chanti

Disregard of warnings/groundings

An interesting option that a DZO I knew once took was to demand a bond from a habitual low puller. If he pulled low then he had to forfit the bond and post another before he could jump again. It worked rather well at his DZ. The guy was well liked like your skygod. The DZO got to keep the bond when the guy smoked it down to 700ft at another DZ on a bet. Malfuntion and not enough alttitude to deal with it.
The problem is that this guy might take out an innocent in the process. If the S&TAs won't do anything about it maybe you should save yourself. I am familiar with the system in SA since I jumped down there a number of years ago. The DZ that I jumped at was directly responsible for 2 fatalities in less than a year. One of them after I had warned the DZO that he had a problem. I took my business elsewhere after that.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

I'm really kind of surprised at the replys I got from my statements. I thought I would get flamed by most over this...

To those of you who wonder why I don't just take my business elsewhere... There are two local DZs here. I was banned for life from one, my home DZ which got new owners who knew nothing about skydiving when they purchased the place. They banned me for bringing up a couple of safety concerns that I had brought to the attention of the UNPAID s&ta at the time. They also told the UNPAID s&ta to stay off their dropzone. John Desantis had a little chat with them about that and told them that if they ever threatened one of his s&tas again that they would lose their group insurance. But I still was not allowed back on the DZ and am not allowed to this day.

The other DZ is the only one I have left unless I win the lottery so I can afford two tanks of gas every time I want to go skydiving. And they just don't listen at all. So I opt to land out all the time now.

These swoopers even break the rules that the DZ has plastered all over the grounds and they still never get talked to much less grounded. Only rules they have is that in light and variable winds you land south to north. They end up landing down wind all the time. And the other rule is that the first person down sets the direction, BUT they can't set the direction down wind. They do it all the time.

I was almost killed by a board jumper who had no business being on a board. This was at 200 feet and he had no business in my air space. Only thing I can think of is he pulled WAY too high... I complained. No one talked to him. He stayed there a week and kept doing dumb things. I opted to make sure he wasn't on my plane when I manifested.

I have too many years in this sport to just give it up so I will continue to stay current but that's about it till I move somewhere that has a somewhat safer atmosphere.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Lo the Chanti. You are not the only skydiver from your DZ that has concerns about this DGIT (i like this acronym - thanx Andy)
I myself will remove myself from any load that this DGIT is on.
I just hope that we will not have to wait for a fatality before he learns or is banned from our DZ!

Post: "He sounds like a crater looking for coordinates. "
That is too funny! I am laughing out loud!

Really though, cut him away. Who cares about his ratings. If he is doing the things you say, you will encounter more probelms than benefits from him. If the S&TA or DZO won't get rid of him, leave. Find another DZ, yourself. Sooner or later either that guy will bounce, leave or your DZ will lose a large portion of it's business because of this jackass.

I promise all you DZOs this.... IF I am ever injured due to some jerk pulling a stunt like that and taking me out, I will sue your brains out for gross neglegence. You know that it is dangerous to allow this type of activity and yet you continue to do NOTHING about it.

Please don't stop by our DZ. *After* someone does something unsafe, I can have a chat with them, ground them, or ban them. But I can't do a damn thing to stop what they're doing *while* they're in the air. 24 years in sport and your response would be to sue someone that wasn't even on the load? :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)