Viking

Today was a HUGE day for me!!!!!!

Today was just absolute badassness from start to finish!

Start the day off by getting up at 6:30 in the morning so i can get down to the dz by 8 so we start shooting for the calendar. Well due to some misunderstanding with emails the shoot was called off. No biggie i still got to hang out and enjoy the sunrise. So i am just hanging out and watching a movie when i notice a short asian chick in freefly pants getting out her car. I do a double take and say out loud "Thats Trina!!!" I dropped what i was doing and ran out to the parking lot and give her a big bear hug and pick her up off the ground. She was one the first people i made friends with when i first started coming down to otay. I would hang out over at the packing trailors and talk and bullshit. When i started my AFF and discovered my arching ability i promised her she could have my Hybrid Dive cherry. This thought came into mind and we decided to go ahead and do it today b/c we didn't know when we would be at the same dz again.

So we meat up at the packing area and i tell her about my packing predicament and she says that she will help me (she was a staff packer before she moved to Sac town) So anyway i go to manifest and make sure that its all coshure that trina is teaching me how to pack. Andy the S&TA says yes and i put myself on load 4 which was gonna be a 20 minute call. So i go and get my rental rig (a reflex with a PD210 in it) and take it over to the packing area. Well since we were on a 20 min call we decide that i would jump that packjob. Then i would pack it when i got on the ground under her supervision and then she would give andy the thumbs up if i did ok. Well that was the plan anyway.

We where waiting around for the plane to get back when we hear manifest telling load three to walk back IN. Apperently Jen the Pilot heard an odd noise when she tryed to start up the left side engine. It turned out to be the starter. So great the otter is busted, that means Cessna Loads, and that means its gonna be a while till we get up. So i suggest we unpack my rig and then pack it back up and i would jump my own pack job. So we start doing that. Just after we get the main out of the bag we hear that sound of a turbine starting up, a fraction of a second later we hear manifest say" Load 3 is now on a ten minute call"!!! SHIT!! So Trina says i will try to teach as much as i can but we have to get this thing packed and closed up. I agree and she packs and i watch, asking question every now and then. One thing we noticed is that there were line burns on the tail of the chute big enough to put my index finger through!!! It wasn't really bad but we would be telling Andy about it when i got down. She gets the rig closed up and ready to jump and i suit up and we go to the mockup to practice the exit.

What we did was i got in the back facing the prop and she got in the front facing me. She stuck her right foot out which i grabed. Give a count and after we exit i grab her other foot. Simple enough. So we get on the plane and after some exit order shuffle we are first out. 13k arrives and the green light shines. we get in the door and do as practiced. When we exit she comes forward and runs into me. We get stable and i look up and give a harty WHOOOHOOOO!!! She returns the yell. We stay linked for a few seconds and then i let go of her. She flips on her back but quickly get stable and into a sit. This is when i realize that i am falling stable and on level with someone in a sit without touching her!!! I would have loved to see my face it probly looked somthing like this :ph34r:. So we just stay realative and i think about trying to dock back on her legs but decide agaisnt it. She backs away and does a back flip. I wait for her to finish and then do the same. The cool part about this part of the dive is that we stayed together and didn't get seperated. We hang out for a while and then break and track at 5 grand. I get out of my track at about 4 grand and pull at 4700. I get in the sadle and look up to see the pd210.

I unstow the breaks and do a check. Wow this thing is MUCH more responsive than the Manta's!! At this point i am about 200 yards shy of the end of the runway. Ok no big deal i will just come straight in and a keep an eye out for traffic. But i couldn't keep myself from doing just one little spiral to see how this thing really turns. That was my mistake. I turned back towards the dz and thought "oh man am i gonna make it over that large hill with the car sized boulders on it? I thought about it for a few secs. 500 feet and i still have a ways to go WHOOOHOOO my first out landing!! :D I look down and there we are a nice dirt road with a border patrol guy down there too. So i turn north and start flying crosswind down this road. Then i see that nice rusty barb wire fence on the east side of the road! I tell the fence to back the fuck up;). So there i am 50 feet facing north west but due the wind i am traveling due north. For a split second it reminds me of a show i saw on the History channel showing a B-52 landing in a strong crosswind with it landing gear facing straight down the runway but the body of the plane was like 20 degree's off that heading. Then FLARE!! I stab for all i am worth and try to plf but i just hit feet, big hit on my left side and come to a halt on that side a couple feet from the fence. Damn that Ground is fucking hard!! I get up and check out the nice 5-6 long mark i left in the hard sun baked mud dust myself off. The Border Patrol guy comes over and asks if i need a lift but Buzz the DZO and Andy are already at the gate to the road with the Truck. I kinda chuckle and pick up the noticably smaller wad of fabric and walk over to the truck, get in the back and stuff my main between my legs and smuther it with my arms. The last thing i need is it getting into the wind stream and getting a taste of that of that grey glue they use on the reflectors.

