Kalrigan

Any harm to getting full face helm?

No, Harm was a good choice, we knew what you meant :)
New stuff is always a distraction.

Pull high, anytime you change any parameter is always a good philosophy. Then again plan to pull high and make sure your LO knows.

Benny is a lousey helmet for the tunnel, G3 again is a must have, as well as a couple of others for the tunnel.

You raise an interesting thing about vision in your post and that is a good thing.

Learning to look is a skill that needs to be practiced!

Many will think or say that any of the full face helmets' can limit your periferial vision, this is partly true. But on the other hand your mindset regarding how and where and what you looking at affect your vision much more than most actually think. In this respect limiting your periferial vision by a full face isn't really going to matter. The helmet is really independent of your or anyones ability to look for traffic. This is a little understood phenom by the skydiving community. The problem is that it is very easy to "tell" students that they shouldn't wear full face helmets. In actuality I suspect there is no difference whatsoever.

The caution to you and this certianly isn't negative in any way, is that changing anything can increase your cognitive workload, (can be a distraction.) and if there is any thing you hadn't planed on, this can be a bigger distractiion. In other words freefall is the wrong place to "discover" anything with your gear.

To be clear:

This could also be an issue when many students switch from their pro-tek's to any helmet. The change from a chest alti to a wrist alti can be an issue! This is something that is frequently forgotten during this period and not limited to helmets.

Another example was the period when soo many AFF students switched from rental gear with plastic tube pilot chutes to when they started jumping hackeys or something else. This could be quite a distraction as well.

So in a way you have asked more of a question about progression than anything else. :)
So I say go for it. Just know that if you reach for your visor because (anyone) you forgot to flip it down know that unless you have practiced (which I suggest you (and everyone do!!!) anyways you can end up on your back, which in itself can be fun and something that should be practiced anyways.;)

Their are lots of posts regarding jumpsuits, buy now if you want, the point is stuff can be expensive for most, and what you buy now can end up on the closet floor as yo learn more as time goes on. But on the other hand playing with all of those color computor programs can be a blast and provide endless hours of entertainment. I used to spend hours picking colors only to hit the delete button by saying to myself: That last design was way to girly or way to retro or way to black and white. Only then to see my design on another at some distant DZ[:/]

Have fun!

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Yeah I know Benny isn't that great, even though I did tunnel with it I simply had no choice at that point, and my heart is still set on a G3 in due time.

I definitely understand how changing anything in my equipment can cause some sort of a distraction and to be on safe side it's why I decided to hold off on the G3 for now. I want to get my final approach as great as possible. To be honest with you my first jump of this season (it's my first off season) I was scared shitless. I was not scared about jumping out of the plane, I was not scared of freelfall, I was simply scared about the final approach due to having around 18-19 other people jumping with me out of that Skyvan. I've never had this many people jump with me at the same time and having so many canopies approaching to land at the same time, it was terrifying. Which is why at this point I would rather not mess with anything that distract me when landing right now. Once I get a few more of those jumps out of the way, and get used to the final approach more AND the number of jumpers with me, then I'll grab a G3 for sure.

I mean if things happen in mid air like you said, and I end up on my back it's no big deal. I'm not exactly scared of that, I know how to recover and I had an incident like that in one of my earlier jumps, didn't even panic and just did what I was trained to do and it worked perfectly.

I'll wait on the jumpsuit, no point in rushing. I'll see what exactly need from a jumpsuit first and take it from there.

I grabbed a G3 the next day after AFF graduation. Have done every jump since with it. Love it! Full un obscured vision for me and for my coaches. It's great because I could focus on my dive at all times. Never had to mess with goggles, or fogging up goggles. I hated those lol. To each their own, but having one helmet to always wear whether its in the sky or in the tunnel when starting out is nice because it is never a distraction. And I love the quite G3. Helped me relax a bit

RyanFYF

I grabbed a G3 the next day after AFF graduation. Have done every jump since with it. Love it! Full un obscured vision for me and for my coaches. It's great because I could focus on my dive at all times. Never had to mess with goggles, or fogging up goggles. I hated those lol. To each their own, but having one helmet to always wear whether its in the sky or in the tunnel when starting out is nice because it is never a distraction. And I love the quite G3. Helped me relax a bit

Another great review for G3. I seriously can't wait to get one, I tried my insteuctor's G3 because, well I was really curious about the way it fits and flies and what not, it feels fantastic.

