adamhildreth

Alti II Stuck Needle

Hi,

I tried to find an existing topic but couldn't.

My Alti II is getting stuck on the way to altitude - it's off by about 500ft to 1000ft before i 'knock it' and it pops straight up. I don't think it gets significantly stuck in FF, but I have nothing to compare it to apart from my audible.

Is there an easy fix or any tips?

First let me say that sending it back to Alti-2 for service is probably your best bet. They are good people and they provide excellent service.

Having said that it is pretty easy to open an Alti-II and clean the works with Naptha. Naptha doesn't leave a residue and that's a good thing when cleaning an altimeter. If you choose to do this I highly recommend that you find someone (probably a rigger) with a test chamber so you can exercise the device after cleaning it and compare it to a properly functioning unit.

Considering this is a piece of equipment that can directly impact your safety sending it to Alti-2 really is the best thing to do. Ask yourself this: How comfortable will you be with an altimeter you've serviced yourself? :)
http://forum.altimaster.com/content.php?155-RMA-Repairs

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Perhaps what he's trying to say is that any warranty will be voided and any damage to the unit during the attempted repair could be expensive to fix.

If that's what he's trying to say, he is correct.

Good thing I supplied the link to Alti-2's RMA process and suggested the unit be sent it in. B|

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

IanHarrop

Perhaps what he's trying to say is that any warranty will be voided and any damage to the unit during the attempted repair could be expensive to fix. If that's what he's trying to say, he is correct.

I once unscrewed the plastic lens on my Altimaster to replace it with a new, unscratched one. As the last of the threads came off the lens jumped sideways on me and sheared off the needle. I sent it in for a repair, but it was considered unrepairable. It was junk. Sure had a nice pretty lens, though. I had to buy a new altimeter.

So if you try this, proceed with caution, and be aware of the possible consequences. Trying to save a little money, can cost you a lot of money.

Attached: photo of said broken needle altimeter, and how it looked when returned by the factory.

As you're in the UK, you could try contacting these people:

Dodingtons Jewellers
28 High Street
Whitchurch
Shropshire SY13 1AU

Tel: 01948 662179

According to my CCI they're pretty reasonable and have someone who's qualified to service alti's. They'll even provide a service certificate as well.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

As you're in the UK, you could try contacting these people:

Dodingtons Jewellers
28 High Street
Whitchurch
Shropshire SY13 1AU

Tel: 01948 662179

According to my CCI they're pretty reasonable and have someone who's qualified to service alti's. They'll even provide a service certificate as well.

As he is in the UK and if he read the link I supplied he could go to Alti-2 UK office.

Per the link:

EUROPEAN REPAIR FACILITY
Alti-2 Europe Limited
15 Haskins Walk
Grange Farm
Kesgrave
Ipswich, Suffolk IP5 2BL
Great Britain
Phone: +442075588406
Email: [email protected]