baronn

1 ring risers

I found them :)
Talka 3 is more like a Talon copy.

If my memory is correct, Talka 2 was grounded because of the way the harness was sewn.Something with the reserve risers!...

...Alexey?

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Talka 3 is more like a Talon copy.

I saw Talon. Its not a Talon in anyway - it was their own construction.

For example - there were no top main flap - loop on the bottom then bottom flap, sideflaps, protective flap. Protective flap usially opens right after exit, and then you had half of the main d-bag sticking out. And - it had cordura main PC pocket.

About harness - till the "Impulse" line (96+-) all Talka (Talka, Talka M, Talka 3,...M) had 2 reserve risers for PZ-81 reserve (like on rounds).

There were few "strange" systems - like "student" system with round reserve without PC.
Lexa

This does not look like skydiving gear. Where is the harness? I could be wrong, but no one, not even the Russians would construct a riser with double throw zig zag, E cord=V69 (OK it may be F cord, V 92). No harness I've ever seen or heard of has been constructed of such flimsy thread. Unless the stitch was very very long, E cord (8.5 lbls) or even F cord (12 pounds) wouldn't hold anything like the strength of the webbing shown.

It looks more like a cargo release system with some kind of "pin puller" cable puller release mechanism, or a person pulling it. It doesn't look like there is even a harness. Just a connection point between two pieces of heavy webbing.

Are you sure it is even skydiving gear?

Hi walt,

Not to sound like some old know-it-all but I have been on dz's in Asia, South America and eastern Europe.

You would stop dead in your tracks if you were to see some of the stuff I've seen.

How about a harness built out of seat-belt webbing; got any certs to go with that? :o

JerryBaumchen

Yup. Things are different "over there"!

Those 3 photos of mine in post #19 are all ones of a local jumper's old gear that he occasionally uses -- so nothing is a stock shot off the web that's mislabelled.

The thin black 'mini risers' are the ones on his Talka rig, which are built right into the main canopy. (No separable Maillon links or Slinks.)

I've added a couple photos here.

The first is another pic of 'upside down' Russian 3 rings, on Beatnik's UT-15 rig. (The rig is face down for packing but one MLW is twisted around to show the 3 ring better)

The 'well used' UT-15 shows the harness better, how things do look a little lightweight compared to what we are used to. Relatively soft, thin webbing. And have a look at the leg strap snaps - same as used on the chest strap - just a thin springy plate as a gate on them. (The main canopy isn't attached. The disconnects on this rig are the "OSK" releases.)

Hi Peter,

In 1967, Dan Poynter got himself appointed as some type of support person for the US team. That got him to Europe where they were competing.

He took lots & Lots of photos of Eurpean gear as he was looking for ideas to update/improve US-made gear. Out of that came the pilot chutes with mesh in them ( prior to that, all pilot chutes were built with vanes, ala MA-1 ) and the high riding chest reserve, ala Mini-System & StyleMaster; Dan worked for Strong Entr. at the time.

On that same trip, Roy Johnson ( US National Champion ) traded his American built rig for a Czech rig, it had fittings like in your photos. He was jumping the rig in competition and he got a lot of weird looks whenever he sat it down for a gear inspection.

Just for those trivia folks out there . . .

JerryBaumchen

Well, it is skydiving gear after all. Fooled me. I still don't know how the sewing can be worth a shit, as it is flimsy thread - for a harness. But, I guess if you have a long enough stitch pattern.......... use any old thread. Don't sign me up to jump that rig.

Actually - all sport equipment that was made by Ivanovo (from T-4 to Po16\17) was constructed from that webbing (I can compare it to T8\T6) and was sewn 308 ZZ on Minerva machine.
I dont remember thread number. It was a "kapron" (nylon) and little thicker then #69 but I/m not sure about streight.

It was very comfy harness, BTW. Much better then on modern gear :)
And I dont remember any problem with it for all the history of USSR skydiving.

Only gear that was constructed from heavier webbing with heavy cord (like 5 or 6 US) were para-troop rigs - D-1.5, D1-5U, D-5, D-6...
Webbing calls LTKM kr P 44-1600, and is like T13 webbing.
1600 means kg. But I'm not sure, is it tensil streight or working streight - it is VERY strong. We tow ZIL 131 many times by that webbing without any problem.

Only on Talka they made harness from that webbing too and heavier thread and "some kind of 4 point WW". And it had a major flaw - non-slotted D-ring and no top horizontal line on WW block. That makes any reserve opening not on the belly very un-desirable...

And, AFAIK - they still produce "old sport line of equipment" with thin webbing and ZZ, as it was back in 60-70-80...
Lexa

This does not look like skydiving gear. Where is the harness? I could be wrong, but no one, not even the Russians would construct a riser with double throw zig zag, E cord=V69 (OK it may be F cord, V 92). No harness I've ever seen or heard of has been constructed of such flimsy thread.

Update your info: early Talons were made with ZZ...
But you can call us crazy russians anyway :)
Lexa

Well, it is skydiving gear after all. Fooled me. I still don't know how the sewing can be worth a shit, as it is flimsy thread - for a harness. But, I guess if you have a long enough stitch pattern.......... use any old thread. Don't sign me up to jump that rig.

I'll bite:P

I've jumped many of those and I'm still here.
I'm willing to bet that Ivanovo has made more harnesses than UPT and yet, we don't hear stories how people die every day while jumping them...
...maybe cord 5 is overkill B|

....but yeah, as Alexey said:"the Russians are crazy":P
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I'm willing to bet that Ivanovo has made more harnesses than UPT and yet, we don't hear stories how people die every day while jumping them...

Hmmmm.
I think Ivanovo made about 1000000 systems till the end of USSR :)

Not sure, how many US manufacturers can compete with that :)
Lexa