Kalrigan

Any harm to getting full face helm?

So I'm looking into buying a few things, grabbing an Altimaster Galaxy for an alti, and considering grabbing a Cookie G3. I have my solo and working my way towards an A. I was wondering if there is any harm in getting a full face helmet at my level or if I should stick to open face.

Any adivce?

There are pros and cons to each. Cookie's open face helmets look more trendy, in my opinion. Not like you're being shot out of a canon or work as a storm trooper on the death star. But the plus side to the full face is you won't need goggles - one less thing to worry about when trying to make the next load.
Skydiving is serious business

Hah Storm Trooper. I decided to contact one my instructors and good thing he was around, he told me to stick to the open face one that I currently own and wait it out for some more jumps before switching. He said I should just get to like 25 jumps first, then grab a full face one if I still want it.

So I'm going with that. Thank you gentlemen.

I recommend the Bonehead Revolve.

Not only does the front swing all the way open,
You can easily remove it and use the helmet as an open face helmet whenever you want.

It's about the same price as a G3 and, I believe, more comfortable.

The only drawback is they don't offer tinted shields.

Kalrigan

Hah Storm Trooper. I decided to contact one my instructors and good thing he was around, he told me to stick to the open face one that I currently own and wait it out for some more jumps before switching. He said I should just get to like 25 jumps first, then grab a full face one if I still want it.

Good stuff. Did he say why?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

***Hah Storm Trooper. I decided to contact one my instructors and good thing he was around, he told me to stick to the open face one that I currently own and wait it out for some more jumps before switching. He said I should just get to like 25 jumps first, then grab a full face one if I still want it.

Good stuff. Did he say why?

He mentioned a few things:
After opening, opening the visor could complicate my flight. Instead of worrying about getting my visor opened up, I should be paying more attention to canopy checks and looking around for other canopies when heading towards my final approach. At this point, I'm better off not complicating things more than I have to right now. I should just get used to the things I'm supposed to do right now, do them properly and once I'm past that point I could start thinking about switching things around.

Kalrigan

He mentioned a few things:
After opening, opening the visor could complicate my flight. Instead of worrying about getting my visor opened up, I should be paying more attention to canopy checks and looking around for other canopies when heading towards my final approach. At this point, I'm better off not complicating things more than I have to right now. I should just get used to the things I'm supposed to do right now, do them properly and once I'm past that point I could start thinking about switching things around.

Very good advice.

Like I said, the Revolve by Bonehead can be easily changed to an open face helmet and when you feel comfortable enough, you can make it a full face again.

I really like mine.

Anyway, happy learning and always seek advice!

Yep, again. Good stuff. And...

- When doing jumps with Instructors or Coaches, we like to be be able to easily see your face and eyes. It tells us something about your mental state, your focus, your comfort, your awareness and things like that.

- We want you to feel your environment in all its aspects. It helps open up that sphere of awareness in the long run.

- One less thing you have to worry about while you have more important stuff to focus on.

To add to Tetrahedron's recommendation - all full face visors can be removed...yes, some more easily than others.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Tetrahedron

Very good advice.

Like I said, the Revolve by Bonehead can be easily changed to an open face helmet and when you feel comfortable enough, you can make it a full face again.

I really like mine.

Anyway, happy learning and always seek advice!

That does look like a great helm for my situation, I just looked into it. Will definitely take it into consideration.
Always learning in this sport, always. :)

popsjumper

Yep, again. Good stuff. And...

- When doing jumps with Instructors or Coaches, we like to be be able to easily see your face and eyes. It tells us something about your mental state, your focus, your comfort, your awareness and things like that.

- We want you to feel your environment in all its aspects. It helps open up that sphere of awareness in the long run.

- One less thing you have to worry about while you have more important stuff to focus on.

To add to Tetrahedron's recommendation - all full face visors can be removed...yes, some more easily than others.

That makes sense, I can definitely agree with that. I'm gonna stick to my benny for now, just ordered some goggles and alti from chutingstar. I'll leave the helm decision, and maybe a jumpsuit decision by then, for when I grab my A. Hopefully.

Thank you guys, you've been great help. As always.

Kalrigan

So I'm looking into buying a few things, grabbing an Altimaster Galaxy for an alti, and considering grabbing a Cookie G3. I have my solo and working my way towards an A. I was wondering if there is any harm in getting a full face helmet at my level or if I should stick to open face.

Any adivce?

No.

(I mean answereing your question about "...harm..." I mean it's a great helmet. And a must have for wind tunnel!)

I could mention that it can be a distraction at the same time your getting out the door. Hearing is muffled. If you forget to put the visor down, not a big deal to just flip it down in freefall. Cept if your not stable yet while doing things with your arms?

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

popsjumper

Mike G. is correct.
I was pokin' fun at myself for typing Nike G.
:D:D
Fumble-fingers.

Ah I see, haha ok.

ChrisD

No.

(I mean answereing your question about "...harm..." I mean it's a great helmet. And a must have for wind tunnel!)

I could mention that it can be a distraction at the same time your getting out the door. Hearing is muffled. If you forget to put the visor down, not a big deal to just flip it down in freefall. Cept if your not stable yet while doing things with your arms?

C

Well by harm I meant will it affect me negatively while I'm still learning at my level. Distraction, or vision, or whatever. That's what I meant. I guess I shouldn't have used the word harm, now that I think about it it sounds too extreme for what I meant.

Iago

Wait until you get around 50+ jumps before you start looking at buyning jumpsuits. You have no idea what you will need until you really start jumping with 4 ways that are more experienced than you. You could be a floaty feather and need a skin-tight nylon. Or you could be a dapper little waif that can put their feet on their head, which results in falling like a greased safe.

And keep an eye out for used stuff.

That is great advice, can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you, I'll stick to what I got for now. :)