cbuffalino

Viewfinder on visor

So I have seen some camera guys who have taped off a rectangle on their helmet's visor that will allow them to compose the shot their camera is seeing while accounting for offset. Does anyone know how to work this out?
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

So I have seen some camera guys who have taped off a rectangle on their helmet's visor that will allow them to compose the shot their camera is seeing while accounting for offset. Does anyone know how to work this out?

Trial and error. ;)

You can have a friend spot the camera and tell you exactly where it's pointed (I like to zoom the camera all the way in to identify the center).

Put the helmet on, tighten it to normal. have a friend point the camera to a prominent object that's the approximate distance as the objects you want to film, take note of that location and start taping on the helmet.

Usually you see the paper asshole though. they're a dime for a million and easily adjustable.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"Usually you see the paper asshole though. they're a dime for a million and easily adjustable."

What's the "paper asshole?" Lol some unexplored region of myself, so you can say: "he doesn't know his head from his paper asshole."

No bud seriously what is the paper asshole?
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

"Usually you see the paper asshole though. they're a dime for a million and easily adjustable."

What's the "paper asshole?" Lol some unexplored region of myself, so you can say: "he doesn't know his head from his paper asshole."

No bud seriously what is the paper asshole?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=paper%20asshole&sb=score&mh=25 ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Also I was just thinking.... The camera itself doesn't have its own viewfinder to have someone line it up to.

Well, what kind of camera is it?

Do a search for frame sight on the forums. I use either a thin line of tape or sometimes a sharpy drawn line in my goggles or glasses to define everything within the frame. What you see is what you get.

It takes a bit of trial and error with your camera mounted and A/V out cables plugged into a tv to figure what is in frame.

Even though this method has a shorter sight radius than a ring sight. Your goggles and glasses don't move and I find it way more accurate. It is cheaper. Not having a ring sight is cleaner ( safer) and pretty much impossible to have it knocked out of alignment.