Obongo

newbie rigging question

Are there any tutorials anywhere on how to detach a main canopy from a container? Or would someone be able to explain it?

I decided I want to sell my main and would like to disassemble it from my container and pilot chute so I can take better pics, and so others can demo it on their containers. But more importantly so I can jump on another main in the mean time.

So how do I detach it?

Sorry am a complete newb when it comes to gear and rigging, never bothered to learn that stuff :P but help would be greatly appreciated, much thanks!

Spread it out as is and photograph it. Crop the rig out of the photo if it bothers you.

The next time you're at the DZ talk with your rigger, or find a rigger to be yours. He or she will give you the "tutorial"; information you need to know to detach your main from the risers and PC.

It's a relatively simple task but you will want hands on instruction.

As well he or she might help you sell it.

Cheers.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Get a canopy card, or make one out of cardboard. These keep the lines organized between left and right risers, and front and rear. There is also two more spot for the brake lines.

Don't take the lines off of the links or slinks. In my opinion those go with the canopy.

If you sell a canopy with no links because you're a cheap ass, at least put them on bread bag twist ties or small zip ties to keep them in an organized fashion. The should be in the same order as they came off the risers. A buyer should do a four line check, but it is nice not to have to undo everything because they are all out of order.

If the canopy has rapide links be careful for any sharp burrs on the links, you don't want to damage the riser webbing, or the lines.

Finally if you send the canopy with all of the lines everywhere, all tangled up and out of sorts, you are a dick! :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Obongo

...and so others can demo it on their containers.

I just noticed this gem! Don't do this!

Have it inspected by your rigger, he can speak to its condition.

If it is in trim, isn't ragged out, never been wet, then it will fly like every other canopy of the same make and size.

Making your canopy available for demos is a good way to get it chopped and lost, or have it pick up additional damage from sloppy packing that will make it harder to sell.

Plus, if it isn't on a set of risers you are going to need to count on proper assembly on a set of risers by any potential buyer that wants to demo. Hooked up wrong could get it chopped and lost in a tree!

Sounds like a terrible idea, almost as bad as renting out your gear when your not a dzo. Let them demo a canopy from the canopy manufacturers.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Obongo

Are there any tutorials anywhere on how to detach a main canopy from a container? Or would someone be able to explain it?

I decided I want to sell my main and would like to disassemble it from my container and pilot chute so I can take better pics, and so others can demo it on their containers. But more importantly so I can jump on another main in the mean time.

So how do I detach it?

Sorry am a complete newb when it comes to gear and rigging, never bothered to learn that stuff :P but help would be greatly appreciated, much thanks!

This is redonkulous...

Your post says you have over 200 jumps, this implies that you have never cleaned, inspected or oiled your cutaway cables???

Ok, for the sake of argument, and I'm not picking on you here, :)

"JUMPERS" AT 200 PLUS JUMPS PLEASE KNOW HOW TO DISSCONNECT YOUR MAINS!!!!!

This is basic shit and the skydiving community is to blame that so many don't know or understand how their gear works!!!

C

:S
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Obongo

So how do I detach it?

B|
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Obongo

So how do I detach it?

You can't be serious right? Were you required to take a packing class to file for a license?

ChrisD

This is redonkulous...

Your post says you have over 200 jumps, this implies that you have never cleaned, inspected or oiled your cutaway cables???

Lighten up, Francis. Outside of the cutaway cables, he's asking how to remove the line groups from the risers and the toggles from the steering lines etc. Likewise, unless the OP demos a lot of canopies there is probably little experience with removing / reattaching dbag, bridle etc.

Pretty sure that isn't covered in the standard assemble three rings / clean cable / replace closing loop stuff required for the A license.

Francis?

Wasent that the talking mule in those Mickey Rooney movies?

Think a little harder folks, this means that using this type of logic...

The "parachute user" is unable to tell if in fact his / her equipment is in proper order. Basically if you don't know how to do this simple procedure, HOW can yo than say with a straight face wheather or not they can tell if it is correctly hooked up in the first place?

How can they notice any problems with their 3 rings, riseers, brake lines etc???????

So some of yo are saying they know enough to inspect their gear, but they can't change out a set of risers?

I say if you don't know how these things work in the first place...

You have no buisness handling a rig unless it has been handed to you by your rigger or AFF instuctors.

If you don't know how it works then you cant inspect it for any issues and you are a danger to yourself and others...

Just my 2 cents

BR-549 HEE HAW.... [inline BR-549.jpg]

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

hillson

*** This is redonkulous...

Lighten up, Francis. Outside of the cutaway cables, he's asking how to remove the line groups from the risers and the toggles from the steering lines etc. Likewise, unless the OP demos a lot of canopies there is probably little experience with removing / reattaching dbag, bridle etc.

Pretty sure that isn't covered in the standard assemble three rings / clean cable / replace closing loop stuff required for the A license.

Nope. NOT lighten up.
By saying "lighten up" you are condoning ignorance of how the gear works...ALL of it. By 200 jumps, no...well before 200 jumps, EVERY single soul that exits an aircraft with parachuting gear should know exactly how it works, why it works that way, and what to do if it doesn't work as it's supposed to.

Nope. NOT lighten up. 200 jumps and never even asked about it before? BS...dangerous BS, too. Raises the question of what else has the OP ignored.
>:(

Sounds like you are saying it's OK to sit back and wait for somebody to come teach you. "I didn't know because nobody offered to teach me." BS, BS, BS.

Good call, Chris_D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

GooniesKid

You can't be serious right? Were you required to take a packing class to file for a license?

The OP's question has nothing to do with packing. It's all about gear knowledge and maintenance.

Strictly as an aside - or maybe not - your question really should have been worded better for clarity.

What it seems you're referring to is detaching your main canopy from the risers and pilot chute (and apparently from the d-bag? not sure) - but not from the container- so that you can sell the canopy but keep the risers, and pilot chute. Not really clear whether you intend to keep or sell the d-bag, but I guess you mean "keep". At least that's what I think that's what you're trying to say. I guess.

To me, "detaching a main canopy from the container" is called "cutting away", which is obviously apparently not what you're talking about.

And to add to what Pops said: in my book, knowing and using clear, proper nomenclature for discussing gear is all part of the package of "knowing your gear".

Andy9o8

in my book, knowing and using clear, proper nomenclature for discussing gear is all part of the package of "knowing your gear".

+1.
Thanks.

popsjumper

Sounds like you are saying it's OK to sit back and wait for somebody to come teach you. "I didn't know because nobody offered to teach me." BS, BS, BS.

It looks to me as though the OP is asking for help to learn more about his gear, and getting nothing but grief for his efforts. Hopefully his local riggers are more open to the idea of helping jumpers seeking help.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***Sounds like you are saying it's OK to sit back and wait for somebody to come teach you. "I didn't know because nobody offered to teach me." BS, BS, BS.

It looks to me as though the OP is asking for help to learn more about his gear, and getting nothing but grief for his efforts. Hopefully his local riggers are more open to the idea of helping jumpers seeking help.

When did the days when common sense was ok to be used end ?

Unscrewing a barrel on a rapid link or unthreading a slink is hardly rocket surgery. Or maybe I am just a genius.

likestojump

When did the days when common sense was ok to be used end ?

Unscrewing a barrel on a rapid link or unthreading a slink is hardly rocket surgery. Or maybe I am just a genius.

Smart and/or cautious folks often like to make sure they are not overlooking anything before proceeding with an unfamiliar task, especially when the stakes are as high as in skydiving.

Wow these are the kind of responses I get for asking a simple question?

Obviously I could BS my way through it but I was hoping to find a tutorial that explains every step properly so I don't overlook anything. Forgive me for seeking advice on how to do something the right way.

I'll follow up on the one serious reply I received via PM about a youtube tutorial, which was the kind of thing I was looking for.

I don't think I'll be using this forum any more for advice since people here are clearly dickheads.

Obongo

Wow these are the kind of responses I get for asking a simple question?

Obviously I could BS my way through it but I was hoping to find a tutorial that explains every step properly so I don't overlook anything. Forgive me for seeking advice on how to do something the right way.

