Maksimsf

Icarus "the Nano"

Hey guys, seems like Icarus got the name for their new low bulk reserve that called "Nano". I was wondering if anyone can convince me buying "Nano" over "Optimum"?

When it comes to life saving equipment.... I am not an early adopter.

For example the Raven Dash-M reserve issue of canopies made before 1999. It was not until 2001 that a problem was identified and an SB released.

I wait 3 years on an AAD, or reserve to be on the market before I buy one. After 3 years, and issues should have been discovered.

Things that are used on EVERY jump, like mains, I'll look at in a year.... Anyone remember the Nova? And iirc the original Safire? At any rate not all new skydiving toys are advancements.... And even when they are, they often take a year or so to change thinking so that they are safe... Such as when the CYPRES came out and people were having a bunch of two outs since they were still pulling at 2 with Stiletto's
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Maksimsf

Hey guys, seems like Icarus got the name for their new low bulk reserve that called "Nano". I was wondering if anyone can convince me buying "Nano" over "Optimum"?

Got a call from the good folks down at Chuting Star. They are getting some in in about a month. It is their new low bulk, answer to the Optimum... which I welcome. I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs. She said the sizes would corolate almost exactly with the Optimum sizes and the volume would be similar. If they are smart they will come in a little cheaper than the Optimum.

I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs.

The same counts for Icarus. Their reserve need to be re certified after 40 repacks as well. I don't know if they will keep this requirement for the Nano as well, but I will not be surprised if they do.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Deyan

I love my Optimum but am still kind of salty about PD's policy to require every reserve to be recertified at the factory after 40 packjobs.

The same counts for Icarus. Their reserve need to be re certified after 40 repacks as well. I don't know if they will keep this requirement for the Nano as well, but I will not be surprised if they do.
which would be, without an excessive use of the reserve 8 (once every 2 years, with the actual US repack cycle) , around 15 years after purchase... yeah, that's too feckin' restrictive :S:S:S
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have no problems with a recertification program but has PD or another manufacturer that requires recertification of there equipment after a given time provided details on the failure rate (or equipment that they will not recertify).

It would be interesting to see details to see how the gear is aging.

Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Now what I'm curious about, is to compare similar pack volume (since there's no "the same") reserves for airspeed with brakes stowed. Example: PR143, OP160, NANO160?, Speed 170?, all with a 200lb suspended weight ... what are their relative airpseeds? Which one will pound you in hardest unconscious? Which one will pound you in least hard?
Brian

voilsb

Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Now what I'm curious about, is to compare similar pack volume (since there's no "the same") reserves for airspeed with brakes stowed. Example: PR143, OP160, NANO160?, Speed 170?, all with a 200lb suspended weight ... what are their relative airpseeds? Which one will pound you in hardest unconscious? Which one will pound you in least hard?

Which one OPENS fastest (snivels least)?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm guessing a PDR 143 if I had to choose from that list. I think the others are made to open a little more reasonably. This is all coming from the guy who has exactly zero jumps on any of these canopies but I own two of them and am looking for a Nano.

shropshire

***Thanks! I couldn't get Icarus' website to load earlier.

Which one OPENS fastest (snivels least)?

cheers mate.

I'm in the market for a new or even 'new-2-me' reserve as my Swift is 25 years old next month!!

Currently I'd like an Optimum - but not sure .. need to make a purchase before my next repack.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome