Maksimsf

Sabre2\Safire2\Pilot\Fusion\Magelan what would you buy now with current prices

Just curious what would you buy if you would be on the market for this class of canopy. I'm not on the market yet, I'm just curious what cool peeps @ DZ.com think? If I would be on the market now, I would buy one of the canopies listed based on my research :) In this list I only jumped Fusion once, never jumped any other canopies, but do have a lot of feedback on every canopy in this list including Magelan. I do understand that peoples will most likely vote for a canopy they currently jump, but lets say you chop it, lost it and have to buy another one, what would you get?

I just bought a new Pilot a few days ago. Waiting for production, should be ready by August. I don't get to demo here, so I just listened to a ton of opinions and reviews.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Personally I went for the pilot. I had the opportunity to demo a sa2 against my previous pilot on a training camp (alternating between rigs on back to backs). I wanted to try a saf2 too but wasnt able to get hold of a demo and a good priced second hand pilot came on the market.

Personally I prefered the flight characteristics of the pilot to the Sabre 2. I haven't had a chance to demo the magellan but I'm a bit wary of spending that sort of cash on a canopy that I've barely heard of and don't know how it'll last.

Demo! If PD's at the American Boogie this year, you can try the Sabre 2, Storm, and Pulse (all would be appropriate canopies at your experience level). See what you like. I'm pretty sure there's some Pilots in the Action Air rental fleet (though I'm not sure of the sizes). Or. when you are ready for 210s, let me know and I'll let you borrow one of my Pulses.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm on my second Fusion now. I've also test jumped Sabre2 and Safire2 a few times

My first Fusion was a little weird but I had to work like hell to pack it into my container, which is aggressive for my current 190, let alone the 210. Ask AggieDave or NWFlyer how funny it was to watch me pack that fucker at Eloy a few years back.

After about 50 jumps with it I had a brisk opening that broke a brake line, which I repaired and then a few jumps later had an absolute bitchslap of a slammer which tore open a few cells, snapped a couple of HMA main lines and tore a few attachment points off of the canopy itself.

I sent it off to PA to get it looked at and ended up buying a 190 since I was ready for a downsize anyway. It's been much more predictable, which again could be because it's the size I had the container built for in the first place.

If I ever downsize again (not being an HP canopy sort and not wanting to have wildly disparate reserve vs main sizes, I don't know if I will) I'd reflexively say that I'd probably grab another Fusion just because I'm thrilled with the glide ratio, it's got enough performance to make me grin (or did last time I jumped, when I was 40lbs heavier… yar…), and I've been very happy with Precision's customer service. But on the other hand, I'd test fly everything I can get my hands on, too :)
cavete terrae.