aeroflyer

Hip Rings Webbing Rubbing - Wings

The webbing on my hip rings is rubbing together and getting fuzzy. I mean, where the webbing from the leg straps, laterals, and MLW come together at the ring. This is the second time I've dealt with this on a wings container. Any idea how to mitigate it or put some sacrificial material in there to reduce the problem? I try not to walk in the harness but its almost impossible to prevent.

Since I can't edit from my phone, I'll add that frankly the wings hip rings are an inferior design, unlike vectors where the leg strap webbing is separate from the other webbing loops at the hip ring. I think its time for wings to wake up and switch to the D ring hip ring design. Other than selling my rig, I'm not sure there's anything I can do. >:(>:(

Why is it an inferior design? I've wear a few rigs, all of them with the "D ring" (student vortex II and omegas, and play around, without jumping, with Teardrops and Advances), and the most comfortable for me happens to be a wings (non-student). The placement of the ring right at the hip (as opposed to a little bit lower like in the other rigs that I've mentioned) makes it pretty comfortable in my opinion (and the fact that the leg strap is moving with your leg as a single piece, as opposed to have two attachment points to the ring).

Might be something to do with the way these rigs sit on you personally. Mine happens to be sitting right next to me so I took a look. Not one strand out of place and I've never seen anyone with that problem. Not to say that it doesn't happen, just that I haven't heard any of the Wings owners that I know talking about it.

Try a different rig. Getting something custom made for you really makes a difference.

aeroflyer

Since I can't edit from my phone, I'll add that frankly the wings hip rings are an inferior design, unlike vectors where the leg strap webbing is separate from the other webbing loops at the hip ring. I think its time for wings to wake up and switch to the D ring hip ring design. Other than selling my rig, I'm not sure there's anything I can do. >:(>:(

It was about four years - after Rigging Innovations built the first harnesses with hip rings - before we saw any fraying on the webbing. That particular Flexon harness had been jumped hard - Air Speed hard - in the Arizona desert for three or four years before it showed enough wear to worry about.

The it was simple matter to replace the leg straps.

If you really worry about, then ask your rigger to install some conflueence wraps similar to Sidewinder leg-straps. Those confulence wraps shoudl be easy to hand-sew around the top ends of the leg-straps, where they wrap around the hip rings.

I noticed my legstraps had got a bit fuzzy at the rings after about 100 jumps. I took a look and noticed there were some hot-knife cut material that had got a tiny, sharp edge on it. We removed that and they stopped becoming more fuzzy.

Never had a problem with mine. 9 yrs/1000 jumps. Care to post a picture? Is the rig new or used? I have a hard time believing any rig would show any kind of fraying from 180 jumps in 4 years.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Might be something to do with the way these rigs sit on you personally. Mine happens to be sitting right next to me so I took a look. Not one strand out of place and I've never seen anyone with that problem. Not to say that it doesn't happen, just that I haven't heard any of the Wings owners that I know talking about it.

Try a different rig. Getting something custom made for you really makes a difference.

Unfortunately it is custom. Its not uncomfortable, just undurable. I would give up comfort for durability, actually.

It was about four years - after Rigging Innovations built the first harnesses with hip rings - before we saw any fraying on the webbing. That particular Flexon harness had been jumped hard - Air Speed hard - in the Arizona desert for three or four years before it showed enough wear to worry about.

The it was simple matter to replace the leg straps.

If you really worry about, then ask your rigger to install some conflueence wraps similar to Sidewinder leg-straps. Those confulence wraps shoudl be easy to hand-sew around the top ends of the leg-straps, where they wrap around the hip rings.

Hi Rob, thanks for the advice. I will ask the local rigger to do this. Do you mean the sidewinder container made in Canada?

I hear everyone saying it'll be fine for 1000's of jumps, but in this case, it's not. Guaranteed in 100 jumps it will be twice as bad. Maybe it's just how it fits me but I'll try and get a picture.

I noticed my legstraps had got a bit fuzzy at the rings after about 100 jumps. I took a look and noticed there were some hot-knife cut material that had got a tiny, sharp edge on it. We removed that and they stopped becoming more fuzzy.

Hmm. I will take a look at the hip ring stitching to see if there's any sharp points. This might be causing it. I have also thought it could be rubbing on my tracking pants.

Never had a problem with mine. 9 yrs/1000 jumps. Care to post a picture? Is the rig new or used? I have a hard time believing any rig would show any kind of fraying from 180 jumps in 4 years.

New, DOM Oct 2011, about 80 jumps on it, only.

If I come across a good deal, I will sell it in an instant and get a V3. The other thing I have noticed is the wings toggles really shread your brake line loops.. they are very abrasive.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really just want to find a practical solution.. I'm going to try Rob's idea. I hear everyone giving rave reviews for Wings.. I like mine but some things like this are really annoying. Maybe it's just my harness design. I have heard other cases of leg straps needing replacement from too much walking (+ rubbing at the rings), I have been very careful not to let it rub while walking.

aeroflyer

If I come across a good deal, I will sell it in an instant and get a V3.

Sorry to hear about your rig, but I found this part amusing. If you sell your Wings in an instant and order a Vector3, what are you going to jump for the 10 months in between? ;) Their wait time, not including shipping, is a shocking 40 weeks and they don't have stock rigs.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Sorry to hear about your rig, but I found this part amusing. If you sell your Wings in an instant and order a Vector3, what are you going to jump for the 10 months in between? Their wait time, not including shipping, is a shocking 40 weeks and they don't have stock rigs.

Used please!