NtheSeaOrSky

I wanna kite

Big Air Sportz makes some of those performace kites that are like minature canopies (aka what Hooknswoop jumps) that are fun to fly around. We have one at the DZ (not from Brian, unforunately) that we play with when the winds are too bad to jump.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

those things are pretty cool!! ... watched a couple of folks playing with them at Lost Prairie several times ... one afternoon was windy enough that they were being dragged across the landing area by them ... LOL
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Do a google search for high performance kites. Note, your wingloading will be very high, so please try and jump one...just as long as there is video and someone posts it here...:P

Ok,
Dave,
I got the doc to believe I fractured a tibia and a fibula when I 'jumped off a step and twisted my foot when it hit the ground', a week after surgery I have to call because instead of "NO WEIGHT BEARING" I slipped with the crutches and fell down a flight of steps directly on the cast, I do not want to call up and try to describe a 'kite flying incident'. I just think that is pushing it! :P

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

You can get a trainer kite (2meter wingspan), it shouldn't pick you up, unless you weigh something like a buck fifty and it's really freak'n windy. That's what we have and it's a blast to fly.

Ok, I was gonna do a search, then some big Texan guy in a hat ordered me to post.....
Where can I find a cool kite to take to the dz and play with till this horrendously itchy thing gets sawed off my leg??
Any ideas?

Hehe.. if you want a challenge, I have a Skytiger Hi60 (here)

I used to be into performace stunt kites, this one was the one I used for buggying.. I used to kite buggy a good bit, had a speedo on my buggy and got up to 50 MPH on hilly grassy land when the wind was blowing about 15 MPH. without the buggy you could do kite jumping which consisted of basically jumping up in the air and having the kite put you down about 10 - 15 feet from where you jumped :)

Cobra Kites has come a ways since I got out of the sport, their site [url http://www.cobrakites.com[/url] has plenty of pics.

Kevin

Or just call Brian. I recommend starting w/ the smallest kite he sells; 20' sq. You may get pulled around in a 20mph plus wind on the 20'. You will get pulled around under the 25' sq kite. The larger ones expect to get boosted into the air.

The 20' and 25' are easy to fly. You just maintain airspeed w/ the canopy by diving it towards the ground. The significant differnce is the work you have to do to pull the larger canopy out of it's dive. I got a solid workout after a half hour flying the 25' kite and still felt it in my back 3 days later.

It's also a read on wind conditions. When the kite stalls enough, you know wind conditions are right for swoopin. Pack it up and jump. B|

Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

there's a guy here in Perth, when we have major festivals he comes along with a few kites.
He drives some pickets into the ground and anchors a harness he is wearing to the pickets. when he's flying the kites he susspended in the aire and streering the kites, the HUGE, he himslef is very small he's a little asian man (chineese i think) he'd weight about 50kg (110lbs) in wet boots and clothes.:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, humph,
so much for a used kite....for any one who might have been interested.....
In an email from Brian:
We don't sell our used kites, as we need all the demos that we have.

Our prices are as follows:

Spitfire (20sf): $200.
Terrafoil: (25sf): $250.
Landsurfer: (35 sf): $350
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

You can find some used kites on Ebay. I have a 6' Parafoil: Ram air double line kite for sale. If anyone is intrested let me know and I can provide specifics. It is not as big as some you guys are talkign about but it is a great intro kite and is damn fun to fly.

.:skip

A couple more...

"No, that didn't work" - After this we tried an alternative way of attaching the kite to the sled. Note scrapemarks on asphalt.

"It is working" - A better idea was to attach the kite below the CG of the sled/riders-combo

"Off they go" - Last pic taken from distance, the assisting crew couldn't keep up with the sled when it got to speed.

The canopy used was a 200sqft Maverick. The risers were extended with three lengths of line from a Phantom26 each. We didn't measure it but I'm guessing the kite had 15 meters of extra lines.

We later flew the kite in a stronger wind without the sled; it took five guys holding on to the harness and the pilots, and it still was quite a workout.

We were planning to do this some day with a 520sqft Tandem-canopy....;)

Erno

no_that_did_not_work_s.jpg

it_is_working_s.jpg

off_they_go_s.jpg

Ever tried this on snow Erno?

We've had some fun with a little plastic 'tray' sleds, and old aeroconicals in muddy/snowy fields.....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Not yet, but in a couple of months... ;)

Actually we did tow the very same sled on a snow covered runway with a car at about 100kph. We made a cut-away system and all. It was a lot of fun, and would have been even more if the tow-rope wouldn't have been so short; the sled-driver got his face full of snow on every ride.:$B|

And you really don't need a sled or anything; when we tried this kite stunt the first time, we had a round parachute which was attached to a harness the backseat rider(me) was wearing. Needless to say, the very first shift in wind direction yanked me clean off the sled, and I plowed the airfield with my ass for about 70 meters.B| Quite a lot of fun, actually.

Erno

there's a guy here in Perth, when we have major festivals he comes along with a few kites.

He drives some pickets into the ground and anchors a harness he is wearing to the pickets. when he's flying the kites he susspended in the aire and streering the kites, the HUGE, he himslef is very small he's a little asian man (chineese i think) he'd weight about 50kg (110lbs) in wet boots and clothes.:ph34r:

I used to do the same thing but with a repelling harness and dog stake. Boy i bent up some dog stakes...

:)