ScottB

Calling someone a baby on first jump?

Ya know this just disappoints me to no end. As someone that has been active in sports since knee high to a grasshopper, its always been about the perpetuation of sports. To be inclusive and engaging, and helping people realize that the only limitations are the ones that they set for themselves. You mean to tell me that all that time, energy and caring was for naught? Well I say BS and I shall continue on the same road. Only by facing our fears and inviting them to sit down for a chat, can we overcome them. More often than not when we do, we realize there is only one kind of real fear anyway. So that said....:P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~raspberry!!!

This is simply bullshit......
Some jumpmasters just dont get it!!!
A baby...no she is not....she got in the plane, just couldnt get out.

Tami

Yes.. I agree too. she may be scared or timid.. but for someone to actually do something in this sport they have to first be ready for it.. That definately includes the first jump.. How many jumpers have you seen come down from their first jump and freeze up when they are supposed to flare..Any one think those people were ready for that first step? I don't .

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

b/c it's the military .... But for someone learning to skydive, it's for fun, not for war.

exactly Hell my JM (gotta love joe) had to keep telling me to lighten up, this isnt the military...and you know what? once i learned to relax my flying improved immensely.

most of the "hard" types dont have a clue..
"hard" breaks, eventually, everytime. flexibility is the real answer. trollboy obviously hasnt met any real military.

I hope she ends up going back and doing it because I know myself, I would chicken out completely if a JM called me a baby on my first jump. Thank God all my instructors were supportive of me, especially when I was feeling nervous (or scared to death).

I tried to learn scuba diving once, and the instructors yelled at me and made fun of me when I had a hard time. I left there crying and never went back. That's ok though, because then I found skydiving!! :)

Christine

Ha ha ha...I left Scuba-diving for Skydiving, too, but only b/c I can only afford one EXPENSIVE hobby. Actually, I still scuba once in a while. I LOVE it, but I rent gear, now, as I sold all my scuba gear to help pay for skydiving! Ha ha ha. I've done a lot of traveling, and a scuba license is a cool thing to have, much like a skydiving license.

I must admitt I am not a Jumpmaster, but now that I have reviewed my experience I will confess: On saturday I called an AFF 2 student a baby. She was really nice, so I said: "Looking good baby, have fun" and I jumped out
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Another thing yall,
This girl is one of us, i met her on dz.com...
And is one of the most real people i have ever met in my life...
She was just human up in the plane...
When any one else would try to give her positive thoughts, we were looked at like "step the fuck back" by the instructor...
This person was a friend of mine before the jump and i even kind of helped push her along to make the aff jump...
I have seen a part of skydiving i dont want to see again...
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

How ironic this thread starts talking about scuba / snorkeling firsts!!!
Scotty has been trying to get me to scuba / snorkel for so long.
PLEASE NO laughing or NO calling me a baby but I am scared to death that JAWS is gonna get me.
I am serious :$
I am for real :$
People do laugh at me...they say "you can jump out of planes but you are scared of fish".
Yes, I am !!!!
Scotty just bought me some snorkel stuff and we are going for the first time on Thursday.
AHHHH I have had some serious nightmares...no shit!!!
I LUV the water and have been swimming since before I could walk!!!
Lets see if I GET OUT OF THE BOAT !!!!
I have more anxiety about the creatures of the sea than I ever did about skydiving. The sky is our world….but the sea is their world (the creatures that is)!!!
I am sure that if I get really scared and panic….Scotty will just hold my head underwater and start yelling “GET OVER IT PUSSY”!!!!
No seriously wish me luck…..and I pray the beauty of it all will help overcome my fear [:/]
<>
Tami

Tammi,

JRAF will kill me for instructing you to watch TV, BUT, I'm going to anyways. If you watch the shark documentaries on the Discovery Channel you will be amazed at how they've been made out to be a monster in the media, when really, they're not often very aggressive to humans.

Certain species, obviously, are but I've seen a couple sharks during my scuba dives and they go about their business. They have no desire to eat you. I've been on lots of dives in the Carribean as i used to take summer vacations there all the time. In all my dives, I've only seen a couple sharks. They were around the reef looking for fish, I imagine. No worries;).

I understand your fear, though. Sharks are the closest tangible thing to a fear that I have. But I won't let that stop me from enjoying the ocean and all it has to offer. It's completely understandable if you don't choose to go. Afterall, you don't want to panic when you're 60 feet under water. But maybe you shoudl give it a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised!

One destination on my list is a great white shark dive. Obviously, you're in a cage when you do these dives. I'd really love to go though....anyone interested in planning a trip?:P

Tamigirl, I love scuba diving, it is fun, it's great, it opens a great new world for you. Trhere are however two things that I trully fear in life;). The one is Aeroflot, the other is SHARKS! I fully understand your fear, but take it from one chicken to the other - it is easier to hook into the ground than it is to be eaten by a shark. Wear a full foam suit, don't touch anything you normally would not touch, and just be carefull. Most of all diving to me is a buddy sport. You take care of your buddy and vice versa. Have fun BABY;)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Thanks for the encouragment PLF (what a concept ehh) ;)
Its really not only sharks, its fish in general (kind a wierd) but its 1 of 2 Phobia's I have the other one being BUGS....gee man and I live in Florida "go figure"!!!
Scotty is starting me out slow with snorkeling. No scuba yet....baby steps.
I am so scared but yet so excited!!!

GOD...I HAVE FREAKING GOOSE BUMPS....THIS IS SO COOL!!!!

Its really not only sharks, its fish in general (kind a wierd) but its 1 of 2 Phobia's I have the other one being BUGS....gee man and I live in Florida "go figure"!!!

He he he...you're so funny. I love fish and I can't kill ANYTHING with one exception...cockroaches. If there is any type of bug in my house, I capture it and put it outside. I can't kill ANYTHING. Even if I have a house plant on it's last leg, I nurse the thing to hell to get it to come back. I just can't bare me killing anything. However, I WON'T REST until a cockroach is dead. I live in Florida, too. Go figure!

When I was little, I had a pair of cow-boy boots that went up to my knees b/c my father made me wear them whenever I'd ride around with him on his motorcycle. I used to keep them by my bed at all times. That way, if I saw a roach, I could put them on and he couldn't hurt me and I could step on him w/out having to feel him. Ha ha ha ha! I"m a clean freak so I keep our house spick and span, which seems to reduce the # of roaches. I almost never see one. If I do see one, though, I usually stick a bowl over it and wake up my boyfriend in the middle of a sound sleep to go be a hero and kill it for me.

However, the other night, he was out of town and I stepped on one with my BARE FOOT! I let out a blood curdling scream and RAN to my bedroom to get my boots. Not the same ones I had as a child, mind you, but a pair of red boots that my boyfriend recently bought for me b/c I'd always wanted a pair. So there I was, in my pajama shirt and a pair of red boots, scurrying around the house trying to find the evil beast. THANK GOD for my kitty cat, Sabre. I heard him meowing in the office. He had his paw over the beast and was calling for me to let me know he captured it. He moved his paw and I stepped on the damn thing w/ my boots so hard it left a black stain on my carpet. I had to use stain remover on it! Ha ha ha ha!

I felt really bad, though, afterwards. Afterall, cockroaches are always running away from you, not after you. The poor thing was probably so scared and I smooshed the shit out of it. Ha ha ha! I prayed for forgiveness afterwards. Ha ha ha ha!

So, I understand how you feel about living in Florida and still not liking bugs. Like I said, no bug, no snake, no nothing bothers me EXCEPT ROACHES! If there's a snake on the back porch, my dad would always call me out to come get it. I'd just pick it up and put it in the grass. A roach, on the other hand, just scares the shit out of me. Go figure.:P

I've been in the oceans for years and scuba is a wonderful buddy sport. I've never had an issue with sharks, although have seen them up close and personal.
I however, would rather jump out of da plane........
snokeling is a good way to indroduce yourself to the wonders of the sea.....good luck!

All the boys say,
Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey
Girls Say, Girls Say,
Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey
Hey Baby Baby
Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey
Boys Say, Boys Say
Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey
All the boys get the girls in the back

I sofa king want Gwen Stefani!:ph34r:

Tami,
You have to understand that sharks actually are a little concerned about us. To them, you are another 5-foot animal. A 5-foot shark doesn't want to get into an even fight. Injuries mean death in the animal world. There is no walk-in clinics for sharks. Animals want smaller or wounded prey. It may take a while before you actually ever see a shark. Barracuda will back up if you approach them (no jewelry, they like that). Don't grab the eels, they do bite.
Scuba is very relaxing and peaceful. Like a walk at Cypress Gardens except quieter and under 30 ft of water. Very beautiful. Enjoy.B|

I agree with JRAF. I did my ground school with Sally as well. The staff at z-hills has been awesome. They were very concerned with my safety and me having fun. Even when since I grduated AFF they are still easy to approach with general questions or advice. Never did any of them make me feel inadequate.

Just jumped in on this thread.

Respect the Dolphin

Thanks guys...i am feeling pretty confident about it...thursday will tell!!!! And PLF...I am buying me some bug-kickin boots...yee-ha!

Barracuda will back up if you approach them (no jewelry, they like that). Don't grab the eels, they do bite.

I have already been warned about my belly-button ring that has a little sterling silver closing pin dangling from it...LOOKS LIKE BARRACUDA BAIT!
"you can bet your sweet cheeks I'll be wearing a one piece swimsuit".
And as far as reaching out to touch an eel.....I THINK NOT.....AHHHH!!! Here come the nightmares......:S
Latar Gators,
Tami