Pandarism

New Project, Cutaway For A G3

Hi All,
Okay so I'm trying to make a cutaway system for a full face helmet (G3). I know that a cutaway for a full face is not 100% effective but its better then having a fastex clip under load and trying to find it when its cutting into your neck so on so forth.

So this is version 1 and I'm open to all thoughts and advice that anyone can come up with.

The materials I used were;

1x clevis pin
2x springs
1x washer
1x R clip
1x nylon coated cable
Assorted material, bits and pieces to make the handle.

Its a bit ironic because the clevis pin and spring stick out of the helmet by around 5-8mm but its the 1st version and its not a crazy snag point.

So the idea was were the female part of the fastex attaches to the helmet its just screwed through a couple of bits of material to anchor them and then into the side of the helmet.

I removed that screw and replaced it with a clevis pin that has a spring on the outside of the helmet and also a secondary spring on the inside of the helmet to create more tension followed by the material and finally the R clip with the nylon coated cable attached to that. It goes something like this.

Clevis pin>spring>helmet shell>spring>washer>two material anchor points>R Clip>leading to nylon cable and handle.

Pretty much pull the handle, it pulls the R clip which release the Clevis pin and the neck strap detaches which allows the cinching system to go loose and the helmet can be pulled off quite swiftly. The idea of the duel springs was outside spring pushes the clevis pin out whilst the inside spring pushes the anchor points off the clevis pin.

I tested it and the clevis pin ejected in a split second and shot about 2m across the room at a decent speed, whilst the chin strap fell to the side and I could remove the helmet.

The handle and cable routing is not yet ideal and I'm probably going to remake the handle so that the cable will route completely inside. Other then that I'm happy with Mk 1

Anyway If you wanna browse through the attached pics and see what you think and any and all of your input would be appreciated.

Thoughts, Advice, 0.02c all welcome :D

Panda..
Compromise, A Few Seconds Of Pain, For A Life Time Of Shiny :D

Why not have a flush (on the outside) pin with a hole that you could run a loop through that could attach to the chin strap through a grommet like how the loop captures the #3 ring on your riser? Cutaway cable would work just like your rig cutaway, and reduce the complexity of your system (keep it simple, and snag free).

Have you tested it under load? If a line gets entangled and there's a load on the chin strap how easy is it to release? Might be a good thing to check.

A long time a go I put together a similar thing and was surprised by the difference in its performance when I tested it under load.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I played around with that design. I didn't like the projection on the outside or the clip on the inside. Depending on how tight the helmet fits at your jaw, the location of the clip/pin could poke into your jaw if you get a good bump on your melon. If you do actually have to cut the helmet away, you will have to replace the pin/spring/etc.

I have been slowly working on a system that replaces the existing female chin clip and strap with one that has had the strap modified. The strap separates when you pull the cable release. As long as you don't drop the cable, all parts stay connected to the helmet. Been a bit busy at work so my time to improve my prototype has been limited.

Hopefully will soon have a pre-production prototype for some folks to try before I gear up and make them.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I recently saw an aftermarket cutaway system that I thought was simple and clever. Of course now I can't remember who made it but from what I remember, all of the snaggy parts were tucked away and it released one side of the chin strap. I'll ask around tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

I played around with that design. I didn't like the projection on the outside or the clip on the inside. Depending on how tight the helmet fits at your jaw, the location of the clip/pin could poke into your jaw if you get a good bump on your melon. If you do actually have to cut the helmet away, you will have to replace the pin/spring/etc.

I have been slowly working on a system that replaces the existing female chin clip and strap with one that has had the strap modified. The strap separates when you pull the cable release. As long as you don't drop the cable, all parts stay connected to the helmet. Been a bit busy at work so my time to improve my prototype has been limited.

Hopefully will soon have a pre-production prototype for some folks to try before I gear up and make them.