humanflite

crimping reserve cable end?

Bit of a strange one guys as I need to put some kind of a lock on the end of a pull through cable for a car project I am working on.
It currently has a lead ball on the end of it to stop it pulling through the end stop. But I need to shorten the cable and recrimp it. I was hoping some advice from riggers about how reserve cable ends are crimped to stop them pulling through the reserve handle. The cable I am working with is not quite as beefy as a reserve cable, but I am hoping to use the same approach if I can do it pretty cheaply!! thanks

The tool I see used most frequently is a hand swager by Loos & co. I'm not sure of the price, but its probably a bit more than you want to spend if you're only doing 1 cable.

If it's a smaller diameter cable, you might check with your local bike shop, they have tools for manufacturing shifter and brake cables with swaged ends.

http://loosnaples.com/swaging-machines/locoloc-m1-type-i-

Parachute ripcords ball ends are crimped with multiple blows from a 10 ton press. They are tested with 300 pound force applied for 3 seconds, No movement is allowed. This process produces a joint which is rated at 80% of the cable strength of 920 pounds. We routinely get 100% of cable strength.

Might I suggest a Ball and Shank termination? Most aircraft repair shops have hand tooling which will do the job. They might even have some Ball Shank fittings in stock.
JS

Rather than buying a long armed swaging tool, you can go to a West Marine store. They sell cable in several sizes and they also swage fittings onto the cables, but may not have an "end' sleeve. Maybe go to Ace Hardware and get a cable - "end" - swage. I think they are aluminum. About $3 bucks. Then go to the West Marine and have them swage it on for you.