footballhokie

Buying My First Rig

Alright, so its about that time... I'm ready to buy my own rig. I've been looking around for a while, more or less just to gauge prices on certain pieces new or used. My question isn't whether or not I should by new or used, (I have a pretty good idea of which route I'm going) or on what brand is better/cheaper ext.. The main thing I wanted to know is that when it comes to price, which option would you consider cheaper, buying a complete system or buying each individual parts separately?

buying a complete system or buying each individual parts separately?

I think it's hard to come up with an absolute answer on this... I could say one thing, and then the most awesomest deal comes up on the other option that makes any answer look stupid.

This being said, a few of the people who sell complete rigs have some sort of sentimental attachment to it it seems, which makes them list a higher price.
Remster

In a blend of trying to be cost effective, be safe, have nice kit and try and futureproof myself I've just ordered a new (but basic featured) custom container and new reserve but going to source a second hand AAD and main canopy. I figure at some point I'm going to change the main anyway and as long as the AAD is good for a few years that'll get me going. I find it hard to find pre-owned containers in my size though and I want to be comfortable. Others recommend not buying a new container and instead buying new canopies. YMMV.

If you can, find someone you respect who knows you and the local scene to guide you. Forget about fashion. We're all idiots and all look stupid, so you may as well be safe and stupid.

Personally, I would dissuade you from buying new for a first rig; however, that's just my opinion based on my goals in the sport. Only you can make the decision for yourself and you should properly inform yourself before making such a decision!

If it's any help: the reason that I decided to buy a used rig for my first rig is that I decided I'd rather spend that extra money on jumps and that I would eventually require a smaller container/canopies. I would be able to swap out main canopies and when I get to the point where there are many more jumps between my downsizes and canopy changes then I would buy a new rig!

There's an abundance of information out there if you look for it! The best people to answer your questions will always be your instructors as they know your specific case better than anyone that will give you advice on dz.com. :)
Hope this helps:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Your question makes no sense. You're being coy about buying new or used, but in the end you don't always have the option to buy a complete rig if you're going used. You stand a better chance of finding the main, reserve, and container you want/need if you buy them seperately.

If you're buying new, some of the gear stores will offer a package deal where you save some money by buying a complete rig.

Your question makes no sense. You're being coy about buying new or used, but in the end you don't always have the option to buy a complete rig if you're going used. You stand a better chance of finding the main, reserve, and container you want/need if you buy them seperately.

If you're buying new, some of the gear stores will offer a package deal where you save some money by buying a complete rig.

I didn't specify on purpose, i didn't want to have people tell my to buy new or to buy used. Let me rephrase though.. if I was to buy new would it be cheaper to buy a complete rig? Or buy the components separately and put it together? Or on the flip side buy a used complete rig or again buy the components and put it together. obviously this is a generalization because there could be really good deals out there on both sides.

You know what you want. You know what kind of rig you want, what kind of main you want, etc. etc.

Look it up on the classifieds and call Chutingstar to get a quote on what you want and compare.

This is such a general question, the only answer is it depends. Or both. The answer is both. It's both cheaper to by a complete system and cheaper to buy components. Just depends on which system and which components.

In your research, what have you seen thus far? :)

If you really want a helpful answer, list out the gear you are interested in, and what prices you have found. Others might give you some advice for finding the same thing cheaper.

Well as of now if i could pick and choose i would have:

Cyrpress 2 - 1,400$
Wings Vision/Mirage G4 (still thinking) 2167$/ 2,500$
Sabre 2 2,075$
PD Reserve 1,250$

Total New 6,892/7,225$

Disclaimer: this is all new gear with features i would like added in. most prices were from dealers not manufactures. If there was a complete rig with slight differences then i could still be satisfied

Cyrpress 2 - 1,400$
Wings Vision/Mirage G4 (still thinking) 2167$/ 2,500$
Sabre 2 2,075$
PD Reserve 1,250$

Total New 6,892/7,225$

Here's the problem with spending $7000 on a new rig. If it's your first rig, unless you are comitted to jumping a main/reserve at a 1.0 to 1.2 WL, this rig will not last you very long. You will not be able to 'overcome' the depreciation, and will lose quite a bit of money when you go to downsize.

Of course, if you're planning to buy a small container and stuff it to the gills with a large canopy, that does take care of that, but in itself that's a bad idea.

You could also push the WL on your canopy choices (again, I notice you omitted the sizes of the S2 and PDR) to eliminate the size issue, but that's an even worse idea.

It's neat how a guy who has to ask how to buy a rig seems to think he knows it all about 'what' to buy.