prepheckt

What do you think about under canopy?

Scenery is outstanding, but how much work or how long does it take to understand and know the fundamentals of your canopy and getting back to the DZ?

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

In my experience...ha..as long as it takes.First, I do check my altimeter, see what my current altitude is, then do a controlability check to see if I have to cut away. (Haven't yet, knock on wood.) ;) I do look around and enjoy the view, but I also keep aware of my airspace. Above, below (saw a plane fly under me on a sunset tracking dive) and both sides. find the dz, check wind indicators, try to "see" landing pattern in my mind and adjust with winds as best as I can. I do play around( Spirals, S-turns, practice flares, stall point, mess with front risers) I'm still working at it.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

While under canopy, it's best not to try to ponder the mysteries of your universe. The skydive isn't complete/safe until you're back in the packing area. Remember all of the things you've learned about canopy flying, and have a plan for any new things you may be trying. I usually try to find my line to the ground and see how well I can follow it, giving allowances for other canopies. As I learn to carve and surf the last bit, visualizing the set up in advance have been very helpful. It's like dirt diving my landing in my mind, the moment my canopy opens.

What do I think about... I keep on checking altitude, airspace, spot. And after that; altitude, airspace, spot. This continues 'till I'm safely landed. If there is failure in some of those three, you might be in trouble...

"You can call me Mike"

If I am up high, alone I am scanning for aircraft and enjoying the scenery keeping an eye on the dz and other canopies.

I practice maneuvers and balance during those maneuvers trying to keep the canopy loaded at all times..

Sometimes I think of my son wishing he was with me to have fun too..

And I always think of how much I love to fly!!

Rhino

Since there is a lot of stray aircraft that likes to fly in the operation altitudes at my DZ, I *constantly* have an eye out for oddball aircraft and look 360 degrees up and down and 360 degrees left and right. I usually also check out my risers and have a healthy respect for that little white loop that keeps my main locked on. ;)

I usually then stare down at the roads and watch the cars going to and fro slowly down the highway, or people camping out down by the river, they're probably staring up and looking at the dot in the sky which is me.

When I get down to 800 I think about where exactly I want to land and how I want to flare the canopy. Do I want to ground surf by the buildings and kick up some dust with my feet or do I want to try for the peas, etc.

I love canopy flight. It's the best part of the jump.

mmm- lets se---- Quatum mechanics, cold fusion, supply-side economics- No wait, that's what I think about while having sex----
Under canopy? I like seeing my shadow fly across the ground- wish I could get a picture of it some day- The Pink Floyd tune "learning to fly" almost always is going through my head- And how accurately I can land-as long as no-one is standing on the target!

Easy Does It

Airspace checks, following the pattern, merging in the pattern, try to get that bottom end to cell bump with newer jumpers, docking/yanking on experienced CRW jumpers pilot chutes with I know we both have knifes and are ready, breaking our side by side flying at 2000, setup the pattern for a hook with the most options, clear airspace, recheck air space, look at the gound of loss of outs again.... hook.... reverse hook, plane out... swoop.... drag a foot, finish the flare, stand up, collapse canopy, ball up the canopy while looking for people that could hit me, exit landing area.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Honestly? I spend a few seconds being thankful it opened (I somehow never expect it to) I check for other canopies, struggle to get my slider over my risers and stow it using it's finnicky velcro stow set-up, move myself back in the legstraps to a comfortable position, and start to play.

--
ZZZzzzz....

*deploy*

Oh, thank God! It worked!

*looking around for other canopies*
*controllability check*

OK, there's the DZ....

Dum de doo...la la la....

*checking alti*
*spirals*
*checking alti*

Crap, didn't lose any altitude....