I'll follow up on the one serious reply I received via PM about a youtube tutorial, which was the kind of thing I was looking for.

I don't think I'll be using this forum any more for advice since people here are clearly dickheads.

Can you publish the YouTube link, please?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Maybe it is not worth much at this point but there are assembly instructions included in the various container manuals. If you did those in reverse...

If this is your first time disassembling a main canopy I advise getting hands on help. It is not terribly difficult but some things are best shown rather than read.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Yup, there are a lot of people that hang out here who are eager to criticize. It`s easier and somehow more fulfilling than being helpful.

There is a trend for newer jumpers to take advantage of the marketing of jumping and getting trained to jump quickly without going through the slow and more balanced learning process that used to be the norm. A lot of the grief you are getting here is the result of frustration about this. People used to accumulate much more gear knowledge than they need to now, and it`s not a good thing.

I agree that you have been trashed here and all you were doing was seeking knowledge. Ive seen it before, you aren`t the first victim of this. The best place to learn is at the DZ. Try to learn as much as you can from the people you jump with. FWIW I know lots of people with many jumps and limited gear skills. They pay packers and riggers and never learn very much.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jcd11235

... Hopefully his local riggers are more open to the idea of helping jumpers seeking help.

Hopefully so. This is not the place to learn that stuff.

Given that he had to ask here, after so may jumps, we wonder about the learning process he's going through, or not.

jcd11235

So, now you've patted him on the head and told him, "It's OK, You're doing just fine. Don't let the meanies get to you. You just keep right on doing what you are doing....ignoring your previous training, jumping for so long with little idea of how your gear works, failing to learn about your gear after so long a time, trying to learn on the internet, depending on the internet to train you and maybe even endangering others with your gear ignorance. Yep, you're doin' jes' fine."

Grand, just grand.

And you can see from his attitude that it's exactly what he wants you to say.

:S

popsjumper

This is not the place to learn that stuff.

Yeah, god forbid anyone ask about gear or rigging in the Gear and Rigging forum. :S

popsjumper

So, now you've patted him on the head and told him, "It's OK, You're doing just fine. Don't let the meanies get to you. You just keep right on doing what you are doing....ignoring your previous training, jumping for so long with little idea of how your gear works, failing to learn about your gear after so long a time, trying to learn on the internet, depending on the internet to train you and maybe even endangering others with your gear ignorance. Yep, you're doin' jes' fine."

Grand, just grand.

And you can see from his attitude that it's exactly what he wants you to say.

I didn't tell him he'll be just fine. I just didn't shit all over his request for help like you did with your holier than thou attitude. Some of us were fortunate enough to come up around more experienced jumpers who actually cared about those who had less experience and wanted to learn. Clearly, you aren't such a role model.

jcd11235

Yeah, god forbid anyone ask about gear or rigging in the Gear and Rigging forum.

*shaking head*...the internets...the internets

jcd11235

I didn't tell him he'll be just fine. I just didn't shit all over his request for help like you did with your holier than thou attitude. Some of us were fortunate enough to come up around more experienced jumpers who actually cared about those who had less experience and wanted to learn. Clearly, you aren't such a role model.

I guess you missed the part about this type of stuff being best learned first-hand instead on from the internet...video or not.

I'll quote glowlerk from above:

There is a trend for newer jumpers to take advantage of the marketing of jumping and getting trained to jump quickly without going through the slow and more balanced learning process that used to be the norm.....People used to accumulate much more gear knowledge than they need to now, and it`s not a good thing.

So, you're the "I need to be patted on the head type, too, eh?
When you don't know anything, everybody is "holier than thou", wouldn't you agree?

You inappropriately equate tone with caring. The mature ones are able to hear the message. The immature ones block their ears because the tone doesn't suit their needs.

One doesn't need a role model in this sport. Daddies don't work here. One needs to learn to be able to take care of himself....and that comes from listening, not whining about tone.
If you are only going to listen to those who sweet-talk you, you'll be missing some good stuff and it's going to take longer to get to where you are going.

But then, OTOH, you are correct. I could have approached him in some other manner.