I walk back to the packing area and there sitting on the Couch is Amy and Molly. I wave and smile and put my stuff down and model my jumpsuit as they havn't seen it yet. I also show them the nice rip i had just put into the right hip sectionB|. It takes a while but Trina gets back around to supervise my pack job. Her and Keith had gone out to look for me! Thanx Guys

So long story made short(LOL) I Got the bastard in the bag and closed the rig up. I dropped the rig off at the rental locker so they could inspect the wholes and patch them if need be. We find Andy in Manifest and trina raves at how neat my pack job (she was saying that all throughout the packing lesson) and Andy said great and signed me off!! He then went into his office and walked back out with a large stamp with the Letter A on it!!!!! B|B|B|B| Thats right folks i am now an A Licensed Skydiver Person, I have the road rash on my hip to proove it!!:D;)

Ok here a run down of the Firsts from today
First Hybrid Dive
First Pack Job
First time on the 210
First Off Landing
First Hole put my brand new jumpsuit
First Jello Shooter Consumed

Like i said general Badassness baby! even with a pretty brused hip i still love this sport and the people involved with it. All you guys kick ass That includes you Phil ;)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

WOW! That was like reading a book:)
Congratulations, that is soooo cool!

J

"Suppose you're in a hypothetical situation"
--Steve Wechsler

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

LOL when i can fit a partime job between my schoolin and taking care of grandma. This is going to be my last jump for a while. [:/]

Congrats on your "A" Arthur, and very nice write-up! B| I suspect that would be Trina Lee you're talking about. If you should see her again, please tell her that Greg (the zz top lookin guy) from Skydive Lake Tahoe says hi! Wouldn't happen to know which DZ she calls home these days, would you?

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Congrats on your "A" Arthur, and very nice write-up! B| I suspect that would be Trina Lee you're talking about. If you should see her again, please tell her that Greg (the zz top lookin guy) from Skydive Lake Tahoe says hi! Wouldn't happen to know which DZ she calls home these days, would you?

Thanx man and yes this is Trina Lee. As far as i know she is jumping at Davis California or what ever Drop Zone is Near Sacramento. Shes awsome ain't she.

I tell the fence to back the fuck up

Das right, Bro!! BACK THE FUCK UP!! SURFS UP BIOTCH!!

Great story Viking. I can't wait to jump with you now that you're legal :ph34r:

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Yeah, Trina is way cool. Haven't seen her in almost a year. She went to Burning man in the King Air last year with the SLT crew, and I missed it cause I wasn't licensed yet! :(

Actually, I spoke with Ken this year as he was heading out the door to Burning man and was invited...he even had a spare rig that I had jumped before. Unfortunately, too little notice, so I couldn't make it.

Next year though, I'll be a jumpin fool at the big party in the desert!!! B| Congrats again dude!

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Congrats to you, Viking! Took you long enough! :P Hugs! I am tickled for you!

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

no shit huh! I had a tandem permagrin the rest of the night. me and you have to get a jump in sometime!! Maybe a threeway with the bytchB|

ya i am legal and my hybrid cherry has been popped so feel free to take advantage of me. Just don't fling me across the sky!!

:)CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your "A" license and welcome to the family.I hope you learned ALOT from that rather hairy landing,that could have been nasty.
I went through student status at Otay when it was the old Parachutes over San Diego back in 1994 and jumped with Buzz when he was at Brownfield.I had the pleasure to get out there earlier this year and jump at Otay again,Buzz is really improving the DZ from what it was.
Congratulations once again ,play safely and have fun!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Ya it was a learning experience Thats pretty cool man i don't meet very many people that know the history of Otay and Brown Field. Once you leg heals up we gotta get a couple jump in.

Congrats on the A, dude....it's been a long time coming !

And sorry, but you owe even more beer for that "700-foot float"......

We hang out for a while and then break and track at 5 grand. I get out of my track at about 4 grand and pull at 4700.

You must be good....I know guys with thousands of jumps who can't do that.....;)

Don

We hang out for a while and then break and track at 5 grand. I get out of my track at about 4 grand and pull at 4700.

You must be good....I know guys with thousands of jumps who can't do that.....

I think he meant 3,700. Either that or when went back to an arch after tracking he shot 700 feet upwards. That could be fun. You could stay up there all day!:ph34r:

Congrats Viking! Sounds like you had a great weekend! Did you, you know?;)

I think he meant 3,700. Either that or when went back to an arch after tracking he shot 700 feet upwards. That could be fun. You could stay up there all day!

those would be some awesome thermals! I would pay extra to get lifted back up like that
My photos

My Videos

Congrats on the A, dude....it's been a long time coming !

And sorry, but you owe even more beer for that "700-foot float"......

You must be good....I know guys with thousands of jumps who can't do that.....;)

Don

I learned how to de-arch what can i say.:$:P