imfromwales

Gear Insurance

Can anyone suggest any insurers that cover parachutes? I used to have Harrison Beaumont cover, but would like to compare several providers if possible.

I dont have any house insurance as im travelling around Australia for the foreseeable future, and I have my parachute with me, so wouldnt be able to use any home insurance companies. I am also a UK citizen so not sure if that would make a difference go companies.

negative as far as I am aware, other than the liability insurance that comes with your membership.

That said get insurance advice directly from the APF or USPA or someone suitably qualified, not an online SD forum :P

Dave
USPA D31759, APF E2809

You may already have it.

Most homeowners and renters insurance has a provision for personal property that is "off premiss". This covers pretty much anything you own that is lost/stolen etc. outside of your house. It is subject to your deductible, but you can work around that.

I actually just changed my homeowners insurance and increased my personal property off premiss coverage, and had my deductible lowered from 1000 to 500. I now have enough to cover all my gear if the dz burns down with my gear in the locker...recover a chopped camera helmet/canopy, or cover the difference if teh airline loses my rig (they usually only pay about 500 tops for lost luggage).

You may already have it.

Most homeowners and renters insurance has a provision for personal property that is "off premiss". This covers pretty much anything you own that is lost/stolen etc. outside of your house. It is subject to your deductible, but you can work around that.

I actually just changed my homeowners insurance and increased my personal property off premiss coverage, and had my deductible lowered from 1000 to 500. I now have enough to cover all my gear if the dz burns down with my gear in the locker...recover a chopped camera helmet/canopy, or cover the difference if teh airline loses my rig (they usually only pay about 500 tops for lost luggage).

this. I increased my renter's insurance to cover the replacement cost (as requested by liberty mutual) of all my equipment.

Talk to you agent to make sure you understand (and they understand) the situation.

For me, my homeowners had 10% of my "personal property" covered off site. So I ended up bumping my overall property coverage up to make sure the 10% would cover my gear.

I'm sure other policies are different.

Thanks a lot strife, it seems pretty reasonably priced also. definatley something ill look into. I may or may not be going jumping in the states so possibly wont need worldwide cover, although the insurance group that the APF uses may have an option for worldwide cover...

Zlew, I have said two times, I dont own or rent a house, home insurance is out of the question...

You may already have it.

Note two things

1. By default most policies cover the depreciated value, not the replacement cost. Hypothetically you could receive $2500 - your $500 deductible = $2000 to replace a 10 year old rig. Replacement value coverage is often available for an insignificant price increase.

2. Off-premise coverage can be a fraction of a total; IIRC my last policy was 10%. You might need extra total coverage (60,000 of contents coverage for $6,000 in gear not at home) to get there which doesn't cost too much.

Sooo... the OP pointed out that I made the mistake of failing basic reading comprehension (maybe reading completion?), and didn't note that he was specifically asking about insurance without using homeowners/renters. Sorry OP!

Still think there is good info for people out there who might not know about insurance they already have, or maybe a good reason to get something like renters insurance if you don't have it.

I will check to see if mine is replacement or depreciated cost.

Thanks!

Z

separate from OP.

One of the chaps at the DZ had his gear ripped off from his car in his , he thought he wasnt initially covered by his home insurance but turns out his policy covered it as his car was in the drive way.

Bonus turns out it was also new for old policy. So worked out ok in the end.