jigneshsoni

What goes through your mind when you get injured?

I am just a student as well going for the license and I've had only a few "good" landings. :S I did 3 jumps last weekend and the last one was really hurt. [:/]:o I flared a bit late and pretty much slammed on the ground. For the first few seconds, all I could think about is to "just get up" and that I will be fine. Walking back to the DZ all I could think about now is that my left leg is hurting again. B|

I was rushing the way home (as usual) to ice my leg again to start the healing process. For the next few hours and days I think about how to get better and how to prepare myself for the next jump.

Some people think I am insane for continuing to jump since they see me limping - I say I am passionate!!! :ph34r:

Tell me about it, not only did I get a close call just as recently as saturday but I also had my load of injuries prior to that my best comment still is though: "read the signs! This is not for you!". Anyways when you do get injured I believe it is just the same as every sport:

First get proper medical advice and check up, if you have a sprained ankle that is not healed properly you might just make it worse.

Second strengthen muscularly the area where you got injured or where you are likely to be injured, as it is weakened.

Third get back on the horse as quickly as you can and learn the lessons from your mistakes.

I also had trouble with flare height and hurt my knees in the process I asked for as much advice as I could get, trained high up in the air, went in the Alps speed-riding in order to better understand my canopy at close range from the ground etc...

Injuries are first to be avoided, however if they do happen please don't dismiss them right away take a lesson out of it, and take lessons from other people's injuries' as well it might prevent getting a new one of your own.

Blue skies
J. (who learned lots of lessons but still gets injured)

I biffed a landing this past weekend. It was a low/no wind day and I was coming in faster than I was used to. I flared a bit too late with not enough input. I end up sliding in on my knees. Normally this wouldn't be too bad but on that day I had decided that it was too hot to wear a jumpsuit and was in just shorts. I took a big chunk of skin off my knees for that mistake. My first thought was "Fuck, I hope I didn't break anything." My second thought was "I hope this stops bleeding soon so I can get on the next load."
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

What goes through your mind when you get injured?

I don't know, your spine, bits of bones and cartilage, maybe your collarbone, an eyeball might make it through. Tree branch, rock,...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

When I blew out my ankle 3 years ago, the thought progression ws basicly:
Wait, I think I'm ok, it's not that bad.
Oh, wait I can't move it, this is bad, golf cart to the office.
No, don't cut off the suit, I'm sure it's just a sprain.
Oh god, I don't have medical insurance, it better be a sprain.
Can someone give me a ride home?
Even though it's saturday, I'm sure it'll be ok to wait till monday to go into the student health center for free.
Call up friend to borrow set of crutches.
On monday, what do you mean I need to sit down in this wheelchair?
A chip off of the tibia and a jagged spiral fracture on the fibula? This x-ray looks like a horror show.
Are you sure, doesn't hurt that bad.
What do you mean I have to wait several days for surgery to let the swelling go down?
Two screws and a plate? That doesn't sound so bad.
When will I be able to skydive again?
Oh God, cellulites hurts worse than the break did!

Long story short, I went from starting to get my a license at the beginning of the summer with just enough money left over for a decent used rig to spending all summer with my leg propped up and 10k worth of medical bills.

On the up side, I finally am going to have time, money, and a functional body this summer. Sky here I come!

I broke my elbow (radia neck) while exiting the aircraft. I thought all the way to the formation "well, that sucked...stupid me to get stuck in the hole of the otter...dang, why can't I keep my grip". No biggie on landing but went to ER as it was really hurting. They said it wasn't broken so 3 days later I jump and it pops as I deploy my main. Now, I know I'm screwed. Nasty downwind landing with the thought of Scott Smith is going to KILL me.

As for not jumping again. I never thought that although the dr's said I would not get to. I proved them wrong. It is all what you want. Go for it.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.