The fact that they have duel audible pockets was the final decider for me. I think only one other full face manufacture has the same.
.........and they look cool :D

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

RyanFYF

I did the same thing. Been using mine since I got off AFF and love it! So comfy and can see anything around you with no obstruction. The lifting of the visor under canopy is no big deal and takes half a second to do. I do it with toggles in hand after i do a canopy control check and look for traffic. I say get one you won't regret it (unless you want to do video work later on maybe) ;)

rohicks

***I grabbed a G3 the next day after AFF graduation. Have done every jump since with it. Love it! Full un obscured vision for me and for my coaches. It's great because I could focus on my dive at all times. Never had to mess with goggles, or fogging up goggles. I hated those lol. To each their own, but having one helmet to always wear whether its in the sky or in the tunnel when starting out is nice because it is never a distraction. And I love the quite G3. Helped me relax a bit

I did the same thing. Been using mine since I got off AFF and love it! So comfy and can see anything around you with no obstruction. The lifting of the visor under canopy is no big deal and takes half a second to do. I do it with toggles in hand after i do a canopy control check and look for traffic. I say get one you won't regret it (unless you want to do video work later on maybe) ;)

Can't do camera work with a G3? I ... I didn't know that. It doesn't matter right now, I'm so far from that point that it doesn't affect me. I'll wait for the Air C6 to come out (apparently some time next week or so) and then make a decision between the two. And of course the biggest dilemma when it comes to buying new gear, making the decision of what color to get seems to always be the hardest haha. Can't pick between black, red, and maybe white.

Thanks for your input considering we're pretty much on the same level. :)

Kalrigan

******I grabbed a G3 the next day after AFF graduation. Have done every jump since with it. Love it! Full un obscured vision for me and for my coaches. It's great because I could focus on my dive at all times. Never had to mess with goggles, or fogging up goggles. I hated those lol. To each their own, but having one helmet to always wear whether its in the sky or in the tunnel when starting out is nice because it is never a distraction. And I love the quite G3. Helped me relax a bit

Can't do camera work with a G3? I ... I didn't know that. It doesn't matter right now, I'm so far from that point that it doesn't affect me. I'll wait for the Air C6 to come out (apparently some time next week or so) and then make a decision between the two. And of course the biggest dilemma when it comes to buying new gear, making the decision of what color to get seems to always be the hardest haha. Can't pick between black, red, and maybe white.

Unfortunately it was not designed for (serious) camera work, but people do use go pros on it. I have a few coaches/instructors at my DZ that use their GoPro on their g3. That's all the advice I can give to you because frankly I don't have an advice based on experience with camera and skydiving; only what I've researched.

See this post.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4469710

Cookie

I have been following this thread as we are fielding a lot of questions regarding G3 helmets, cutaways and snag proof Go Pro specific design.
Following on from our GP solution for our Fuel helmet, the design has been done to integrate this mount onto the G3.
Whilst there are so many directions to take with regards to snag proofing a camera or cutting away a helmet. The evolution of our G3 is as such that it has now become a camera platform. This feature was never part of our design criteria, so add on solutions are presently only possible.

Attached are two photos showing our new GP roller mount with a G3 specific base. This is a prototype and tooling has commence on production parts.
We have polished our crystal ball and are looking into the future towards newer refined products.

Cookie

rohicks

*********I grabbed a G3 the next day after AFF graduation. Have done every jump since with it. Love it! Full un obscured vision for me and for my coaches. It's great because I could focus on my dive at all times. Never had to mess with goggles, or fogging up goggles. I hated those lol. To each their own, but having one helmet to always wear whether its in the sky or in the tunnel when starting out is nice because it is never a distraction. And I love the quite G3. Helped me relax a bit

Unfortunately it was not designed for (serious) camera work, but people do use go pros on it. I have a few coaches/instructors at my DZ that use their GoPro on their g3. That's all the advice I can give to you because frankly I don't have an advice based on experience with camera and skydiving; only what I've researched.

See this post.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4469710

Cookie

I have been following this thread as we are fielding a lot of questions regarding G3 helmets, cutaways and snag proof Go Pro specific design.
Following on from our GP solution for our Fuel helmet, the design has been done to integrate this mount onto the G3.
Whilst there are so many directions to take with regards to snag proofing a camera or cutting away a helmet. The evolution of our G3 is as such that it has now become a camera platform. This feature was never part of our design criteria, so add on solutions are presently only possible.

Attached are two photos showing our new GP roller mount with a G3 specific base. This is a prototype and tooling has commence on production parts.
We have polished our crystal ball and are looking into the future towards newer refined products.

Cookie

Yeah not too worried about having a cam on my G3. By the time I even get to 200 jumps, I'll probably end up getting some open face helm that's suitable for camera work. Until then, G3 it is. Thank you. :)