FallRate

Cummings Ads!?

Ok, I may be alone here, but I have noticed in the past that the ads for Cummings Rigging Works in Parachutist tend to be a little pompous. But the second running of the World Trade Center picture in this months issue, reminding us all that Mr. Cummings is one of only a few who have been granted permission to jump into the heart of NYC, is just irritating! The message of "remember 9/11" isn't so bad, even if does show a picture of Mr. Cummings under canopy near the Twin Towers. But the fact that it has been run a second time and the fact that the apparent purpose is not so much to honor the memories of 9/11 as it is to honor Mr. Cummings just makes me queasy. Anyone else get the same feeling from it?

I should probably point out that I have no idea if Mr. Cummings has anything at all to do with the ads that are placed for Cummings Rigging Works. So my opinion of the ad is not necessarily an opinion of Mr. Cummings himself.

FallRate

As someone who spent 8 days at the WTC as part of a search & rescue effort, it personally pisses me off that someone might have capitalized on such an event and would submit a fake picture to do so. If you look closely at the picture you will see the shadow off of tower 2 fallings across building 5 to the northeast indicating that the sun was in the southwest, but if you look at the shadow on the flag from the canopy it would indicate the sun was slightly to the east. Both can't be true at the same time !!! If the ad would not have had the two insert ads at the bottom I feel that that would have been a respectful tribute. It would have even been acceptable to put just the name at the bottom to show who it was from. But defiantly not a person’s bio. I would hope that the intent of the ad was not how it was perceived.

WARNING THIS IS SARCASTIC.

We should all get our reserves repacked by Ed because he would'nt dare to put a sloppy repack in a fellow americans container. After all he just bleeds red blue and white. He personally sees that every American's re-pack is functionally perfect and cosmetically clean and only packed to the tune of patriotic music (the star spangled banner, the army song, the marine song and Born in the USA).
He is so damn patriotic I feel like a fucking communist.
I should have served 10 more years in the military..dammit

I'll go hang myself right now.

Aggie dave can have my Reflex with the PD 176R
and Wane can have my Vector 3, but only if you send them to Ed Cummings to get re-packed.

;)
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

What shadow on the flag? ;) Some times when you transfer a color photo to black and white some of the colors take on new meanings. Like in the black and white it looks like the front of the canopy is in dark shadow, but you can tell in the color that its actually a 2 tone canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

So, someone photoshopped it? That aint kosher.

Um... photoshopping pictures for print ads isn't just normal, it's expected.

Aparently he photoshopped it to show his logo on the canopy more clearly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with some retouching on legitimate news pieces, NEVER MIND ADVERTISEMENTS.

If you want REALLY bad taste, I was walking into a convenience store at a gas station, and there was a poster showing a very stylised firefighter riding a fire engine through manhattan, super imposed over a US flag. The caption? "Marlboro".

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I agree with you. We are all worthless shit as we have not been allowed to jump into NY City. Mr. C is a rigger a patriot and a scholar. The add proves it. On a less sarcastic note I believe it proves not much more, though by leading this discussion, involuntarily we are providing him with more publicity. Hail Mr. C. we about to jump salute you.
PS. After you committ suicide, may I have your Pro Trac;)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

it personally pisses me off that someone might have capitalized on such an event and would submit a fake picture to do so.

I'm a photoshop professional having spent 10 years using this and similar software for photo retouching. I see no indications that this photograph is anything other than genuine. The shadow story might seem compelling, but I don't see the evidence the same way.

That being said, I still don't see a compelling advertising motive here. While Mr. Cummings might be justifiably proud of the photograph, I think he's stepped in something smelly. Nobody can look good when they associate themselves with the trade center. Mr. Cummings should have the photograph enlarged and framed on his wall and come up with another advertising campaign that doesn't make the public grimace in guilty confusion.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

You guys do realize this is the same person that sells Cypres at cost since he'd like to see everyone be able to afford one right?

Look at the timing of the advertisement... you are looking at it right around September 11th. Thats a hard time to have an Ad targeted for since its at the end of the September issue's viewing time and just before the October issues. Depending on the magizine they print date might be up to the 9th and mailing dates the day after. That would place the magizine in some peoples hands the 11th the rest a week or less after.

Besides... if you want to complain... write Parachutist and the USPA.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

we're just poking fun I'm sure there are worse people;).

besides there is also George Galloway marketing building escape base canopies to wuffos within weeks after 9/11... not to kick a dead horse or anything. This is the same guy that has a recall on his raven reserves that they refuse to call a "recall" however once it is due for a repack you are not allowed to jump it untill you pay them to fix it they won't do it for free..but hey it is not a recall just a mandatory stop usage until you get a modification.
:D:D:D:D
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Now ,now, it's all fun and games. If you make yourself public you should expect the public to have a bit fun with you.;). I have noticed that this forum tends to get awfully serious once you ahve a bit of morning fun with someone's friend:S C'mon, lets keep it light;)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

it personally pisses me off that someone might have capitalized on such an event and would submit a fake picture to do so.

I'm a photoshop professional having spent 10 years using this and similar software for photo retouching. I see no indications that this photograph is anything other than genuine. The shadow story might seem compelling, but I don't see the evidence the same way.

In the Post "Whats wrong with this picture" your opinion was that the photo of the C5 was touched when in fact it was the real thing, this leaves your "professional" credibilty lacking

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

You guys do realize this is the same person that sells Cypres at cost since he'd like to see everyone be able to afford one right?

you realize that he is NOT the only one that does that...right? it's amazing the strides one will go to for self promotion. does Mr. Cummings manufacture anything that is his own design, or does he simply rebuild "used" equipment" and put the gigantic "CUMMINGS" logo on it?
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

you realize that he is NOT the only one that does that...right? it's amazing the strides one will go to for self promotion. does Mr. Cummings manufacture anything that is his own design, or does he simply rebuild "used" equipment" and put the gigantic "CUMMINGS" logo on it?

What's the issue with that, advertising is not a bad thing, you act like it's unethical or something.

Not that I would buy a thing from him, I'm not fond of the way he does business, but to his credit, he did get to jump into NYC and is one of the few to have done that, if he wants to put his business name on his canopy, what's the big deal?

I second Phreezone comment. I think Cummings may have made a bad decision in using that ad, but talking to him on the phone he seems like a great person. I just bought a cypress from him and he sent it 3 day air for no cost. Let alone he seems to have the cheapest price for them.
Kirk

This is not directed at anyone in particular. But I seem to remember a thread with a KMart add that had the picture of the NYC skyline without the towers but the reflection in the water had them drawn back in. Many people on this forum said that it was very cool. Now, Ed uses a picture with the American flag over the WTC and the phrase "Never forget" and he gets jumped. I don't see the difference. I happen to think Ed's add is completely acceptable and not in bad taiste. I seem to be in the minority on this issue.

His comment about being one of a few people authorized by the FAA to jump into downtown NYC shows that the FAA found him trustworthy and professional to conduct a high risk demo. That would speak to his ability to perform rigging duties professionally. I don't know Ed. I've never bought anything from him. But I don't think his add is so far out as to deserve the lashing that he has received in this thread.

My .02

Chris Schindler

I've been seeing CRW ads for many years in Parachutist and such, I've never talked with the man
or purchased anything from him. I just don't find the ad offensive . What really is buggin me today is that it is absolutely beutiful outside and I'm stuck in my office working instead of at the dz jumpin . I guess if I had a succesful business like ED I could probably be at the dz whenever I felt like it.:S

Ya'll be cool , Jay