ScoopUK

High vs Low chest strap?

Hi all,

Probably a really simple question but I'm looking at ordering a new container (Racer 2k3) and one of the options is chest strap location and whether I would like it high or low.

The thing is I don't really know. I like the idea of it being higher as it keeps the over-the-shoulder part of the harness together so it can't slip off a shoulder but then I like the idea of it low so it's not strangling me under canopy either.

I'm 6'2" if that makes any difference. Not interested in high performance canopy flying but I want to be secure in my harness for freeflying.

What should I go for? Is this meant more as a male v female preference for comfort?

Cheers, it just confused me a bit!

As it happens I've just placed an order for a classic racer. I didn't really see what the 2k3 offered over the classic other than maybe more modern styling.

That would also be my choice.Modern styling has gotten us into a lot of trouble. When I designed the 2K3 I found great difficulty in extracting the reserve bag. I cut the riser covers back as far as I could but it still wasn't enough. I knew the capability of the pilot chute so I had a target force to go for. I eventually made more modifications to the bag itself and to the top of the container to provide extraction, in all cases, equal to the Classic. This lession is why I am so vocal about this problem I have been there and done that.
I still prefer the Classic.

That would also be my choice.Modern styling has gotten us into a lot of trouble. When I designed the 2K3 I found great difficulty in extracting the reserve bag. I cut the riser covers back as far as I could but it still wasn't enough. I knew the capability of the pilot chute so I had a target force to go for. I eventually made more modifications to the bag itself and to the top of the container to provide extraction, in all cases, equal to the Classic. This lession is why I am so vocal about this problem I have been there and done that.
I still prefer the Classic.

That's good to hear that I've made the right choice and also refreshing to hear a manufacturer being honest about their products. Thanks John.

When I designed the 2K3 I found great difficulty in extracting the reserve bag. I cut the riser covers back as far as I could but it still wasn't enough. I knew the capability of the pilot chute so I had a target force to go for. I eventually made more modifications to the bag itself and to the top of the container to provide extraction, in all cases, equal to the Classic.

John,

What do you think about the Tear Drop (photo attached). The amount of reserve container covered by the main riser covers has always scared me! There is less then an inch from the reserve PC to the riser covers. BTW, wasn't it intended to be a Racer rip-off ;)?

I saw one of your mill rigs at PIA with the magnets all the way down the side. Is the classic sport rig avaloble that way or are you still using Velcro?

I have to say that the rig I saw actually looked pretty cool. People have been trying forever to build a downwards opening cover that would not interfear with the reserve tray, as many of the tray type cover popular today tend to do. I wont debate whether earlier designs with the amount of Velcro they contained constituted a functional system or not and the attempts at a velcroless I wont even mention. but the racer I saw actually looked like a practical design. With the magnets the thing actually worked and might constitute the first truly practical alternative to tray type riser covers.

It's embarising to say that something on a racer actually impressed me... but it did.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I have purchased two new 2k3 racers in the past year--the first one I got with a high chest strap and the second was with a low one. At first the high strap felt a bit strange because it was higher than on my previous rig but now that I am used to it, I am happy with either. Both harnesses fit great.
cheers
John

I saw one of your mill rigs at PIA with the magnets all the way down the side. Is the classic sport rig avaloble that way or are you still using Velcro?

No more velcro. If you saw the red sport rig next to the hanging tandem it was a Classic Racer and it had magnets.

You must do pennants for saying something good about a Racer which is usually spelled with a capital "R". ;)

Thanks Lee

BTW: We have been doing it (magnets) for about a year and they work great.

Scoop, please post photos and opinions when you get your rig delivered and when you've jumped it for a bit. I'm interested in learning more about Racer.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Thanks skydiverek. I've seen that site, which really intrigued me, and that's me in the comments chewing out Jump Shack for their crappy website. I was just on the JS website again tonight, and took a more serious look around. They've got lots of technical articles that other manufacturers don't post, which is really cool. But it's horribly poorly presented. The FAQ, if you can even find it (it's buried way down as a link at the bottom of the technical articles, of all places), was last updated in 1996! 17 years ago!? They're talking about containers that I don't think they're even producing anymore. How about adding this particular question about the chest strap to the FAQ, as a start, then putting the FAQ somewhere where it can be easily found?

Come on guys, what the hell are you doing at Jump Shack re marketing/promotion? You've got a product that you claim to be the best in the world and you give it a piss-poor presentation that is difficult to navigate and to find the information we're looking for. I did find a photo of my first instructor on there, though.

Take a look at this, "the home page":

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?PageID=HOME

How ugly and empty is that?

Racer has made my shortlist of 3 containers that I'm interested in. I've already cleared it with my rigger. But if I wasn't the kind of person who mostly looks for substance instead of flash, it would have been off the list a long time ago. I know they like to brag that their rigs haven't had a major revision in decades, but websites need to be revised more frequently than that.

Wow, what an off-topic tirade. It felt good to get off my chest. It feels like a very tight strap has been released from my high chest area. There, am I back on topic now?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

BTW: We have been doing it (magnets) for about a year and they work great.

A year? Your FAQ, apparently last updated in 1996, says you use "fully velcro-sealed riser covers."

What do you think about the Tear Drop (photo attached).

Scares me. But if you know me you know that my first thought is "I want to test it".

I did 2 test on different Teardrops yesterday morning. Both with normal fitting canopies. One was 14, the other 16 lbs.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen