corpkid

Flight suit question

So I'm a noob with about 30 mins in the tunnel. Going for AFF in July. Training with Ari Perelman, etc. That all said, I want to buy my own flight suit. Are suits the same in the tunnel as they are for the skies? Anyone have a good recommendation on a beginner suit? The ones at the tunnel the last two times have been pretty battered up and the last time I had some webbing on the arm smacking me in the face every time I turned left. Pretty annoying. Also, I'm looking to get a full face helmet. I honestly have no idea where to start and appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
d

Wait until after AFF training. Your AFF instructors will be putting you in suits that THEY choose. The suit you buy now, may or may not be appropriate for AFF. If it's not, you won't be able to use it until you get cleared for self-supervision anyway.

Plus, by waiting, you'll have more opportunity to learn about what's available and get input from others on quality, customer service, options, price differentials and the such.

Plus, by waiting, you'll have a better idea on what type of suit that will best enhance your flying for discipline and fall rate.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I know you are anxious to get started and that's very common. Slowing down and taking it one step at a time will benefit you across the board in all your skydiving related activities.

So, same advice as before.

You'll be given all the equipment you need for your training.
A full-face for training is NOT recommended.

They will give you an open faced helmet and goggles that fit over your glasses. We need to easily see your face and eyes. It's one of the things we use to determine awareness and your overall mind set.

Save all gear purchases until after you talk to the instructors that will be training you.

Normally, it's OK to buy clear goggles and an altimeter while still in training but being able to use them will be the instructors call.

Besides, who knows? That first jump may just scare the hell out of you enough to quit on the spot. It has happened.

Here's something you CAN do prior to training....

Your questions will be answered in your First Jump Course (FJC) by your instructors. They will teach you what to do and how to do it. I'm reluctant to say anything about how to do it because it may conflict with what your instructors tell you. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Follow their instruction, not the internet's advice.

BUT! There IS some valued learning you can get under your belt before the FJC.

Start with the United States Parachute Association (USPA).
Download the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM).
Here's the link:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

You'll want to read Chapters 1-3 and Categories A-C in Chapter 4. That's pretty much what will be covered in the FJC. Do try to avoid getting ahead of yourself too far. There's a lot of information in that book and we want you to focus on what you are learning now without having all the other stuff clog your brain.

Also from the USPA, look at their Ground School presentation. You'll be getting a lot of that in FJC, too.

http://www.uspa.org/...bid/557/Default.aspx

Good luck and Blue Skies!

If you run into a tandem master named Mark, give him a big, wet, sloppy kiss on the lips...you'll make a friend for life....well, for however long your life lasts after that anyway.
:D:D:D;)

Pops - you crack me up and yet I feel like I should listen to you. My goal is not to be the hottest of hotshots, but to just have fun and go home at the end of the day to my family. My mom will kill me if I die. LOL Thanks for the real advice. Means alot. :)

OH and I can tell you I won't be freaked out and quit. I have done 3 tandems and much time in the tunnel and I love body flight (and am told I do an OK job at it). That all said, may I buy an altimeter and if so, link please? :) I know, I'm being a noob but I do want to get serious about this. ;)