pertierr

Javelin J4 sizing question

Hi all,

I've recently started jumping again after a long hiatus, and after getting my reserve repacked I noticed something interesting, haven't found an answer with search perhaps someone can clear it up. Apologies if it's a stupid question, but with all this (good) talk about reserve extraction forces, I figured I would re-evaluate my setup.

My rig is a Javelin J4 manufactured in 2001 which I bought used around 2005. It has a 185 Safire main and I knew the reserve was a Dash-M, but I didn't remember the exact size...looking at the chart on the sunpath website I expected it to be a ~176. I'm assuming that the 'J4K' is the same size a 'J4' which might be an incorrect assumption.

However, after the repack and asking the rigger as it turns out it's actually a 218. This is great, i'm currently 185 out the door so it's loaded at under <1.0 which is what I want, specially right now. I asked if it was really tight in there and the rigger said no, it was a pretty easy. The pack job looks perfect from the outside(not overstuffed, etc).

Do I just have a freakishly large reserve container or am I missing something else? I was considering updating the reserve to a PD Optimum but now i'm not so sure what I would put in.

And yes, I vaguely remember going through the same confusion when I first bought the container, but I don't remember actually reaching a conclusion other than the reserve was big enough and loaded lightly.

Thanks!

You can find the sizing chart for your rig here:
http://sunpath.com/old/web_en/index.php?menu_level1=3&menu_level2=5

It lists the reserve size as from 176 to Raven II. A Dash M is a Raven. Raven IIs are 218 sq. ft. Although they stopped numbering them like that when they started calling them -M.

According to the same chart you are good for a ZP main up to 190. In other words your rig is within the manufacturer's recommendations. And you are within the safe wing loading for your reserve.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.