hypoxic_fool

sabre 1 hard opening fix

Hi fool,

knows where i can obtain one

I recommend that you contact this guy; I am sure he can build you almost any type of slider that you might want.

Mark Lancaster
Skyworks Parachute Service
2222 Buffalo – West Springs HiWay
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428
[email protected]

I would suggest that you contact Mark & discuss what you want and he/you can work out what solution best fits.

JerryBaumchen

I have jumped Sabres for years. I love them for wingsuiting. If you have one that opens a bit too briskly, I suggest a pocket and I'm sure Rory can hook you up. If you are due for a reline, I suggest going coated HMA. The added friction of the lines will slow the slider ever so slightly for a much better opening. MEL (masterrigger1) or Pete (PeteS) can make you a line set. Have had great luck with those two options.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Is the opening harder when it stands you up or does it push you down into the harness afterward.

Larger slider will increase the first and reduce the second, smaller will do the opposite and give you the snivel-whack.

It's a trade off between the two.

I would check line trim first as spectra brake line can shrink over time and change the opening characteristics. I've had a saber since '93 on some line sets hard openings have been indicative of trim issues.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

teason

Is the opening harder when it stands you up or does it push you down into the harness afterward.

from what iv seen, there's very little snivel, and then a fast opening leaving my canopy with a boomerang shape for just a second or two. the canopy is slightly out of trim and could use a new line set sooner rather than later. im mainly going by this video iv seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLU9Umaz5g id love for my openings to look like that second one.. also i was not aware that the trim of your canopy had such a drastic affect on opening characteristics.

monkycndo

I have jumped Sabres for years. I love them for wingsuiting. If you have one that opens a bit too briskly, I suggest a pocket and I'm sure Rory can hook you up. If you are due for a reline, I suggest going coated HMA. The added friction of the lines will slow the slider ever so slightly for a much better opening. MEL (masterrigger1) or Pete (PeteS) can make you a line set. Have had great luck with those two options.

thanks for the tips, i will keep them in mind. glad to know that not only newbies are jumping these things..

A thought just occurred, jumpers often change sliders to tweak openings. Sounds like you my befit from a larger slider but don't assume your current slider is a factory original. Talk to PD first to get the specs to make sure it wasn't replaced with a smaller one.

A slider that is too small will actually start to move down the lines with only center cell inflation. That allows premature cell inflation and the small area won't resist the wind. A slider is generally the size of the distance between the b and c lines by the width of the cell.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I second a slider from Mark and Skyworks. He makes a domed slider that works great and I can see the advantages of the same openings due to it replacing the existing slider and its not just an add on pocket that could/could not function the same way every time.

Definitely want to make sure any canopy is not to far out of trim for the best openings you can get.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

This issue has been discussed many times here. All of my Sabres have been great openers. Some people have had very bad experiences with Sabres. Packing is an issue. Line trim is an issue. The 170 is a notorious bad boy, possibly/not because it uses the same slider as a 107. I have a Sabre that I put a larger slider on to improve the openings, it opens even better with the original slider and......a new line set. Since you know it's out of trim I'd start with a new line set. Or, if you're feeling really brave, stretch the lines according to Brian Germain's method. I use it, others consider the technique to be dangerous. That's a separate issue. See how much fun this is?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

for any sabre 1 that hints at opening hard, I would get a dome slider from MEL right away. the way he explained to me a long time ago a pocket slider can 'stand on edge' and still open hard. a dome slider is balanced and more reliable.

RMURRAY

for any sabre 1 that hints at opening hard, I would get a dome slider from MEL right away. the way he explained to me a long time ago a pocket slider can 'stand on edge' and still open hard. a dome slider is balanced and more reliable.

thanks, im going to contact him imidiately

I've got around 40 jumps on a Sabre 1 (Yes, I understand that this is REALLY not a lot) But I have not had a single hard opening. Perhaps it's the canopy, but it can also be the packing method.

