jzzsxm

Phantom X GoPro Visor

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Phantom X GoPro visor or to just put the mount on the top of my helmet. The visor looks great but my primary concern is that the weight of the camera/bracket would cause the visor to fall/slip down. The visor already tends to fall halfway down just by its own weight, I can't imagine the camera would help at all.

I'm also concerned about footage under canopy - I imagine the camera points up at my canopy once I open it which isn't very compelling footage.

So, what do you do with your Phantom X and GoPro? Thanks!

jzzsxm

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Phantom X GoPro visor or to just put the mount on the top of my helmet. The visor looks great but my primary concern is that the weight of the camera/bracket would cause the visor to fall/slip down. The visor already tends to fall halfway down just by its own weight, I can't imagine the camera would help at all.

I'm also concerned about footage under canopy - I imagine the camera points up at my canopy once I open it which isn't very compelling footage.

So, what do you do with your Phantom X and GoPro? Thanks!

Jumping a camera with only 111 jumps in 1 year?!
Jesus Christ!
I hope you don't kill anybody.

I have the PX with GoPro visor. My thoughts:

Pros: Reduced snag hazard, steadier mount, better camera placement.

Cons: You'll need a screwdriver to take camera on/off, lens won't stay up with weight of camera, mount won't fit Hero 3.

I like it. I'm glad I have it. Would I buy it again? Maybe.
Apex BASE

Lens won't stay up is a deal killer for me :(

Thanks for the pros/cons list!

I'm toying with something like this. The visor would open up under the camera. It looks like a snag hazard but the lever arm is so long that I'm thinking, if it does snag, it'd rip the mount right off the helmet.

there are two small spring loaded notches on either side that will keep the lens up. The newer lenses done seem to be recessed enough to let these things engage, so I took a small dremel bit to the lens and now the lens positively locks in the up position (this is with the go pro lens, and the non-go pro lens).

I would definitely recommend the lens, as you can swap lenses as needed without the ugly sticky mounts all over your helmet.

chrisward3

there are two small spring loaded notches on either side that will keep the lens up. The newer lenses done seem to be recessed enough to let these things engage, so I took a small dremel bit to the lens and now the lens positively locks in the up position (this is with the go pro lens, and the non-go pro lens).

I would definitely recommend the lens, as you can swap lenses as needed without the ugly sticky mounts all over your helmet.

:o You're my hero!

That works great, I just used a Dremel and sanded a little half-circle into the polycarb right where the spring plungers are. Thank you so much!

Bodhisattva420

I'd recommend using an audible if you're going to be jumping a GoPro. It's pretty easy to lose altitude awareness on a camera jump.

If this is a risk then you should ditch the camera until you have developed an innate altitude awareness.

Bodhisattva420

I'd recommend using an audible if you're going to be jumping a GoPro. It's pretty easy to lose altitude awareness on a camera jump.

Fantastic, the blind leading the blind.

When your done advising over here maybe you can head over to the two instructors forums, I am sure we could use some insight on lots of things.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

***I'd recommend using an audible if you're going to be jumping a GoPro. It's pretty easy to lose altitude awareness on a camera jump.

Fantastic, the blind leading the blind.

When your done advising over here maybe you can head over to the two instructors forums, I am sure we could use some insight on lots of things.

I shouldn't be offended because hey, it's the internet, but I'm getting a little irked here and on DZ.com in general. I shouldn't have to provide my complete skydiving history and justification for every post in order to avoid being misconstrued as reckless and incompetent.

I plan on jumping a camera at 200 jumps. I plan on having 200 jumps in August. Square 1 has discontinued their GoPro visor so supplies are extremely limited. Square 1 has no inventory, Chutingstar has limited inventory. If I'm going to buy it I have to buy it now, retailers are selling out their stock. Just because people with less than 200 jumps ask about cameras doesn't mean they're "blind," maybe it means that they're doing research and making sure that they don't rush into a foolish purchase without considering all of the ramifications.

Perhaps, instead of jumping to the "he's an idiot and is going to kill himself and others" conclusion people should ask why the poster is inquiring?

Actually I was responding to the other person not qualified to be jumping camera, giving advice on jumping camera. Good over reaction though!

I heard summers eve, gets the sand out, and it keeps your body clean.

Keep it sandy!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P