flyhy

lost home

I found out that the dz where I did my AFF this year is now sold to another very commercial tandem company! The new owners changed everything and the old staff all handed in their notice and left. I'm going mental about that as it was a real cool place, staying in the hangar for free, having parties in the evenings, a life of sleeping, eating and skydiving! Unfortunately this place is on the other side of the world from where I usually live so I had to leave and haven't seen these people for 6 months now. Planned to go back in January... but now everybody's gone! They will even move out of the hangar and sell our cool old C185 to buy something bigger, they're so commercial. Our skydive place was some sort of commercial business too, but it was much more personal, like a little family.. And it is my home dropzone! My skydive home doesn't exist anymore... Just had to share as I'm really sad about that. Maybe somebody out there has got some nice words..?

:( bummer what can i say? my own home dz is kinda turbulent, half the really cool people here have had arguments witht the dzo and vanished....im a relative newbie myself here set foot on dz may 5 2002 with 0 jumps im now at 65 just starting to reaLLY feel at home here and there IS no dz anywhere near here except this one....if it closed or changed dramatically id be crushed, wind up moving down south somewhere in search of bluer skies and i dont want to DO that....i love the northeast we have real weather here! hope you find somewhere friendly to fly....
evolution WILL be served, one way or another!!!! im not jumping, im imitating a reluctant meteor.

I know how that feels, my home dz closed a while back and left me feeling kind of lost, seeing as it was the only place I ever jumped at. Fortunately, some of the staff went to another one (a little further away), and I followed. It took some time there to really feel ok with it. Lots of new people, landing area with obstacles (I wasn't used to that!!). But now I consider it my home dz.

I miss a lot of the people I knew from the first place. But I found out there are really cool people at every dropzone, you just have to hang out for a bit.

I also think it helps your skydiving to jump at new places with new people. You learn different things.

Hang in there, find a new dz and give it a fair chance. Good luck!!

:)