrink over time, and the lowers need to be let out now and again. Jumpers who don't swoop will never notice the buffet, and jumpers who don't do a full flare don't mind the rising stall point and actually think the short lines make the flare more 'powerful', because the canopy responds sooner in the flare stroke.

Check the rest of the lines, and then let the steering lines out 2" at a time until you lose the buffet. Keep in mind that your stall point (and flare) will get lower and lower each time, so be ready for that on the first jump after an adjustment.