narcimund

Insurance

You are responsible for you.

I knew I liked you, Brian :)

Several people have mentioned requiring insurance for jumpers. I think that's silly. However, I have no problem with hospitals refusing to treat anyone who can't pay. It's a private business and they sell their service.

If only more people knew they were responsible for themselves and stopped thinking their care and feeding was on everyone else's shoulders.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Either way, I can't see how they could rule a skydiving accident as suicide unless it was determined to be that by whoever investigates it.

here's the way it was explained to me by my agent:

"if you know there is a good chance that you could die during a sky diving operation(s) or a sky dive, then you knowingly, and intentionally assume the risks, and liabilities" everyone, read the "fine print" in your policies, i was under the same impression, and i can afford the best of insurances, but there are intentional "grey areas" in the policies them selves...might want to check it out. i've seen contracts before and an insurance policy is just that, a contract, that has taken my legal team a week to figure out.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I fully agree. We can not live our skydiving lives according to the corporate"dog eat dog and I'll cover my ass, fuck you very much" model. Stories of "buy you a beer but generally fuck you" scare me. That is the reason why I left corporate America. According to this attitude if our illustrous friend carves into the ground, I'll just call an ambulance and have a beer thinking "Buddy you are on your own"
Sorry, but I don't think I want to jump with the dude. Skydivers should help each other. Maybe I am naive, but I hope most of you think the way I do. I am not a religious person at all but I think this applies to skydiving: "What you do to the smallest of my brothers you are doing to me"
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I just did some looking around for rates and you can get bc/bs coverage with no sports lilitations for $150.00 a month for a for a man . About $20.00 a month for a woman . Age gruop was 35-40 . Not to shabby .

I am insured through Blue Cross. I had a somewhat more comprehensive Blue Shield policy before for $100/month. I fgure that if I go even a few years without getting hurt, I'll end up way, way ahead by not getting expensive coverage. If I actually ever went to the doctor, it might be worth it, but in the last decade, I've had a couple of physicals and nothing else whatsoever. I'm sure my attitude will change as I age. For now, though, catastrophic coverage is the sensible option.

Let me elaborate my position....

If you get hurt while I'm around, I'll be right at your side rendering the best care I can give. I'll splint what's broken, stop what's bleeding, or (God forbid) do CPR all the way to a hospital.

I do not have the resources to pay the medical bills for anyone who gets hurt. I will, however, drive you to the doctor, cook you dinner, or run to Blockbuster for you.

I do not believe in

cover my ass, fuck you very much

but I do believe in individual responsibility.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

i've read mosts of these posts, and i hope that you people are speaking from what you know, and not what you "assume" read your policies carefully. my insurance dropped me when i started sky diving, and the insurance i have now will not cover a sky diving related injury.

I agree. I have one of those group jobbers through my employer (PPO type) and I checked to make sure I was covered. I even kept the emails.

even if i get killed sky diving, my life insurance won't pay off, they claim that would be considered "suicide" serious business.

IMHO- that is a sleezy corporate cop-out. How is skydiving suicide? Did you pull your main and have a mal? Did your AAD misfire? Did someone cork under you? Those are one thing, but tracking a delta into the packing tent could probably be argued as suicide.

Over the weekend I unfortunately heard a DZO asking for donations for the hospital bill for a guy that seriously hooked himself in. That's a speach, and a plead, I would rather never hear again.

I've jumped 5 times without insurance while I was in between jobs, but one can retroactively buy corba insurance in the US if you need it, so it wasn't like I was REALLY jumping without insurance.

When I was living in Canada and jumping in the US, I would buy US travel insurance to cover my jumping.

I would never jump without insurance.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

here's the way it was explained to me by my agent:

"if you know there is a good chance that you could die during a sky diving operation(s) or a sky dive, then you knowingly, and intentionally assume the risks, and liabilities"

Sorry- your agent is a weasel. I work with guys who go tear-assing down mountainbike trails with just a bike helmet and that's not suicide? How about driving down the connector in Atlanta going 80 during rush-hour? I left the office at 2pm one Friday to go to the DZ and I was afraid for my life.

Send him the fatality statistics and ask his opinion again.

I am just now getting the USPA ife insurance, then again I am getting married in May and have to start thinking about those left behind. Somebody please tell me when I grew up, I don't remember ever getting off the first ride.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle