Skyrose7

nervous jumpers...raaaalph

This weekend at my dz there was a tandem student that threw up under canopy. I just saw the end result--the messy student, the soaked harness, and the oh so lucky, just slightly puked on tandem master. Ha, ha, I bet the video will be good.
Anyway, people always say they think they will pee themselves if they jump. Anyone know someone or have lost control of any bodily function?? justa wonderin..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I used to get airsick pretty easy. On my first Tandem, we got to altitude and the door on the 182 was stuck (keep in mind that we were at 18k msl, and on o2). We circled for about 15 minutes trying to get the door up, then had to land, and have someone slip a multi-tool in through the crack to open the door while we were re-fueling.

On the ride to altitude for the second time I started to feel queasy. I didn't say anything, thinking it would go away. Exit and freefall were o.k., but once we opened the TM started to spiral. I told him "if you do that again, I'm gonna puke!".

He told me to take off one of my gloves, which I did. Then he told me "if you have to puke, puke in your glove!", then continued to spiral till just before landing.I swear, if we had been in the air another 15 seconds I would've heaved!

I continued to be airsick till probably around jump 25 or 30. It wasn't till around jump 30 that I stopped getting airsick, and even realized (thanks Michele!!! :$) that I could eat something in the middle of the day without getting queasy!

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

my dz owner told me a story about when he used to jumpmaster. THe kid started bulging his cheeks when the door opened, and then he couldn't hold it anymore. so, the jm told the pilot to take them down, but the kid started shaking his head no. jm said, "you still want to jump?!" student nodded head strongly so jm let him. I guess the kid threw up under canopy too. I guess some just have a weak stomach.:S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

I never get airsick. The only time I even came close was after a 2 hour 45 minute ride in a Cessna 150. I was coming back from LA (Lower Alabama) on a hot June day. Go under a cloud and go up 1000Ft. Out from under it....Drop 1000Ft. This went on the entire way and there wasn't much I could do about it. When I parked the plane and got it all tied down I noticed my stomach didn't feel too good. It went away after a few minutes though. Then I took a ride in a Block 40 F-16 once. The pilot bet me a case of beer that he could make me puke. He neither got me to puke nor pass out. Damn did he try though. It was a fun ride and I didn't have to eject. Which is somewhat unusual for a flight in an F-16. ;)
Even though I don't get air sick I do have trouble on some Sunday mornings though. When my throat is all rough feeling from drinking and smoking too much the night before. As the altitude gets higher my sinuses start to drain. This usually plays hell on my gag reflex!!!! I have come very close but always managed to keep from puking so far.

Hmm wonder what the best way to get away from puke would be? I'm thinking a stall and then puke between your legs would be most effective :D I've heard a story (can't remember if it was a tandem or not) and someone puked and spiraled to get away from it and spiraled right back into it :D..now the would be classic..lol
The only time i've felt sick in a plane was when i did work experience at a flight school and i was in the back of this cessna doing tough and go's for like an hour and a half!!!! :S Around and around and around...i had the sick bag out and all..i was damn close..lol And to top it all off some of the landings this dude did were lets say a little less then gentle :D lol

I've seen tandem passengers get so nervous that they would not eat. Then, if the weather did not permit them to go up immediately, their stomach would continue to churn. Lack of food and nervous stomach acid = puking under canopy. :P
My fav conversation: Tandem master with mal over head, "How did you like freefall ?" Student, "Great!" TM reaching for cutaway handle, "Well, here we go again". Student, "What???" :D