JeffCa

Reserve extraction - What's a newbie to think?

I'm actually in this Gear and Rigging forum looking for something else but decided to chime in. One of the things Jeff that I think will keep you safe is the fact that you're asking these questions in the first place. There are pros/cons to every single piece of equipment in this sport. Lets face it, this isn't golf and jumping from a plane is inherently dangerous. Having knowledge, or I should say asking these types of questions and doing research etc, is one of the keys to safety. As a rigger and coach I'm appalled by the fact that most people (and I'm not talking about newbies) don't know anything about gear other than where their handles are. They're more concerned about looking cool. Makes me cringe [:/]

sundevil777

I would really like to see some experiments.

For the price of a repack at most, or just do it when a repack is needed and we can all contribute data of generally how hard it is to pull out the freebag with the main packed. I will be checking mine when I get a repack very soon.

FYI, prior to dropping off my container for a repack this last weekend, I had a friend video my reserve PC launch and then freebag extraction from the container by pulling the bridle.

http://youtu.be/E9C6KKt2RpQ

I was able to lift the container off the floor, but the bag came right out with a little jig of the bridle. Note: this will be my first repack on a Wings container I got new last Dec.

skydiveaddict

I'm actually in this Gear and Rigging forum looking for something else but decided to chime in. One of the things Jeff that I think will keep you safe is the fact that you're asking these questions in the first place. There are pros/cons to every single piece of equipment in this sport. Lets face it, this isn't golf and jumping from a plane is inherently dangerous. Having knowledge, or I should say asking these types of questions and doing research etc, is one of the keys to safety. As a rigger and coach I'm appalled by the fact that most people (and I'm not talking about newbies) don't know anything about gear other than where their handles are. They're more concerned about looking cool. Makes me cringe [:/]

+1
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

...it scares me.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I missed this thread when it first started--read the whole thing start to finish. What a great thread with a lot of great information and a little history to boot. I'd vote this thread for top thread of the year if we had such a thing! (Though if anyone remember a thread you think is better feel free to pm me a link!)

Thanks everyone who contributed to this one

3mpire

I missed this thread when it first started--read the whole thing start to finish. What a great thread with a lot of great information and a little history to boot. I'd vote this thread for top thread of the year if we had such a thing!

Why not create such an award? It can be called the "First Annual JeffCa Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Thread Creating".

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

3mpire

Why not create such an award? It can be called the "First Annual JeffCa Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Thread Creating".

Acronym needs work.
:D:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hello everybody,

even if this thread is a little bit older I wish to add some thoughts.

In my opinion, there isn't a general problem with extraction forces. If you've ever seen what great constructions these freebag-reserve-combos are then you get the impression that there's not that mutch room for improvements.

But! I still have another concern.
My biggest nightmare ever is a reserve PC trapped into my own burble.
These days, most of the reserve activations are from a low speed malfunction. A huge number of these are the result of an out of control spinner. And there's no problem for the PC to leave the burble, because the PC starts in a horizontal direction. It don't has to fight against gravity and almost immediately catches air. If I remember right, Jump Shack recommends for these reason never to search for a stable belly to earth position after you cut away.

But, when things get nasty you find yourself in a belly to earth position having a AAD fire. And this theems to be a 50/50 thing.
Another example is a 1500ft reserve pull after a missing handle or a hard pull situation. If your PC bounces in the burble then you can get into really serious problems.

Everybody who has ever seen a reserve PC starting on the ground knows that most of them are start a little bit weak. And much of them that are looking powerfull reduce their effectivity radically if you pull the reserve while laying on your belly. Much PCs wouldn't jump more than 2 feet. To be honest: That don't make me feel confident.

The manufacturers deal with this problems mostly in two different ways:

A) Make the PC strong that it will fly out of the burble.
B) Make some kind of balloon (eg Vector PC), so it will move out of the burble.

The problem with both is that I really don't can decide witch concept works better. I often have seen spring loaded PCs wasting their energy by flipping the PC during start and also I've seen much videos where a balloon type PC danced onto the burble.
An interesting question would be, why no manufacturer combines these concepts. And - in my impression - there are some manufacturers that don't go with either of these concepts.

RiggerLee

We're getting a little off topic here but I'd love to see your video. If you're taking request here's what I'd like to see. Find a decent size hanging harness stand or go down to the local school and use the swing set. Take a rope from the top of one riser to the other. run it through two pullies spread apart to replicate the angle of the force going up to the two halves of the canopies line set. Remember you will need several feet of rope between the pulley and riser to allow the rsl to extend. You can have the slider on the rope above the riser if you like but it should be able to slide up as normal. Release the left side so that the rls fully extends as it normally would. You should now be hanging cockeyed in the harness with the right side pulled almost off your shoulder and the left pulled way down as you sit asymetricly hanging by to one riser/rsl.

You want to film that? That shit would sell me. I'm a native born Texacan but my blood line traces back to Missouri.

Lee

Lee, not sure if you saw it or not, but they did the test you requested and posted it online. Is this what you wanted to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s6IyjvcnYa4

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Yes, that's exactly what I'd asked for. Sherman sent me a link to it. They were having a little trouble posting the slow mo portion of the video.

If you look closely they've added a short sliding lanyard that rides on the RSL and can slide over to ether side. This allows the RSL to function as designed with out putting any strain on the rip cord till the second riser releases. Actually it looks like it could be about an inch and a half longer to me but I wont split hairs. It's a really cool mod. The system is actually functional and reliable now. Who'd of thunk it? This as a real no shit functional upgrade to the system. I think they're writing up a notice or instructions or some thing for it. I get the impression that it's still in process and we may be stealing a little of his thunder here but you brought it up. It's a shame. He was probable planning a grand party/celebration/news conference, etc. I mean it's his first chance to announce a true up grade in his product in, what... forty years? It's a big deal for the guy.

All jokes aside. If you own a racer and you want to jump an RSL give him a call about this. It's a simple little thing but it makes a big difference. Seems like all the best ideas are that way. So what does this give you? It's a truly functional double sided RSL. If one riser breaks or releases you wont die. Let me clarify, the reseve ripcord will not be pulled. Actually it would be more accerat to say that if one riser failes to release the rip cord will not be pulled. It's a subtle difference. but let's look at it's compitition. I'll use the sky hook as an example. So if the right side releases, the pin is pulled, bag released and the riser yankes the reserve bag out of the container. The Collans lanyard, if hooked up properly should pull out the cut away cable going to the other side. But what if for any reason that release is delayed? Fails? Let's just say delayed. Stiff webbing, lot's of resson, hard set, nobody bothered to flex them. You know you're supposed to take your risers loose once a month and flex and masauge the webbing of the three rings, right. Any body do that? It's in the manual. So the bag goes up but the riser only pulls it about a quarter of way up the line set. Remember the other side hasn't released on time. So the canopy, the half still inflated, pinwheels around in a circle whith your free bag and lines in the middle of it. Then the other side releases cenching all this shit around the lines and bag of the reserve. Now you could say that that would come under the heading of failure to perform matanance. But there is something to be said for a system that doesn't try to perform actions out of order in the event of a minor failure. The only other truly double sided RSL that I can think of is the LOR system. It's been a long time sence I've had to deal with a lot of Euro gear. Do they even use that any more? It had it's own pain in the ass issues.

This is getting off the topic of this thread. If we're really going to get into this, and it is an interesting question/design then we should probable start another thread.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com