fatso

pulse 190 vs pilot 168 / need advice

I dont have 1000s of jumps or anything but i have owned both canopies. personally i found that the pulse had a good flare IF i flared really really smoothly, it didnt seem to react well to sharp input. I was loading the Pulse 170 at 1.2WL. Personally i found the openings on it to be a little brisk at times and find the pilot to be much more soft and have a bit more snivel. I prefer the pilot flare to the pulse but the pulse is not bad at all, just takes some getting used to. If you are looking at it because it packs smaller and you can keep the same container then yea it def does pack smaller. i was fitting my 170 into my 135-150 wings just fine.

on the other hand there is another person at my DZ who does not like the pulse flare at all.

If at all possible try it before buying.

just my 0.02

If you have a Pilot 168 you know how great a canopy it is. Size, age of canopy, age & type of lineset and whether your lines are in or out of trim all affect both opening and flare, as I'm sure you well know. Have you considered getting a new, larger Pilot with Dacron lines?

on the other hand there is another person at my DZ who does not like the pulse flare at all.

Had an experienced 4-way competitor who consistently landed her pulse like a bad student. Eventually sent it to PD, and after they test jumped it, they offered to build her a new canopy of her choice. There was something wrong with the way it was built.

Next question, for fatso. Have you taken a canopy control course? Sometimes it's not the parachute so much as the pilot.