When I pack my sabre I make sure I keep everything controlled and flat. After counting my cells I take the first 3 cells from one side, roll them up and put them in the 4th cell and do the same from the opposite side. Haven't had any problems with this method...

Try it out?
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

DcloudZ

I've got around 40 jumps on a Sabre 1 (Yes, I understand that this is REALLY not a lot) But I have not had a single hard opening. Perhaps it's the canopy, but it can also be the packing method.

When I pack my sabre I make sure I keep everything controlled and flat. After counting my cells I take the first 3 cells from one side, roll them up and put them in the 4th cell and do the same from the opposite side. Haven't had any problems with this method...

Try it out?

Another way of rolling the nose is to roll the upperskin inside each cell.
So that way you "remove" the overhang of the nose and therefore not inflating.
DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this on a skydivingcanopy. Only on a vented BASEcanopy.

If your lines are out of trim, the new slider is a maybe/maybe not solution, and possibly a maybe-not-for-long solution.

Consider buying another canopy. The slider will run you upwards of $100, and a new line set installed will run you into the $300/$350 range depending on which way you go. You'll be into it for more than it's worth, and out of pocket upwards of $400.

Sell it off cheap, like $200 or $300. Disclose that it does sometimes open hard like a Sabre does, and if someone needs a dirt cheap canopy, they can buy it and you're 'clean' as you told them the whole story. Maybe a rigger will grab it as a wingsuit or backup canopy, and they do the all the work to it for no cost.

Take that, and the money you would have spent to 'fix' it and buy something newer that doesn't have a reputation as a slammer.

davelepka

If your lines are out of trim, the new slider is a maybe/maybe not solution, and possibly a maybe-not-for-long solution.

Consider buying another canopy. The slider will run you upwards of $100, and a new line set installed will run you into the $300/$350 range depending on which way you go. You'll be into it for more than it's worth, and out of pocket upwards of $400.

Sell it off cheap, like $200 or $300. Disclose that it does sometimes open hard like a Sabre does, and if someone needs a dirt cheap canopy, they can buy it and you're 'clean' as you told them the whole story. Maybe a rigger will grab it as a wingsuit or backup canopy, and they do the all the work to it for no cost.

Take that, and the money you would have spent to 'fix' it and buy something newer that doesn't have a reputation as a slammer.

well, the plan was to jump it until im ready to downsize to a 150 then buy a new or slightly used sabre 2 150. i got the canopy for a case of dos equis.. and cannot justify selling it for any cash. id like to reline it when its completely nesscesary, then sell it for less than it cost to reline it once im done with it. i cannot currently justify asking any money for it and that would put me back at square one. i just find it hard to beleive that this canopies openings cannot be tamed. there has got to be a way, or so i hope.

You haven't mentioned how many jumps are on the current line set, you do say that you know that it is out of trim. A domed or pocketed slider will not give you a canopy that is in trim. There are a ton of old Sabres out there with original linesets that would be fine if relined, they sit unused because they open badly.

The canopy, if in good flying condition, is worth at most $600, investing $300 might not be a good plan. All canopies will eventually need lines replaced though and at some point every canopy will need to be retired. Your rigger should be able to help you make a decision.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

There's good advice here, Hypo, and certainly if the lines are good the oversize slider can help.

In my experience with S1s, packing is key and the Nova Pack (outside four into the center cell) is the best way to tame the openings. Just roll the shit out of the outer four and stuff them deep into the corresponding side of the center cell. Then wrap the tail and proceed as usual.

I was introduced to this method back in the day after having some really bad openings despite careful packing.- and it worked tremendously well. After adopting it I never had less than a comfortable opening with my Nova.

Please report back your findings and experiences.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

..before modifying try variations on the pack technique I used to jump a German canopy that was basically a copy of the Sabre, I resolved the hard opening problem by rolling the nose a bit tighter and more when packing, increased snivel time but made a big difference when opening,
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.