juggalo17

new Vigil Service Bulletins, SB 9 and 10

Product Service Bulletin #9 and #10 from A.A.D. -Vigil, plus a link to the new “Multimode Vigil II User’s Manual US v II.0.6” which is available to download @ http://www.vigil.aero/wp-content/uploads/Vigil-II-users-manual-II.0.6.pdf
Please read both PSB 9, 10 and the new manual carefully.

- PSB 9 is regarding the waterproof of Vigil II. After water immersion, it is now mandatory to send the unit back to A.A.D. for inspection. Vigils that have not been in contact with water, are NOT concerned with this PSB. The Vigil II is waterproof. This bulletin is a precautionary measure in case moisture penetrates the seal of the unit.

- PSB 10 is regarding the 14 hour forced shut down for Vigil II units from S/N 26172 or higher. This is advisory, NOT MANDATORY. Customers who wish can have their Vigil II (S/N 11800 until S/N 26171) upgraded to main software 2.50 or higher, to avoid “Airborne” situations. For more info, please contact A.A.D. (Brussels, Belgium) or Vigil America (Deland,FL).

- The “Multimode Vigil II User’s Manual US v II.0.6” has some changes concerning water immersion and forced 14 hour shut down. Please read it carefully.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Vigil America, Inc.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Implications of these bulletins as I see it:

So SB-10 addresses the old issue of jumpers not understanding that the shut down of the Vigil has long been different from that of the Cypres, that driving away from the DZ with it on can leave it on permanently and ready to fire at an unanticipated altitude. From v 2.50 onwards the unit always switches off after 14 hours.

Vigil had also been criticized in these forums for having modified the behaviour of those newer Vigils (v2.50), without notifying users or changing the manual. You can't tell someone to RTFM if the manual has an inaccurate description of the product's behaviour.

The bulletin addresses that problem.

As for SB-9, that takes away one advantage of the Vigil over the Cypres.

If a Cypres 2 gets wet, the filter has to be changed. If a Vigil II got wet, it was OK. (Although one had to dry the filter and were supposed to do a pressure reading with the Vigil to confirm that it matched an accurate local air pressure, to ensure the filter was indeed clear.)

So the Vigil II is now considered USUALLY waterproof, but having to send it back to the company (USA or Europe) if wet, in effect means that it is NOT WATERPROOF for the purpose of continuing to jump.

This is a discouragement to anyone pond swooping with a Vigil.

I'm not sure how wet AAD's do get within a rig from a brief dip in the pond, but I could see that some people might just get a rigger to open up the Vigil and have a look at it & air dry it, rather than properly following the bulletin...

;)

The skydiving public is asking for "adjustable activation altitudes."

:)

C

This is coming regardless of marketing retoric.

Does anyone have any response that is on target?

Once again, and I feel, and this is my opinion, feel free to crucify me at will...

We still need the answere to the question about Vigil and adjustable activation altitudes and offsets expanded and clairified!

The Cypres people have answered this question with the introduction of new feature. I really don't nor am I playing foavorites here...I really belive that the manuals for both of these devices can be better! And as consumers we have a right to ask for more!

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

It has long been known and discussed on this site - in multiple threads - that the Vigil can be offset for the firing altitude. I'm not talking about take off site vs landing site.

The user can set the device to activate higher by increments of 150 feet (or 50 meters).

Once the user has made that adjustment, the Vigil will always turn on with that offset locked in as a default setting until the user changes it.

That means: if the user offsets the Vigil by + 300 feet, the device will activate the firing sequence 300 feet higher than it's factory setting. And the unit will always keep that setting until someone manually changes it in the setup.

So - in the " Pro " mode the LCD screen will show " P + 300 " when powered up. Which indicates PRO mode plus a 300 feet higher firing altitude.

I hope that directly answers your question. Please let me know if I need to be more clear.

Sometimes what makes sense to me doesn't make sense to others.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Skydivesg

It has long been known and discussed on this site - in multiple threads - that the Vigil can be offset for the firing altitude. I'm not talking about take off site vs landing site.

The user can set the device to activate higher by increments of 150 feet (or 50 meters).

Once the user has made that adjustment, the Vigil will always turn on with that offset locked in as a default setting until the user changes it.

That means: if the user offsets the Vigil by + 300 feet, the device will activate the firing sequence 300 feet higher than it's factory setting. And the unit will always keep that setting until someone manually changes it in the setup.

So - in the " Pro " mode the LCD screen will show " P + 300 " when powered up. Which indicates PRO mode plus a 300 feet higher firing altitude.

I hope that directly answers your question. Please let me know if I need to be more clear.

Sometimes what makes sense to me doesn't make sense to others.

But not in the manual, that comes with the unit?

So what you are saying is that if you want to "learn" about this "feature" you have to come to the internet?

Once again, supposition and heresay, if not downright speculation rules the day?

C

You would think that the manufacturer would have included this little tidbit in their late'st revision of their manual?

The manual, latest rev, makes reference to "altitude correction," and in each and every instance makes reference to differing ground levels in the same sentence or following sentence. As when the take off altitude differs from the landing altitude.

There is no reference to any adjustable activation altitude!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."