Amyr

Proper tip Question

I am selling my rig to someone that jumps at the drop zone I used to jump at. The rig is in excellent condition. But I understand why the person buying it wants it inspected by the DZ rigger. I told her I would pay for the inspection. I know the rigger will not charge for the inspection because they are just two of the friendliest people you ever want to meet. BUT I want to send something to help pay for their time. What is the proper amount to send. I was thinking 50 dollars but I do not want to come across as cheap. What do riggers usually charge for inspecting a rig that does not need a reserve repack?

Hold on to your seat here. But they do not drink!! TRUE STORY!!! I have over loaded them with their favorite coffee and such while I jumped there. I was wanting an amount I could send along with the rig. Because I will not be there in person.

Sometimes I've given people gift cards to something fun (movies, dinner, ice cream, etc) and that seems to go over really well. For some reason it is easier to accept a gift than it is cash. Give them a $50.00 gift card in a card where you thank them for their support of the skydiving community.

Well I got them gas cards. BUT I think the Victoria Secret's gift card would have been hilarious. Kind of wish I had thought of that. Would have been very funny. I would have loved to see their faces when the opened the card. Trying to keep a straight face as being thankful while they secretly thought WTF am i going to do with this. But as a female rigger I can see how getting that from a male skydiver would make it creepy. Still think its pretty darn funny idea.

skydiveaddict

I agree it would be funny....IF you know them well. My creepy client didn't know me at all, I had just met him. The gift card implied he wanted to though....:(

I would never buy one of those for my rigger, he's freakin ugly!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

demoknite

Why not just pay for a complete I&R so the person you are selling it to has a fresh reserve repack? Sort of like the seller paying the closing costs.

As a buyer, I would be MUCH more comfortable having the I&R done my a rigger (or factory) of MY choice (even at my expense)... I've seen to many pencil packs and "inspections" done by friends of the seller to aid the sale.

I've also walked away from sellers not willing to have the sale contingent upon the inspection report.

Just my $.02,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Amyr

I am selling my rig to someone that jumps at the drop zone I used to jump at. The rig is in excellent condition. But I understand why the person buying it wants it inspected by the DZ rigger. I told her I would pay for the inspection. I know the rigger will not charge for the inspection because they are just two of the friendliest people you ever want to meet. BUT I want to send something to help pay for their time. What is the proper amount to send. I was thinking 50 dollars but I do not want to come across as cheap. What do riggers usually charge for inspecting a rig that does not need a reserve repack?

kinda nice of you - my position is they can call my current rigger, or are absolutely welcome to get an inspection at their expense. Or, their rigger can talk to my rigger if they know each other, etc.....If I'm buying a used rig, I pay for the inspection, and I use my guy.

I would offer something else - "I advertised that it's in great shape, so your inspection is your choice. But if the inspection proves me wrong and it voids the sale, I'll reimburse the cost of the inspection. Or I'll pay to fix those items prior to you buying it."

Of course, now you have to trust the rigger friend of the buyer. It's pretty easy to claim there's a hole in the reserve pilot chute or something just to get another $50 or so off of the sale price.....

In this case, you are tipping someone that's doing a favor for someone else......(It might be different if you are using that person as a common friend that's also brokering the sale for you - I've done that before)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm going to add that sometimes a rigger just wants to "Make your day."

They, time permitting, want to feel needed and liked just because.

If you give them something, then this may be viewed as "cheepining" their gesture.

Many skydivers are in this because they get joy from their hobby and this could be one aspect of this. Many full time riggers aren't full time, except on the buzyist of days. And are just plain old glad to help!

They may in fact want only to see a big smile and a hearty "Thank You ."

C

Some thoughts to ponder....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I would have to dis-agree! Sure, riggers like to do favors and 'nice' things for their fellow skydivers but, a thorough inspection takes time and work. A rigger's time is worth something and gratuities are ALWAYS welcome. At least the 'offer' of a gratuity is welcome and respectful. Riggers are not always in it out of the goodness of their hearts. They worked hard for that certificate and to be taken for granted is kinda' like a slap in the face.
Just my thoughts.

Chuck