idlewild70

Renting your rig out

In my opinion, if you are not going to be getting back into the sport very soon and you don't have any sentimental attachment to the rig I would just sell it outright.

You also have to take into account any liability that could go with the rental, if the renter gets hurt on your rig, someone could be knocking on your door.

If you are going to rent it out, friend or not, I would have them sign a contract with all the terms of possible scenarios covered, just so everyone knows what the standard is. If you were just letting a buddy use it one weekend or something, thats different than renting it out on a constant basis, potentially to someone you don't know very well.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

It would start with a written agreement.

Wendy P.

I like the idea of both renting out my rig AND a written agreement. Would that written agreement really hold up in court or is that written agreement bulletproof in an event such as (see scenario below):

Some dude : Hey mang, i'd like to rent out your rig for the day.
Meh : hmmm, you weigh 190lbs, my wing is a 150, and the harness looks like it'll fit you...yeah man go for it, but here's a written agreement that releases me of ANY liability and you cannot sue me if anything goes wrong.
Some dude : hmmmm, is your rig air worthy, when's the last time the reserve has been packed.
Meh : yeah it's airworthy and that last reserve pack was yesterday.

I have given a loan of my rig several times but only to people i trust. but the understanding and agreed before hand was always, you break it you buy it. or damage it you pay the repair. if the canopy would be lost a new one will have to be got.
but thats here in ireland and i trust my friends :S

depending what kind of friend he is, you could ask for a deposit.

rodger

It would start with a written agreement.

Wendy P.

I like the idea of both renting out my rig AND a written agreement. Would that written agreement really hold up in court or is that written agreement bulletproof in an event such as (see scenario below):

Some dude : Hey mang, i'd like to rent out your rig for the day.
Meh : hmmm, you weigh 190lbs, my wing is a 150, and the harness looks like it'll fit you...yeah man go for it, but here's a written agreement that releases me of ANY liability and you cannot sue me if anything goes wrong.
Some dude : hmmmm, is your rig air worthy, when's the last time the reserve has been packed.
Meh : yeah it's airworthy and that last reserve pack was yesterday.

There is no "bulletproof" but a written agreement goes a long way.
I've been bitten once; let a newbie student 'rent' a rig. After some nasty ass-slides, the rig was returned to me filthy, not even a "thank you." Having things in writing assures that at the least, you each know what is expected from each party, and it demonstrates that you care for your gear, and expect the same from them.

If it's the rig in your profile, that is a sought after newbie/big boy rig.
Renting a rig is like renting a house.
It always winds up being a PITA.

That rig would sell easy.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

These were most of my concerns. Even with a written agreement, if they chop the canopy and can't afford to buy a new one...

Does anyone have a boiler plate for an agreement?

If they can't afford to replace the canopy, what good does a written agreement do for you? You want to spend money to sue a guy who can't afford a used canopy?

How about in the case of injury? Forget about you being sued because it was your rig, but let's say the guy breaks a leg, plevis or whatever. Now the EMTs may cut the rig off of him, and if the guy doesn't have insurance, repairing your rig is going to be at the end of a very long list of bills he has to pay. Even with insurance, the loss of income is going to leave you with a cut harness and not much else.

DZs and gear stores rent gear because it facilitates other business. Even then, they have other streams of revenue to offset any looses they might incur based on a 'problem' during a rental situation. As a stand-alone business proposition, it just doesn't make any sense.

Post the rig in the classifieds, and just sell it outright. This time of year, used gear tends to sell quick, and you'll get cash in yout pocket with no 'ongoing' situations to worry about.

These were most of my concerns. Even with a written agreement, if they chop the canopy and can't afford to buy a new one...

Does anyone have a boiler plate for an agreement?

If they can't afford to replace the canopy, what good does a written agreement do for you? You want to spend money to sue a guy who can't afford a used canopy?

How about in the case of injury? Forget about you being sued because it was your rig, but let's say the guy breaks a leg, plevis or whatever. Now the EMTs may cut the rig off of him, and if the guy doesn't have insurance, repairing your rig is going to be at the end of a very long list of bills he has to pay. Even with insurance, the loss of income is going to leave you with a cut harness and not much else.

DZs and gear stores rent gear because it facilitates other business. Even then, they have other streams of revenue to offset any looses they might incur based on a 'problem' during a rental situation. As a stand-alone business proposition, it just doesn't make any sense.

Post the rig in the classifieds, and just sell it outright. This time of year, used gear tends to sell quick, and you'll get cash in yout pocket with no 'ongoing' situations to worry about.

Annoying lawyer here. Agreed, for all these reasons. With or without a written agreement, renting's too risky (versus benefit) for the private owner, unless you know the person well, AND he lives locally, AND he has plenty of money and a good job.

I agree with "sell it outright" if a need for money is your prime motivator. If not, you can always just keep it in your closet to have jumpable gear on hand if the itch to get back into the sky needs to be scratched in a couple-few years.

Don't do it! Just sell it. Big boys rigs a very hard to come by. Either sell it for a good price or put it in your closet. If you decided to jump that after 10 years or never come back to the sport - you will be surprised that it still worth descent amount of money, it may be out of fashion, but still solid and safe rig to jump. peoples treat rental like shit. I do rent a cars a lot for my work and most of my cars are drive and looks like they been driven for 100K miles and most of them still have only 10-20K on the odometer....

I don't know how your gear store works, but ours in deland usually will buy your rig from you to resell or they sometimes do consignment where they will be able to help get the right person locally to buy it. You could even talk to them about renting it out and see if they will let you pending their inspection and paperwork or something. Just a thought :)

I don't know how your gear store works, but ours in deland ......

Just for reference, most DZs do not have an on-site gear store. You happen to be at one of the larger, year round DZs that also happens to be in the same town as several major manufacturers, so you do have a very nice gear store.

More common is the DZ has some 'stuff' for sale, like goggles, altimeters, audibles, etc, and can order anything else you need. They might also help you find or sell a rig, but in terms of a 'store', not so much.

I don't know how your gear store works, but ours in deland ......

Just for reference, most DZs do not have an on-site gear store. You happen to be at one of the larger, year round DZs that also happens to be in the same town as several major manufacturers, so you do have a very nice gear store.

More common is the DZ has some 'stuff' for sale, like goggles, altimeters, audibles, etc, and can order anything else you need. They might also help you find or sell a rig, but in terms of a 'store', not so much.

good to know, I guess I totally forgot about that and was taking it for advantage B|

good to know, I guess I totally forgot about that and was taking it for advantage

Along the same lines, most don't have a full restaurant/bar inbetween manifest and the hanger.

Or a fleet of turbine aircraft.

Or a paved runway.

Or a helicopter training school on the same airport (but that's probably a good thing).